Join Today

Thread: Brake problem

This user has no status
    Thanks

Brake problem

Hey guys

Right some of you might know i'm going to wobblys on saturday for bbq and the brakes have been giving me issues fora while now

This is what has been done

New front discs/pads
    offical volvo

Rear discs and pads

Mintex ones

Now brakes were still soft after bleeding so i and when come off pedal that rear right brake pad moving about

Into garage and my volvo guy tells me who i have used for 5 years that the pad is moving up and down in rear right calipier, it has seem to have corroded a bit and he reckons if i replace with volvo ones might hold better

He says this is not causing the piston to travek more and it is not loose side to side.

He clamped the front ones off to check the pedal and the pedal was better with it clamped off.

there is still some movement in front calipers when not moving, i know there has to be some or it would seize up all the time but still too much he reckons.

He didn't give me answer in how to fix as he looked at brakes for free for me when replacing a drop link.

So the pedal is soft, though safe mind, he says he thinks is just the same as his v70

though he has 2.4 petrol with 280mm brakes, i have a t5 with 301 i think it is.

The brakes have always been good on the car and im not 100% happy with them, especially since i got like 10 hour round trip to drive in 5 odd days time.

anyone got any suggestions off hand, replace fluid, might of over boiled???, was changed about 2 years ago, new pipes ???

I just don't want to go down the route of doing things and it the same, the pedal has always been good and i assumed was because back brakes needed done, then i changed front and ahhhhh I'm stressed about it lol

Please help, anyone at the BBQ on Saturday will be able to see what i mean, unless there is something so obvious

Cheers guys

Bubba

This user has no status
    Thanks

if the guy clamped of the front brakes and the pedal was better then id say you need to bleed the front brakes...atleast just to make sure theres no air left in it,
    and yes the pistons in the calipers should move a little,
    as for the rears,
    maybe the old pads have worn the seat on the caliper so now you fit new pads there is a gap that the pad sits on,if the pad is moving up and down then the pins may be worn aswell,
    possibly due to lack of grease or copperslip etc when the last set of pads where in there,
    you will need to remove the pads to check the state of the caliper,
    if its caliper worn then you will need to replace it.
    hope that helps.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to t5 stealth For This Useful Post:

bubba_1986 (Monday 19th July 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5 stealth View Post
    if the guy clamped of the front brakes and the pedal was better then id say you need to bleed the front brakes...atleast just to make sure theres no air left in it,
    and yes the pistons in the calipers should move a little,
    as for the rears,
    maybe the old pads have worn the seat on the caliper so now you fit new pads there is a gap that the pad sits on,if the pad is moving up and down then the pins may be worn aswell,
    possibly due to lack of grease or copperslip etc when the last set of pads where in there,
    you will need to remove the pads to check the state of the caliper,
    if its caliper worn then you will need to replace it.
    hope that helps.
    Cheers mate, sort of thing was thinking, i bled brakes no that long ago.

Think will do again just to make sure though, i am looking to change rear calipier, i mean't would the pad moving up and down cause piston longer travel and thus soft pedal.

I was thinking not, only if it was moving from side to side. If i bleed the brakes at front and still the same then what ?????
    Bubba

Thread Information