Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Near scarborough, North yorkshire, england.
    Thanks

Turbo oil leak- Any ideas?

I have a 850 t5 '96 and I noticed the advisory note section that it says "oil leak". When I phoned the previous owner he said it was coming from the turbo. Does anyone know of a c9mmon cause that it could be? What's the worst case scenario?

ATB,
    Danny.
    855 turbo '96 manual and its alive!

in dilema near ilford
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 850t5 View Post
    I have a 850 t5 '96 and I noticed the advisory note section that it says "oil leak". When I phoned the previous owner he said it was coming from the turbo. Does anyone know of a c9mmon cause that it could be? What's the worst case scenario?

ATB,
    Danny.
    usual suspect is the turbo return pipe into crank case cheap fix 1 seal 1 gasket 10/15 mins, and or oil filler cap seal letting it by it runs down over back of engine again a cheap fix

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 5seaterT5x2 For This Useful Post:

850t5 (Tuesday 6th July 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks bud. Would either of those cause a lack of boost? Unless I'm getting used to the power she did seem a lil on the flat side today? Also anyone have an idea of how far the 'turbo' needle on the dash should go upto when its max'd out? At the moment mine is getting upto about 2/3rds. Not even half way into the white...
    Last edited by 850t5; Tuesday 6th July 2010 at 21:18.

in dilema near ilford
    Thanks
    Thanks bud. Would either of those cause a lack of boost? Unless I'm getting used to the power she did seem a lil on the flat side today? Also anyone have an idea of how far the 'turbo' needle on the dash should go upto when its max'd out? At the moment mine is getting upto about 2/3rds. Not even half way into the white...
    no would not think the 2 things i mentioned would affect the boost. if you think theres a boost leak most likely one or more of the hoses is split i should think they do get a bit brittle with age bit like me

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 5seaterT5x2 For This Useful Post:

850t5 (Tuesday 6th July 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Any idea how far the turbo needle should go up?

in dilema near ilford
    Thanks
    Any idea how far the turbo needle should go up?
    memories not what it was sorry but sounds like its not to far out??? is it auto or manual? have you any fault lights up on dash?? have you checked fault codes??

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Manual 5 speed. Er... fault codes? No idea. I'm not even sure how to tell which turbo it has I'm a true newbie lol No lights come on either. Apart from the oil leak everything looks good.

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,912 Times in 1,859 Posts
    I think I may have the same problem as I have oil on the back lower section of the engine, bit new to the turbo scene can anyone post a picture of where the turbo return pipe/seal/gasket is please.
    Arguing is pointless....she may not be right but she's never wrong

Tell her a remap is just having your satnav updated.....

This user has no status

Thanks
    Guys i thought i had oil leak issues with my turbo too! Also new to the turbo scene. Had smoke blowing out the back and was told my turbo was burning oil!

Turned out it was the PCV system blocked. There is a pipe goes from the PCV to the intake pipe right before the turbo which was burst and leaking oil into and onto the turbo! looked bad but a cheap and easy fix!

I also had a burst boost pipe (have Reverse pipework but it was the first boost pipe from the turbo) which was also leaking oil over the turbo. This would explain the loss of boost pressure too!!

Finally i found out the oil filler seal was knackered and my rocker was literally filled with oil that was running down the back of the block!! For about 20 quid and a couple of hours work my old brick now keeps her oil to herself!!
    Last edited by T5hug; Wednesday 7th July 2010 at 13:13.
    S60 D5 Sport - everyday cruiser

Volvo 850 T5 Turbo - Toy awaiting reconstruction

in dilema near ilford
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T5hug View Post
    Guys i thought i had oil leak issues with my turbo too! Also new to the turbo scene. Had smoke blowing out the back and was told my turbo was burning oil!

Turned out it was the PCV system blocked. There is a pipe goes from the PCV to the intake pipe right before the turbo which was burst and leaking oil into and onto the turbo! looked bad but a cheap and easy fix!

yep could be that as well pcv aint to dear to sort fair amount of work but not to traumatic if reasonably competant with spanners

I also had a burst boost pipe (have Reverse pipework but it was the first boost pipe from the turbo) which was also leaking oil over the turbo. This would explain the loss of boost pressure too!!

Finally i found out the oil filler seal was knackered and my rocker was literally filled with oil that was running down the back of the block!!

yea as was mine but also for the sake of a couple quid and ten mins do the turbo oil return pipe as well.

