Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Suggestions on uprating Modified 850 T-5 brakes

Now I have modified my Auto 850 T-5 to around 285bhp I need to uprate the braking system to make the thing stop, don't get me wrong the car will stop if I drive slowly and give it about a weeks warning [one great use for old people in traffic they never go above 45mph] otherwise the brakes are shocking, I leave my braking late due to my driving style . Currently running Genuine Volvo pads and discs two uses of the brakes at high speed they've faded out along with the discs grooving/wearing out badly but going a very cool blue/black colour ie they're over heating. Discs and pads have been on for the past two months and the front discs are getting close to the wear limit so won't be using genuine items again.

Are the AP/Big Disc conversions worth the £1000-£2000 price tag ? These seem to be a logical step

Needs more boost
    Thanks
    Have you got the 280 or 302mm discs? I noticed an improvment with the 302's.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    there are cheaper alternatives for the AP's(don't get me wrong they're great)but there are options(just as good)

look at

www.europeantuning.nl

gr,walter
    get in,shut-up and hold on.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    There are cheaper alternatives:

Unless you're putting out serious power and planning lots of track days I wouldn't pay out for APs mate...(that's just my opinion though)...you can't go wrong going for the V70 302mm over the standard issue 280mm on the 850.

PFS do two kits: Brake upgrade kits

alternatively, try larkspeed for EBC discs and pads

or Rufe for genuine volvo bits

HTH
    Last edited by JelT5; Friday 4th June 2010 at 04:54.

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JelT5 View Post
    There are cheaper alternatives:

Unless you're putting out serious power and planning lots of track days I wouldn't pay out for APs mate...(that's just my opinion though)...you can't go wrong going for the V70 302mm over the standard issue 280mm on the 850.

PFS do two kits: Brake upgrade kits

alternatively, try larkspeed for EBC discs and pads

or Rufe for genuine volvo bits

HTH
    The V70 upgrade (£170 from Rufe - but you will need Lockheed braided pipes for best effect - about £40) is the set-up I have and it works very well indeed - and as the AP set-up is approximately 10 times the price (£1750 IIRC), a no-brainer unless you are building a serious track car or drive 100 miles to work (very quickly) across the wiggliest up and down roads of north west Scotland every day. One word of caution, you cannot use 16" Columba on this brake set-up. You would have to swap for 16" Perfo off the V70 T5 or just about any other Volvo alloy as the internal radius is just a little less than you need. The job of fitting is a doddle if you can wield a spanner and understand brake bleeding, can change a set of pads, have a torque wrench, a socket set, and a tube of Loctite.
    IMHO.
    From what I read, uprated 280mm discs and pads are not that great by comparison, you can't beat cubes, or in this case square inches of disc area.
    Last edited by Flatout Phil; Friday 4th June 2010 at 08:35.
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    Don't underestimate what new brake fluid can do for you. I ran a distinctly average second hand AP kit on my 855R for a year, it was only when the fluid was changed to new AP 5.1 that I realised what I had been missing. No need to go 5.1 on a normal system, try ATE Superblue or R600+.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i've just swapped from std 280mm to genuine volvo 302mm discs, std volvo pads, new hoses(no need for braided hoses on this setup IMHO) and new fluid. braking is definitely better but bear in mind most people who say that 302's are a vast improvement have been running with knackered/worn out 280mm setups with old fluid and hoses and anything even marginally better than that feels disproportionally better.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nick View Post
    i've just swapped from std 280mm to genuine volvo 302mm discs, std volvo pads, new hoses(no need for braided hoses on this setup IMHO) and new fluid. braking is definitely better but bear in mind most people who say that 302's are a vast improvement have been running with knackered/worn out 280mm setups with old fluid and hoses and anything even marginally better than that feels disproportionally better.

Totally agree. Bit like buying a new car and discover how good the brakes are.

Renew it all and you have a good pedal..... you could also change your driving style as well. Don't drive a white van perchance ?

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    Being lucky enough to have the R and the T5 to run (at times) side by side, I have to say that braided hoses make the brake pedal in the R feel much more progressive than the T5 (both ran 280mm for a while) - for what that is worth - and braided hoses are not much more than standard Volvo ones. Also agree that regular fluid chaging does have a value.
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

If in doubt thrash it and see
    what happens
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatout Phil View Post
    The V70 upgrade (£170 from Rufe - but you will need Lockheed braided pipes for best effect - about £40) is the set-up I have and it works very well indeed - .............. One word of caution, you cannot use 16" Columba on this brake set-up. You would have to swap for 16" Perfo off the V70 T5 or just about any other Volvo alloy as the internal radius is just a little less than you need. The job of fitting is a doddle ............
    Agreed on a above points. I did this - calipers are the same you need only discs and caliper brackets (Volvo). You can use Brembo discs ( I did ) or V70 standard ones. I used DS2000 pads - nice bite - almost too sharp when cold at slow speed but I have never managed to ccok them!! Only drawback is a bit of squeal and a bit of extra dust.
    Also put on the braided hoses - you need something longer than standard due to extra disc radius.

Dont wory about the rears - just the uual - make sure they are not sticking or cooked, and make sure the discs are good. (no grooves rust etc.)
    Worth getting ALL old fluid out of teh system too if you have overheated them.

As it happens I have a spare set of Perfo alloys around if you need a set. PM me if interested - I was going to Ebay them later this month when I get time.

PM if you want more details abou the conversion but its an easy Hayes manual job. No sweat.
    Warwick

This user has no status
    Thanks
    would 295mm disks fit on the rear off a manual saloon and what are the standard size disks on the rear

Thread Information