Join Today

Thread: Suspension

This user has no status

Thanks

Suspension

Need some help need a new top monut for the front drivers suspension leg need to identify what type of suspension I have gas/ oil or air can somebody please tell me the signs of checking what type I have it's a s60 2.0 turbo
    thanks guys

This user has no status
    Thanks
    This is most likely to be the offending component

It doesn't matter whether you have gas shock absorbers or not, this is the top spring mount which sits under the top bearing:

This is NOT noted for failing

Buy your top spring mount in Febi or Lemforder or Meyle if you can. Don't waste money on cheap stuff, if you can compress the rubber at all then it isn't going to last.

"Sgt. Butterman? Little hand says it's time to rock'n'roll!"
    "Bring the noise!"

This user has no status

Thanks

Suspension

Thanks for that so the top part is all I need

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yes. I'd be surprised if the bearing has failed.

I supplied/fitted three sets of shocks last year, all for V70s, including my own.

N-n-n-n-none of them required new bearings, all needed new top spring mounts.

"Bring the noise!"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to v70torslanda For This Useful Post:

brummie1972 (Sunday 13th June 2010)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks again just hope that's defo what it is a mechanic friend said the knocking can only be that he has had it up on the ramp checking lower link arm drive shaft suspension ?????

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brummie1972 View Post
    Thanks again just hope that's defo what it is a mechanic friend said the knocking can only be that he has had it up on the ramp checking lower link arm drive shaft suspension ?????
    If you ask me, it is worth checking the drop links - these fail all the time especially if they are cheapo ones. Not a difficult job to fix. With your top mount grip hold of the top of the shock under the bonnet and if you can rotate it, the mount is shagged. If you rock the car up and down on each side at a time, see if one has greater travel than the other as viewed from under the bonnet. Again indicative that a top rubber is tired out.

Drop links just need a good old pull around to see if they are shot - although if it has not been done for a couple of years, it will almost certainly need doing.
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Flatout Phil For This Useful Post:

brummie1972 (Monday 14th June 2010)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply so it sounds like the mount seat/rubber has gone like meantioned in one of the other replies

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Don't always assume.

My top mount bearing was knackered on the drivers side. Which cost nearly £90 to get a new one of them. I may look to replace the other just in case it's an issue on how the car's been used.

I'm often worried at the type of components that fail on my car. Never the obvious ones. And never cheap ones either!

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

This user has no status

Thanks
    i would like to say thanks for all the coments on this post the offending part has now been replace and it is now driving like a dream with no knocks
    thanks again guys

This user has no status

Thanks
    Was this knock like a 'clicky' sound? My 05 S50 D5 is doing from the drivers side, ALL the time!

This user has no status

Thanks
    This sounds like the problem i am having with my v70 t5. Any info on best place to purchase said part?

Thanks
    H

This user has no status
    Thanks
    ECP may now have a Cambridge outlet - I stopped working for them 6 months ago - but like I said before, provided you can get them to supply a Febi or Lemforder or Meyle part then the quality is OE.

May I respectfully suggest that you find what is knocking before going shopping for bitz?

luv'n'stuff

John

"Bring the noise!"

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by v70torslanda View Post
    ECP may now have a Cambridge outlet - I stopped working for them 6 months ago - but like I said before, provided you can get them to supply a Febi or Lemforder or Meyle part then the quality is OE.

May I respectfully suggest that you find what is knocking before going shopping for bitz?

luv'n'stuff

John

Of course you may!
    Ive been having a poke around thismorning and found that if i jack the passenger side up and leave the wheel on. When i tap the wheel it makes almost an identical knocking noise as to when im driving the car...With the bonnet up the sound sounds like its coming from right at the top of the spring.

For the sake of £25 or whatever it was for a new top mount i am tempted to replace it just for piece of mind!

Harvey

Thread Information