Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Bloody drive shaft bolts!!!!! Arrrgghhhhhhhh

Well, I started a thread about knocking from the front end, and thought it may be the lower engine mount. It turned out to be the drive shaft bolts had come loose. So, I tightened them up, and low and behold and was well, for about 3 miles, when i got a slight knock again. SO! i went to Volvo this morning, bought a new one for the drivers side (as they only had one in ) and fitted it. Drove another 10 miles, and again, i started with the knocking!!!! Arrrgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

So tonight, when i got home, Ive took them back out, loctited them and now Ive put some clear mastic on the ends of the bolts and tightened the HELL out of them, and will leave them to set overnight. If they loosen after that, gawd knows what im going to do!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone else had the little sods loosing????
    Thankyou, Goodnight....much love

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'm getting the same knocking & I had a look at them today with my extending jack handle & a 14mm socket.

No joy, they were tight. Very tight. I'm confused now! I'm going to start blaming the clutch. It's about the only major part I can think of that could make that kind of noise.

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Driveshaft nuts have to be tightened to 35Nm, then a further 90 degrees. I usually use a 6 foot scaffold bar to tighten mine up.

(compare that to what I have to tighten my driveshaft nuts to (my car is an 850 so has a nut instead of a bolt so has a higher tightening torque); 120Nm + 60 degrees, yours seems a lot lower)
    Last edited by Dangerous Dave; Monday 14th June 2010 at 11:51. Reason: didn't explain that mine was a nut and not a bolt
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status

Thanks
    the XC90 bolts are used as a fix, do a search

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    Whats the difference between the XC90 bolts and the standard? Im sure its just a rubber part! ive bonded mine now, so we'll see

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Update: This is DOING my head in. Tightened the new bolt to the 35nm's as suggested and also siliconed the head of the bolt to the hub to stop it unscrewing. I drove to Blackpool today, with not a peep out of it, and as i got there, there was a slight knock, so its back

I think that i should be doing more than the 35nm's of presure stated, and i should just keep going until i cant tighten anymore!

Is there a chance of snapping the bolt or stripping it if i go mad????

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hmm i have knocking from front left recently, could be this. Got to check it out. Cheers Guys
    Bubba

New Identity
    Thanks
    As cookie says, the XC90 bolts seem to be a fix (or better alternative) as you say they have a rubber flange to somehow lessen vibration I guess. And the XC90 bolts are tightened to 35Nm then 120 degrees.

The only other alternative would be to fit an older driveshaft which had the large nut (old school LOL) instead of a bolt, but obviously there might be design differences between the old and new shafts. I guess the best way to tell is get an older driveshaft and compare them side by side. But thats an extreme alternative.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    I've had XC90 bolts in for a couple of years now after having bad axle ping. No issues since doing this. they are stretch bolts so you run the risk of breaking them is you keep tightening them up- that would be a bigger head **** than shelling out the £14 (daylight robbery) for the XC90 bolts!!

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thebadger View Post
    I'm getting the same knocking & I had a look at them today with my extending jack handle & a 14mm socket.

No joy, they were tight. Very tight. I'm confused now! I'm going to start blaming the clutch. It's about the only major part I can think of that could make that kind of noise.
    CV joint will also give you that noise. I know, cos i had mine changed.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If Euro Car Parts have GKN CV boot kits in stock they will come with the fitting hardware including bolts.

I'm willing to bet that they don't charge 14 quid each for the kit! Nevewr mind just the bolt.

"Sgt. Butterman? Little hand says it's time to rock'n'roll!"
    "Bring the noise!"

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Update Part II : Well, ive not touched the bolts since the trip to Blackpool, and the noise has gone again Im going to leave it now and see how things go. IF it starts AGAIN, Im gonna go for the £14.00 XC90 bolts (robbing gets!)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Well, I was about to go to the Northwest meet today, and i thought id tighten my stupid driveshaft bolt. I read somewhere that it needs to be more than the 35nm's quoted, so i tightened it up a little more then.............SNAP!

Now, how the f**k do i get the half a bolt out?????

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Liddo View Post
    Well, I was about to go to the Northwest meet today, and i thought id tighten my stupid driveshaft bolt. I read somewhere that it needs to be more than the 35nm's quoted, so i tightened it up a little more then.............SNAP!

Screw extractor, some VERY SHARP drill bits, lots of oil, very slow drill, loads of patience.

If it all goes tits up then send me a PM with your reg and mobile number and I'll see about getting you a new CV joint.

"Sgt. Butterman? Little hand says it's time to rock'n'roll!"
    "Bring the noise!"

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by v70torslanda View Post
    Screw extractor, some VERY SHARP drill bits, lots of oil, very slow drill, loads of patience.

If it all goes tits up then send me a PM with your reg and mobile number and I'll see about getting you a new CV joint.
    Its snapped WELL inside the CV shaft

Are the CV joints easy to replace??? Im might just go to Kwik Fit or somewhere. They've just quoted me £166 fitted

Cheers anyway mate

New Identity
    Thanks
    I snapped a bolt in the cylinder head once. I used a socket that just fitted inside the threads to undo the bolt by somehow catching the sheered metal on the hex of the socket.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

Liddo (Sunday 13th June 2010)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbrick View Post
    I've had XC90 bolts in for a couple of years now after having bad axle ping. No issues since doing this. they are stretch bolts so you run the risk of breaking them is you keep tightening them up- that would be a bigger head **** than shelling out the £14 (daylight robbery) for the XC90 bolts!!

drill carefully with a small drill bit and gradually get bigger (centre punch first) and the screw extractor is possible as if well inside you will struggle to weld onto it.

It was unfortunately inevitable

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    OMFG!!!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bomb192uk View Post
    I snapped a bolt in the cylinder head once.

Im not suprised!!! I tried your trick of 120mn's on the driveshaft bolt, that's why mine snapped at about 90nm's, and it was a brand new bolt, so gawd knows how you got yours to 120 Are yours specially toughened ones?????
    Last edited by Liddo; Monday 14th June 2010 at 11:47.

New Identity
    Thanks
    Im not suprised!!! I tried your trick of 120mn's on the driveshaft bolt, that's why mine snapped at about 90nm's, and it was a brand new bolt, so gawd knows how you got yours to 120 Are yours specially tuffened ones?????
    Ah, sorry matey. Mine is an 850 and has a huge nut instead of the bolt used in later models (hence the lower torque due to it being a bolt), I should have made that clearer. My apologies.

Thread Information