Join Today

Thread: So What next ?

This user has no status

Thanks

So What next ?

Well its that time when I start wondering where to go next with my S60 T5....

No its not for sale so dont get too excited lol....

Currently everything is standard with the exception of the MTE stage II remap. and the front engine mount / strut brace conversion Im just not sure what to do next, I want more power... :-)

Im guessing that to get more involves some engine work, has anyone done this on a P2 car ? or what sort of BHP can the P2 ME9 (??) engine take without changing the oily bits. 300bhp (340bhp claimed but its not been on the rollers to confirm that) is starting to feel a wee bit tame now. I guess I could go for the stage 3 but im not sure how much more thats going to give in real terms.

Id love to put a second turbo on it but thats going to be way out of my price range.

Water / methanol wont give me any more power, I suppose new down pipes and a race cat combined with a cat back wont hurt, but again for just over a grand I cant see too much more power being gleaned.

Need some idea's cos I have a feeling Ive got as much out of this car in terms of power as is realistically possible. Id be happy with an additional 100bhp. Can I nitrous it ?

My other choice is a HUGE loan and buy a Jag XKR, but i like my volvo too much to sell it and I cant buy another car.... no one needs 5 cars lol

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Turbo upgrade? 100 Cell racing cat d/p? bigger I/C - bigger injectors?
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wegal View Post
    Well its that time when I start wondering where to go next with my S60 T5....

No its not for sale so dont get too excited lol....

Currently everything is standard with the exception of the MTE stage II remap. and the front engine mount / strut brace conversion Im just not sure what to do next, I want more power... :-)

Im guessing that to get more involves some engine work, has anyone done this on a P2 car ? or what sort of BHP can the P2 ME9 (??) engine take without changing the oily bits. 300bhp (340bhp claimed but its not been on the rollers to confirm that) is starting to feel a wee bit tame now. I guess I could go for the stage 3 but im not sure how much more thats going to give in real terms.

Id love to put a second turbo on it but thats going to be way out of my price range.

Water / methanol wont give me any more power, I suppose new down pipes and a race cat combined with a cat back wont hurt, but again for just over a grand I cant see too much more power being gleaned.

Need some idea's cos I have a feeling Ive got as much out of this car in terms of power as is realistically possible. Id be happy with an additional 100bhp. Can I nitrous it ?

My other choice is a HUGE loan and buy a Jag XKR, but i like my volvo too much to sell it and I cant buy another car.... no one needs 5 cars lol
    FMIC ? Not sure how good the stock one is on your car.

Sports Cat and Downpipe - maybe another 10-20bhp, your best bet would be the new injectors, FMIC and downpipe as a package - that would get you a fair bit more power.

Would a new turbo be that expensive? an owen developments 19T would be pretty serious - that with a remap, FMIC and downpipe would take you to around a genuine 330-340bhp but you'd be looking at some serious cost.

If you want fun - you'd probably be better off with some cheaper suspension mods like:

- bigger front discs with braided brake lines
    - decent shocks and sports springs
    - Polybushing all round

No faster would handle nicer tho You'll always get bored of the speed eventually ....

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

This user has no status

Thanks
    Cant do much with the suspension Monkey, its a 4C chassis so altering the shocks is basically a non starter.

Looked at the intercooler option already, there is no after market one for the P2's so you have to have one made, which can be done... Ive been quoted £1400 plus fitting, and fitting involves a lot of modification to the front of the car, probably 2 days labour all in, again, how much difference will it really make ?

Im told that the KKK-24 turbo is a good one, if i go and stick a 19 on it then i suspect that lag will start to be an issue, I dont want lag. I could go the hybrid KKK i suppose but I think im getting into territory that no one has crossed before. I dont really want to be a guinne pig for a tuning company.

Im not prepared to spend £3,000 and then find ive got 20 or 30 bhp more.

Im still interested in the nitrous possibility but not sure if the internals will handle 400 bhp.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    What year is your S60?
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

This user has no status

Thanks
    Do the exhaust/downpipe first, this will not give a lot of extra power ( I hesitate to say bhp because it's a meaningless calculation ) but will provide a good basis for any further mods.

Pookie

This user has no status

Thanks
    hi Chris its a 2006 on an 06 plate

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wegal View Post
    hi Chris its a 2006 on an 06 plate
    You should be able to see around the genuine 350BHP mark on that engine with the K24 and a few other mods. A downpipe makes a big improvement, from what I hear, as does fitting an uprated intercooler.

Not sure if you're on T5D5. There are a few guys running the same engine/turbo. There are some really good threads over there about uprated IC's not costing huge money.

To see anything like 400hp you'd have to be looking at bolting on a Garrett GT28/30.
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    If driven hard your car will loose power due to high estimated EGT's caused by the standard Downpipe. The other big restriction is the intercooler that if changed can release close to 20BHP as seen here http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/12199-s..._1#entry139742 as a side effect of increased air flow through the rad pack the air con becomes colder after it is done.

It is a direct replacment for the standard one, I can supply and fit it for you if you want.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Williams For This Useful Post:

Justin (Tuesday 13th July 2010)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi Tim, can you PM me with prices. Im going to go the FMIC route with exhaust, cat and manifold change, maybe bigger injectors but want some further advise about that as Im not sure what effect it will have.

Thanks all.

Thread Information