Join Today

Thread: Tyre choice????

This user has no status
    Near scarborough, North yorkshire, england.
    Thanks

Tyre choice????

Hi, I've been to the local tyre and exuast center today to see about a new set of stickys. The chap there recommended pirelli p6000's at £106.50 a pop. Is that a good deal or is there a tyre out there that does a good job at less cost? I have standard rims on my t5 but £425 for a set of tyres? An extra £250 could get me 4 funky alloys with tyres included! What to do?
    855 turbo '96 manual and its alive!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 850t5 View Post
    Hi, I've been to the local tyre and exuast center today to see about a new set of stickys. The chap there recommended pirelli p6000's at £106.50 a pop. Is that a good deal or is there a tyre out there that does a good job at less cost? I have standard rims on my t5 but £425 for a set of tyres? An extra £250 could get me 4 funky alloys with tyres included! What to do?
    My personal favourite:

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...62b0s300p12905

Great in the dry, great in the wet, and last really well! I will be putting the same tyres on when these eventually run out of tread.

I don't care if you have a T-5, a T-5R or an R......
    ......they wouldn't have existed if my Turbo hadn't forged the path!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DuncVolvoTurbo For This Useful Post:

850t5 (Friday 16th July 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I had a quick look around and they get one hell of a review. For half the price too! I'm sold mate, thanks.

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 850t5 View Post
    Pirelli P6000 are a word that begins in S, and ends in T.

Falkens, Vredstein Ultracs, anything apart from P6000's please!

The Falkens in the link should be just fine for you, some people say the Falkens don't grip that great but loads of people like Dunc say otherwise.

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

6. The Following User Says Thank You to t5_monkey For This Useful Post:

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    Vredesteins are ok, my third choice
    Continental SportContacts are my second choice

but

Uniroyal Rainsport2 get my top place - I've fitted these to my last 3 cars as a matter of course. Fantastic wet weather ability, very good dry and good mileage out of them too.

I had Kumho Ecstas on my 850R when I bought it - they're fine in the dry but a bit tricky in the wet...

Avoid Pirelli (cr@p) and Michellin (what price? for a truely average tyre?! )

BTW Also try www.mytyres.co.uk - another excellent tyre retailer but allow a bit for fitting by a local indy
    Currently - '96 850R auto

Previously - '97 S70 T5 manual, '98 V70R AWD auto, '98 V70R Auto in Nautic Blue Mica with LPG (went to Germany!), 1996 850R Auto, lots of various 940s, 960s and a crappy 850 2.0

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Right then. I'm gonna have to write a list and try the lot lol All better and cheaper so far. Good work lads

This user has no status

Thanks
    As T5-Monkey says, P6000's are not great to say the least.

Over the last 2 years I have tried (different cars)

Bridgestone RE050
    Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3
    Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrical
    Toyo T1R's
    Continental Sport contact 2
    Vredestein Ultrac sessanta

The best handling in the dry was the Bridgestone RE050, fantastic turn in and grip, but not very progressive when they let go. Wear wait is atrocious though, 7000 miles from the fronts.

The best in the wet is the Vredestein Ultrac sessanta, I have these on the S60 now, really good all-rounder, not as noisy as some, good turn in, progressive breakaway, but the sidewalls are not as hard as some, which means a slightly softer ride, more compliance but the shoulders are showing signs of wear with not that much mileage.

The best overall tyre for me was the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrical, I have had these on two cars now. Grip levels are just so high and feedback is great too. Dry handling I would say it is 95% of the RE050's and in the wet they are maybe 90% of the old GSD3's. They last really well, are much quieter than many high performance tyres and over recent years have come top in many tyre tests. I will go back to these when the current ones wear.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Turkish For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    Vredstien sessanta's everytime. good wear good handling good price.

although i am gonna try some toyo's next as the wear rate in this hot weather has been horrendous......

13. The Following User Says Thank You to wegal For This Useful Post:

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    I'm using the Falken ZE-912, they are as good as the reviews say, I can't belive how better they are, the car has stopped wheel-spinning out of junction in all weathers.