For about 20 quid and a couple of hours work my old brick now keeps her oil to herself!!
    it's amazing how much oil can get down back of engine

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 5seaterT5x2 View Post
    it's amazing how much oil can get down back of engine
    Cant believe i may have spoken too soon!!! Went out tonight and have a drop under the car!! It is just a drop and i just hope its been a pool of oil somewhere that has been sitting!!!

850T - It might be worth phoning the garage that done your MOT and ask them what this is in relation to. It would seem strange that they would note this unless there was a huge puddle on their floor!
    S60 D5 Sport - everyday cruiser

Volvo 850 T5 Turbo - Toy awaiting reconstruction

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'll give it a go. Maybe the garage will remember the car, but like you say, if they posted the note in the 'advisory' section it doesn't warrant too much worry. Just trying to get my head around these cars if anything. Thanks for all the info people, Danny.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V70ETS View Post
    I think I may have the same problem as I have oil on the back lower section of the engine, bit new to the turbo scene can anyone post a picture of where the turbo return pipe/seal/gasket is please.
    That would be handy....

in dilema near ilford
    Thanks
    That would be handy....
    this was mine before i fixed it, the fifth picture shows the turbo oil return pipe from underneath car

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...hlight=leaking

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5seaterT5x2 For This Useful Post:

850t5 (Thursday 8th July 2010),The Flying Moose (Saturday 10th July 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    After reading a lot about pcv/pct failure I did a quick test and BINGO. White smoke coming out of my dipstick. Now I'm stuck as I've no idea about removing the pct. Anyone know of a pictorial/guide??? I've searched and searched but all I find is ppl asking the same question. Also someone said white smoke could mean the head gasket?

Is this what I'm looking for?

Last edited by 850t5; Monday 12th July 2010 at 20:23.

in dilema near ilford
    Thanks
    After reading a lot about pcv/pct failure I did a quick test and BINGO. White smoke coming out of my dipstick. Now I'm stuck as I've no idea about removing the pct. Anyone know of a pictorial/guide??? I've searched and searched but all I find is ppl asking the same question. Also someone said white smoke could mean the head gasket?

Is this what I'm looking for?

pcv is mainly round front of engine under inlet manifold, has 2 pipes which run round right side of engine (as you are looking at it from in front of rad) they connect to the main air inlet pipe just in front of turbo, not as terrifying as it might sound

just found this

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=46946
    Last edited by 5seaterT5x2; Monday 12th July 2010 at 20:40.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to 5seaterT5x2 For This Useful Post:

850t5 (Monday 12th July 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cheers mate. You're a handy bloke to have around

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I've just spent the best part of the day in a garage. Oil return pipe checked and fine. After all that key tapping it turns out the leak is not coming from the turbo at all! The only sign of a leak is coming from the cam shaft cover gasket. The garage said its possible that the oil is dripping down to the plugs and filling up then blowing around the back of the engine. Has anyone had the same problem or any takes on this? Any input greatly received...

Danny.

in dilema near ilford
    Thanks
    I've just spent the best part of the day in a garage. Oil return pipe checked and fine. After all that key tapping it turns out the leak is not coming from the turbo at all! The only sign of a leak is coming from the cam shaft cover gasket. The garage said its possible that the oil is dripping down to the plugs and filling up then blowing around the back of the engine. Has anyone had the same problem or any takes on this? Any input greatly received...

Danny.

doubt very much it's the cam cover, honestly as i found from personel experience i'd bet a £1 it's one or both of either the oil filler cap seal has gone hard (feel it see if it seems like it's hard (ooeer) n brittle and letting it by cheap fix and 2 mins to do. also the oil return pipe again couple quid and 10/15 mins to sort, and if it aint i'll just get my coat ;-) according to my local steeler they change the oil filler seal every service as a matter of course bout £2 a seal well worth it
    Last edited by 5seaterT5x2; Tuesday 13th July 2010 at 16:05.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The fellow at the garage said the oil return pipe was fine and that the oil was coming down the engine from above the turbo but he could'nt be sure where the actual leak was. Maybe the cam cover gasket just aided in confusing the poor bloke lol Does that sound like the oil filler seal? As you can tell from my posts, I'm not due for a mechanic of the year award yet

Thread Information