Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Air cleaner-Intake

Dear all,

I have to admit this is an area that I have little knowledge of before I start. The question is this. If I want to improve the airflow over the standard T5 aircleaner box which is the best way to go. I am dubious of these cone filter jobs stuck in the engine bay as surely they are pulling warm air into the engine. Am I correct in understanding that the cooler/denser the air the better for performance? Any advice or suggestions appreciated.

My car is a S60 T5 2001 with MTE remap.

Regards

Chris

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    you are correct sir, the colder the air the better. As for improving a P2 intake tbh i've never really looked under the bonnet (D5 so why bother lol) but i wouldn't be put of so easily by cone filters. Yes on paper they will suck in warm air but once on the move its soon replaced by the cold moving air, i've lost count of the different systems i've had on the 850 T-5 & open cone has proved to be the fastest on the 1/4mile

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The standard design is often the best.. Sealed panel filter drawing from behind the grill. Perfect.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    At this point I agree. Although I see most people squeezing more performance seem to bin the standard set up?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Maybe for sound?

Im relatively new to T5s, but Im just going by experience of my previous cars too. Im not one for changing the induction that Volvo designed. It might be flawed, it might not, I dont know.

Theres plenty of theory that can be thrown either or, just take everything with a pinch of salt. There plenty of B/S marketing too!

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Personally, i think that the normal airbox with a panel filter is fine for lighlty modded cars, and you only really need to change it when you are getting into serious power. I did have an enclosed induction kit on my t4, but mainly for the noise!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chris21340 View Post
    At this point I agree. Although I see most people squeezing more performance seem to bin the standard set up?
    the standard intake pipe can easily be improved, as i say i've not looked at the P2 system but on 850's the bend before the turbo is quite bad, & the corrugated section does nothing to help the flow because of the added turbulence. Fitting a good design inline canistor filter can help reduce bends & reduce the times the air has to change direction if you don't want to go with a cone

This user has no status
    Thanks

Smile

Thanks, looking for some ideas. Just spent a small mortgage doing the suspension, brake calipers and wheels. Air intake is next on my list. Then a 3 inch system with free flow cat. Finally MTE stage II remap from Don.

Chris

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chris21340 View Post
    Thanks, looking for some ideas. Just spent a small mortgage doing the suspension, brake calipers and wheels. Air intake is next on my list. Then a 3 inch system with free flow cat. Finally MTE stage II remap from Don.

Chris
    Sounds good. Any pics of your car?

This user has no status
    Thanks

Smile

Will post some up shortly. Currently awaiting wheels! Which I hope will arrive tomorrow.
    So far;
    MTE remap.
    IPD updated roll bars front and rear.
    poly bushed front wish bones.
    IPD rear drop links.
    IPD turbo control valve.
    19 inch 235 x 35 wheels with Continental Sport Contact 5's.
    Ultra Racing engine strut brace.
    Ultra racing braces front lower and rear upper and lower.
    R front calipers.
    IMIV iPod adapter.

Refitting my injectors today after Jim cleaned and checked them over.

Regards

chris.

This user has no status

Thanks
    A 3" tip would be a good way to go if you wanted more air flow i made mine my self made a massive diffrance the the air flow.

looks like this

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    needs adequate sheilding to be effective.

I personally don't think the standard airbox is restrictive. Used in conjuction with a free flow panel filter (take your pick from ITG, K&N, PiperX).

I put the ITG short ram air in and it made no difference to the inlet manifold temp. I just like the noise.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscurzon View Post
    A 3" tip would be a good way to go if you wanted more air flow i made mine my self made a massive diffrance the the air flow.
    Looks ace! I'd fancy making that as a project. Could you be so kind as to give me the diameters of the hose on each end?

Also, what did you do with the IAT sensor? I assume that's the big hole in the pipe. Did you have trouble getting the smaller hose fittings? (where did you source them & how did they describe them, they always pick an obscure description!)

Cheers for any info you can part with!

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thebadger View Post
    Looks ace! I'd fancy making that as a project. Could you be so kind as to give me the diameters of the hose on each end?

Also, what did you do with the IAT sensor? I assume that's the big hole in the pipe. Did you have trouble getting the smaller hose fittings? (where did you source them & how did they describe them, they always pick an obscure description!)

Cheers for any info you can part with!

I cant remember off top of my head as iv sold the tip and car now but ill see if i can find the info or receipt for you.

the big hole is for sensor i just drilled the hole in pipe then used dermal to make it wider till i could fit a grommet in there and just silicone it in make sure it was tight in.

The take of for the 2 hoses i got from merlin these are them

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/SA...661/index.html

I was easy to do i did it all in couple of hours making it up and fitting it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Chriscurzon For This Useful Post:

thebadger (Wednesday 19th May 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cheers dude, that's pretty much the stuff I'm needing.

I have a spare MAF somewhere, so I should be able to guage one end of the hose!

I'll need to look into what other wonders I could include! I wonder if you could fit a duck call....

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

This user has no status
    Thanks

Question

Some Pics for Liam. Not sure about the wheels but they are at least well clear of the calipers and I dont need spacers any more. Have I just inadvertantly 'pimped' my ride?

Pic 1 is me having the injectors off for cleaning.
    Pic 2 just shows the Ultra Racing bars fitted beneath.
    Pic 3 'Have I just pimped my car???'
    Pic 4 R calipers and discs also shows my Eibach springs and Bilstien B8 shockers.
    Pic 5 Rear IPD uprated roll bar.
    Pic 6 My car holding the driveway up.
    Pic 7 Still really not sure about these wheels?
    Last edited by chris21340; Wednesday 19th May 2010 at 21:06. Reason: Picture narration!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to chris21340 For This Useful Post:

LiamT4 (Wednesday 19th May 2010)

This user has no status

Thanks
    what i always wanted to know is how a few degrees increase going through the filter (induction kit) effects the fact the turbo temperature effect. as in the temp is going to be drastically increased when it comes out the turbo so is an open filter really going to loose performance? just a question

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike 850 View Post
    what i always wanted to know is how a few degrees increase going through the filter (induction kit) effects the fact the turbo temperature effect. as in the temp is going to be drastically increased when it comes out the turbo so is an open filter really going to loose performance? just a question
    nope, as i say it certainly didn't affect my 1/4mile times & that was after being sat in the fire-up lane so the engine bay would of collected more heat. Once on the move the heat is soon dispelled & with a well placed cone enabled to suck in fresh colder air again. Even the standard airbox has the inlet next to the radiator which is going to give off alot of heat when sat at lights etc so no difference

i've fitted 2 temperature displays on BT so i can measure air temperatures, one is at the filter the other at the throttle body. Be interesting to see how much hotter the air is thats passed thru the turbo compared to the original air coming into the filter

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike 850 View Post
    Its more to do with the fact that cold air is denser than hot air (more o2), so you want the coldest air possible coming into the airfilter. Thats why on a cold day, cars (especially turbos)tend to feel a bit quicker than on a hot day. But, from my experience, i'v never actually noticed a difference between an open filter and an inclosed 1 and as pedro has said, once on the move its getting in cooler air anyway.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    ive just put a piper cross panel filter in and left it at that am thinking of getting handy with the drill so it will give it the throaty sound and running a cold air feed pipe from the front of the car to were the holes are so i still get cold air but don't no if this will effect performance in anyway
    Cars
    2001 C70 2.0lpt Silver 163bhp

2005 S60 D5 SE Black 163bhp - Dyno'd 191.8Bhp 290 FTH

Thread Information