Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Question Help needed please – turbo heatshield removal

Hiya folks – was looking to take the turbo heatshield off today but:-

1) The back bolt on the heatshield (the one next to the firewall) is pretty much seized and won’t budge despite being soaked in penetrant – any tips on how I can get it off? Looks like someone has had a go at it before as the head is starting to round;

2) Should the actuator rod be kinked? Looks like it might be like that by design to avoid the charge pipe but in reality it’s miles away from it.

Grateful of any sensible advice

TIA
    Last edited by princepugh; Tuesday 25th May 2010 at 10:20. Reason: Just noticed I said I'm taking the turbo off, I'm not, just the heatshield! :-)
    Princepugh

V70 T5 P2

This user has no status
    Thanks
    No responses?

Looks like I'll be giving this a go then:- https://supreme1.sslpowered.com/cgi-...txt&item=00081
    Princepugh

V70 T5 P2

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Give it a bit of time mate...someone will offer some advice.

The heatshield is a bit of git to get off- one of the bolts on mine (on my old V70) was seized, but eventually freed up; luckily the head wasn't rounded.

Get as much leverage as you can is the only advice I can give you. Good luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JelT5 For This Useful Post:

princepugh (Tuesday 25th May 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JelT5 View Post
    Give it a bit of time mate...someone will offer some advice.

The heatshield is a bit of git to get off- one of the bolts on mine (on my old V70) was seized, but eventually freed up; luckily the head wasn't rounded.

Get as much leverage as you can is the only advice I can give you. Good luck!
    Cheers fella - the one at the back is real difficult to get any real leverage on. That tool I mentioned gives me the option to use a socket wrench or spanner so if I can get it hooked into the bolt I'm sure it will move.

I've got the feeling it's holding out for a little blood! lol
    Princepugh

V70 T5 P2

This user has no status
    Thanks
    LOL the blood bit is quite likely- have a ready supply of bandages, plasma etc to hand

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    have you tried to tighten the bolt up to break the seal of it

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    have you tried to tighten the bolt up to break the seal of it
    I did give that a go but it got to the point where I was running the risk of completely rounding it off either way.

I'm going to try the removal tool I mentioned which I'm hoping will hook into the head sufficiently.

Have also read it could be worthwhile running the engine for a short while to put some heat into the assembly but I'm not fancying that much, it's hard enough to access as it is never mind not knowing exactly how hot everything will be!

Will overnight soak it again and try the old 'tapping' technique to assist (a born tapper me!) ...
    Princepugh

V70 T5 P2

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by princepugh View Post
    I did give that a go but it got to the point where I was running the risk of completely rounding it off either way.

I'm going to try the removal tool I mentioned which I'm hoping will hook into the head sufficiently.

Have also read it could be worthwhile running the engine for a short while to put some heat into the assembly but I'm not fancying that much, it's hard enough to access as it is never mind not knowing exactly how hot everything will be!

Will overnight soak it again and try the old 'tapping' technique to assist (a born tapper me!) ...
    Just read your posts mate, great arn't they, seized bolts!! i understand with that one being in an awkward spot!!

As for actuator rod yes it should be bent, its as if they fitted actuator then thought " damm, forgot the connecting rod" so yeah normal

10. The Following User Says Thank You to steveo82 For This Useful Post:

princepugh (Tuesday 1st June 2010)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by princepugh View Post

Just checked my actuator rod - tiss kinked

re bolt - its awfully dark out there under mine - but have you got access to a mig welded if so - crank the amps up an weld a small rod or another nut to the head of the bolt - it should then twist ok - but cant really see outside tonight if theres enough clearance to get a mig torch in there - will check in the morning

12. The Following User Says Thank You to exfuzzyt5 For This Useful Post:

princepugh (Tuesday 1st June 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by exfuzzyt5 View Post
    Just checked my actuator rod - tiss kinked

re bolt - its awfully dark out there under mine - but have you got access to a mig welded if so - crank the amps up an weld a small rod or another nut to the head of the bolt - it should then twist ok - but cant really see outside tonight if theres enough clearance to get a mig torch in there - will check in the morning
    I'll be giving it one more shot this weekend, if I don't have any joy I'll take it to my local garage so they can have a butchers. Problem is it's so close to the firewall you can't get any purchase.

Wish me luck...
    Princepugh

V70 T5 P2

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Removed with a bit of effort from the underside with a double hex spanner..
    Princepugh

V70 T5 P2

Thread Information