Join Today
    eVolvolution
    Thanks

Cool Volvo C70 ME7 idle problem - SOLVED|!!!

Hey Folks

Last year I posted this thread up when I noticed some strange idling on my Volvo C70 (2.5 ME7 with manual box) - http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21018

A full year has passed and for all that time, my C70 has continued to do the strange idle dipping thing. It's never caused me any concern until a few days ago... I was approaching a roundabout and I had to give-way to a car that was already traversing said roundabout.

As I dipped my clutch pedal and came to a stop, the steering suddenly became very heavy. I looked at my dash and all the lights were on - the engine had cut out whilst I was coming to a halt.

She started straight away and I drove on. A few minutes later, the exact same thing happened - the revs dropped to 200 RPM when I dipped the clutch pedal and the engine cut out... Again she started up straight away and idled perfectly at 900 RPM.

I checked a couple of websites and forums and then checked my Engine Crank Sensor. It had a little bit of dried in oil on it - like a little smear of tar. I used a cotton bud to clean it and about 20 seconds later, it was gleaming. I put the sensor back onto the engine and for the last 7 days now, my C70 hasn't once dipped below 900 RPM.

It's unbelievable that such a small thing could cause such a driving irritation for over a year.

Anyway, if you're having the same problems and want to give this a try to see if it'll cure your idle problems, here's how:

The Engine Crank Sensor is circled in yellow in the above photo - you can see that it's just the one little bolt that holds the black plastic sensor plug in position... Simply remove the bolt and then gently lift the sensor plug out. Use a cotton bud or soft cloth to wipe it clean and then put it back into the engine and replace the bolt.

As I said above, for the last 7 days now, my C70 hasn't once dipped below 900 RPM. I've also just took her for the dreaded MOT today and she passed first time with no problems or advisories whatsoever.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dacvolvo For This Useful Post:

Flatout Phil (Saturday 22nd May 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 727 Posts
    Nice one mate, but where is the turbo lol.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKESC70T5 View Post
    Nice one mate, but where is the turbo lol.
    aye that's what i thought, dac some on now,you had a t5 before, hope this aint a NA
    Bubba

eVolvolution
    Thanks
    Ha ha ha - Yup. This is just a standard 2.5 C70. My C70 T5 310Bhp is now in a scrappy and I bought this silver C70 about 16 months ago when I was loosing my job. I only started working again a couple of weeks ago. As soon as I'm up-to-date with the bills, I'll be looking at T5's again

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Arite there wee man - good to see you are still on the road. Be good to see you in a T5 as soon as you are back in a suitable financial position! (not lying down)
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status

Thanks
    Not being picky,but is that not the cam senor?

Thread Information