Join Today

Thread: Which flywheel?

This user has no status

Thanks

Which flywheel?

Hi,
    On my S70 t5 auto 1997, I would like to put in a manual box.
    If I use a '97 box it is external slave and solid flywheel ,'98 on boxes have the internal slave and dule mass flywheel .
    If I can not find a early box ,can I use a solid flywheel with a internal slave type box?
    Also is it posible to have a manual tune put on my spair ECU (m4.4)
    so that no fault codes are posted for the missing TCU?
    Lastley will the gear box and drive shafts only, out of a '96 or '97 850 t5 fit in ok? as I stand a beter chance of finding one.

Thanks Rogerb

This user has no status

Thanks
    Be careful the early 98 boxes were same as 97.
    If you can't find an early box I have one that's done 101k that I took from my previous T5 4 years ago. I have been keeping it as a spare but don't think I will be needing it so will sell it.
    S70CD t5 manual w/walnut incl. steering wheel, Rica 310 ecu, K&N, switched cold spray to i.c, d/pt plugs, 302mm f/disc, s/s hoses, f/strut brace, polybushed engine mount & control arm bushes,Koni FSDs with 30mm lowered eibach springs. R front bumper, boost gauge on pillar, 17in comets.w/pilot sport 215/45/, aerial down switch, double fog intens.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    if i was you try and get an m59 box with the shafts out of an 850r/v70r 2wd this is a better option.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Better option for the lsd do you mean? if so will depend how many miles the box has done as the lsd was never great when new and got worse with age.
    S70CD t5 manual w/walnut incl. steering wheel, Rica 310 ecu, K&N, switched cold spray to i.c, d/pt plugs, 302mm f/disc, s/s hoses, f/strut brace, polybushed engine mount & control arm bushes,Koni FSDs with 30mm lowered eibach springs. R front bumper, boost gauge on pillar, 17in comets.w/pilot sport 215/45/, aerial down switch, double fog intens.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    true but still better than standard t5 box

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    I paid £200 for a m59 box and shafts when i did my auto to manual conversion, it had 140,000 on it and i love it and had no problems, worth the gamble if you can find one at a similar price.

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for the replys

I will most likley get a m56 and fit a lsd to it , but a m59
    at the right price ,would be a lot cheper for the time beeing.

Any hints about the ECU , can an auto ECU be set as a manual ECU?

Regards Rogerb

This user has no status

Thanks
    NO an auto ECU is different to a manual ECU, it's said that a manual can use an auto ECU but I've seen that increase the revs when changing gear, you are best staying with the correct ECU, I have a set of ECU serial numbers somewhere that I can dig out when your ready.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SAMXPJ For This Useful Post:

Rogerb (Saturday 3rd July 2010)

Thread Information