They are well worth the money.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I had ZE912 Falkans on my rims before the Vredestein Sessantas. They were a very very poor tyre and dangerous in the wet. Dunlop sport maxx tyres are great but pricey. The Vredesteins are excellent all round tyres in all conditions. They wear well but if used hard in the dry do suffer from my experience and wear very quickly.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi mate,
    If you are after standard 16" size I am just about to advertise a full set of Columba alloys as soon as I get the pics sorted.

At least two of the tyres are virtually brand new Vredestein Ultracs 205x45s and the other Ultracs again have at least 5mm on them.

I am looking for as near to £100 for the alloys and tyres combined, so take the tyres and flog the alloys for £60 and you are onto a winner.

I am in Stockport if you fancy a look or give me an email address and I will wiz you a few pics when I get them onto my PC.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Pliskin For This Useful Post:

850t5 (Saturday 17th July 2010)

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan M View Post
    I had ZE912 Falkans on my rims before the Vredestein Sessantas. They were a very very poor tyre and dangerous in the wet. Dunlop sport maxx tyres are great but pricey. The Vredesteins are excellent all round tyres in all conditions. They wear well but if used hard in the dry do suffer from my experience and wear very quickly.
    Funny that, compared to my other tyres which where Sportiva, made by Continental, the falken's grip like sh*t to a stick!

I know the previous falkens the ZE-512, they where deadly in the wet, the front of my cossie would slide beautifly with them on

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Volvostorm For This Useful Post:

850t5 (Saturday 17th July 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Being 'in the trade' I've tried many brands over the years (and of course got them at trade prices !) and personally I've given up on the big brands. I've settled on Nexens at the moment. I was using N6000's which I was pretty impressed with and have now moved on to N8000's which seem even grippier at the slight expense of longevity (but they are asymmetrics so I can move 'em about !) I haven't been tempted to go back to any big branded tyres (big expensive !) as they don't seem to offer anything extra over the Nexens.
    Old Car: 855 T5 in Grey and rust (dead and gone, well, most of it !
    Missus' ride: Citroen C4 coupe 1.6 HDi,
    Modifications: Nowt.....yet !
    Daily driver: 855 R in Black,
    Currently nursing a blown head gasket, new engine on its way !
    Recent addition: Freshly imported Honda Stepwagon,
    Slowly turning into a camper van !

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I used to use Toyos Proxes T1-R's on any car, but now I have found something even better, if a bit "track like".

I got Yokohama Parada 2's fitted to my T4, and they are superb. 215/40/17 for £90 each locally, probably cheaper if you go to Camskill or Blackcircles.

Pirelli P6000's are the most overpriced tyre I have ever seen and wet weather performance is shocking.
    Back in Black (T4)

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    All this talk about tyres, I only rip the side wall of one of my rear tyres! Not happy

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i've got yokohama parada's on mine. grip in the dry is superb, but not finding them too good in the wet. although with my mbc cranked up i don't think any tyres are gonna be that good in the wet!!!

Bailey dump valve + Boost gauge + Manual boost controller + K&N induction kit + Powerflow cat back exhaust + Strut Brace + Bilstein shock n sports springs with 40mm drop
    = very fast and still turns corners

This user has no status

Thanks
    I would appreciate some advice on wheels also.

I have 16" Denzet Type 1 which look too small but are not a bad match for the original Volan.

What is the best looking aftermarket 17" alloy as I want to change?

thanks

your mars a welder

Thanks
    a think the way you drive has a big part of the chose aswell m8.
    av had kumho ku 31s on and they were pretty good and at 70quid a corner in 215/45/17 werent that bad ,had cheap 1s on when i got it and were utter garbage , if i had my choose ad have 2 set of wheels ,winter/summer and t888 for summer use and a good wet tyre for the winter but i cant so have to find a good inbetween lol
    av heard good things about the verdstiens tho

Thread Information