Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Looking for a V70: couple of questions?

I apologise if these are really obvious questions, but please be gentle with me, I'm new to more recent Volvos.....

Been doing some "homework" before I start looking at s/h V70's. The best option for me is probably a D5, as I want a bit of power and I also do a fair mileage. I've had a look through some threads on here and picked up some useful information: many thanks.

So: V70's 2000-2007 are based on the S80 platform, right? I read that there's been some recalls on these models, how will I know if a car has had them done? Something in the service book?

I've also read about front suspension problems with these cars – how would they shown themselves? Anything specific I should be looking/listening for on a test drive?

Any other tips welcome too. Many thanks.
    Past: 240DL; 740GL; V*ctra;
    Current: empty garage
    Seeking: V70

This user has no status
    Thanks
    My simple advice, for what it's worth:-

Early D5s have a known possible injector problem - AVOID
    I've noticed several early D5 flywheel/ ring gear problems reported recently - CAUTION
    Early V70s have a known Magneti Marelli ETM problem - AVOID
    Although equipped with the DPF, I still think the 2005 face-lift D5 is the better option if you can afford it.
    Front suspension wear is common and should be clearly audible as knocks, clonks and twangs on a test drive - usually relatively inexpesive to fix if you (or your mechanic) can identify the source.

Common consensus that the V70 shares much with the S60, although the Haynes shares much with the S80 – whatever, it’s the second generation Volvo V/S series and runs with ME7 fly by wire.
    Last edited by princepugh; Friday 11th June 2010 at 16:47.
    Princepugh

V70 T5 P2

3. The Following User Says Thank You to princepugh For This Useful Post:

Buzzard (Sunday 13th June 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Many thanks for that information, princepugh, Much appreciated.

So from 2005 on we're getting into DPF territory.... Read & heard plenty about these in the context of another make: a colleague has a Jag S-Type diesel, and apparently it's a p.i.t.a. on his car...... Any major issues with DPFs on Volvos? (hope I'm not opening a can of worms, asking that..... )
    Past: 240DL; 740GL; V*ctra;
    Current: empty garage
    Seeking: V70

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I don't own a D5 so can't comment from personal experience, however, I believe the Volvo DPF does not need the expensive additives which some systems need but does require a certain type of driving condition to allow for the burn-off cycle. If you don't do journeys which allow for those conditions (i.e. you drive short distances with low engine load) then you might wish to re-consider?

I'm sure there are D5 owners on here who can comment from experience?
    Last edited by princepugh; Sunday 13th June 2010 at 21:03.
    Princepugh

V70 T5 P2

Thread Information