Join Today
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My new baby!!

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    That Castle looks really cool - it's fascinating seeing military history - you been around the Tank Museum in France? Went around it as a kid was brilliant from memory though.

Your 855 is looking good That shade of green really suits it - what mods are you getting first? It'll make a big difference with the Strut Brace and Poly bush.

Braided brake lines are also good for driving 'feel' if you've not considered those yet (and relatively cheap.)

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
    That Castle looks really cool - it's fascinating seeing military history - you been around the Tank Museum in France? Went around it as a kid was brilliant from memory though.

Your 855 is looking good That shade of green really suits it - what mods are you getting first? It'll make a big difference with the Strut Brace and Poly bush.

Braided brake lines are also good for driving 'feel' if you've not considered those yet (and relatively cheap.)

Cheers mate.

Not seen the tank museum, there are 5 of these forts surrounding Metz- massive defences; Maginot line not far away etc. Really interesting stuff. Lots of WW1 battlesites close by: Verdun, Les Eparges etc.

Yep, doing all those mods and plenty more this summer

This user has no status
    Thanks
    car looks great mate well done,,,

4. The Following User Says Thank You to martybelfastt5 For This Useful Post:

JelT5 (Sunday 2nd May 2010)

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JelT5 View Post
    So am I Phil! I'm hoping to get back over in June to get the wheels refurbed and the front bumper sorted, so hopefully see you then for a bit longer mate?
    It's a brilliant drive and Clarkson was right...thuggishness is in abundance
    T'would be good.
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hello, It's nice to see it go to an enthusiasts home! love the pictures!

(I am the guy with the Blue Integra that I moved so you could park across the driveway)

Keep these guys updated with all the developments so I can have a peek too
    That Volvo is a beast I have to admit! was sad to see it go.

Enjoy and all the best,
    Ian.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PORTHOS View Post
    Hello, It's nice to see it go to an enthusiasts home! love the pictures!

(I am the guy with the Blue Integra that I moved so you could park across the driveway)

Keep these guys updated with all the developments so I can have a peek too
    That Volvo is a beast I have to admit! was sad to see it go.

Enjoy and all the best,
    Ian.
    Hey Ian!

Thanks mate- it's a great car and will be well looked after
    Chuffed to bits with it!

Jerry

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Nice one Jerry, looks very nice mate.
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

9. The Following User Says Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

JelT5 (Sunday 2nd May 2010)

Old Fart
    Weston on the Mud Somerset or in it if you get the tide wrong.
    Thanks
    I agree totally about the V70 being like a boat on corners, I would rather drive Mrs PAs 850 T5 it's a better car, the steering is more precise, the engine is more responsive, the effect when you floor it is far better than the V70.

The P2 V70 is more of a gentleman's car, a sedate boring old lady that seems to have lost the tightness and fun of the older T5s.

I love the growl of the 850 T5 when you put it in sport and floor it, even if it's only up to the speed limit, it's just more more fun.
    “If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Did you know the EU says that you can't claim that drinking water prevents dehydration. So now you know for sure what many of have known for years that the EU is run by a bunch of nutters.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Porcine_Aviator For This Useful Post:

JelT5 (Sunday 2nd May 2010),p fandango (Monday 3rd May 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Mods have been started now...

Strut-brace fitted; HLM 304 on the way (here tmrw hopefully) and...I fitted a Forge BOV (courtesy of mattp- thanks mate) for a bit of psssssch- quite subtle compared to some BOVs that one has heard.

That b@stard recirc valve has cost me some knuckle skin and blood though; talk about easy access NOT!!! Rest of it was dead simple. You've definitely got to have a 10mm ratchet spanner available, which I didn't: @rse!

Pedro, I still might buy an AMG just to annoy you mate
    Last edited by JelT5; Thursday 20th May 2010 at 18:35.

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JelT5 View Post
    Pedro, I still might buy an AMG just to annoy you mate
    it won't annoy me mate, you'd have to drive it (i'd be just here taking the p**s lol)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    it won't annoy me mate, you'd have to drive it (i'd be just here taking the p**s lol)
    pmsl!!!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JelT5 For This Useful Post:

p fandango (Thursday 20th May 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    very nice jerry,and another one who goes back in time and absolutely loves it.

I was told the 850's were a far better drivers car than the newer models,seems they were right(well i have known that allready,lol)

walter
    get in,shut-up and hold on.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to walter leever For This Useful Post:

JelT5 (Monday 18th July 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by walter leever View Post
    very nice jerry,and another one who goes back in time and absolutely loves it.

I was told the 850's were a far better drivers car than the newer models,seems they were right(well i have known that allready,lol)

walter
    Thanks Walter

Yes, it's definitely a better drive than my V70 ever was...perhaps we should try and have a mini- meet in Belgium sometime? Find a halfway point between Metz and where you are...somewhere near Bastogne?
    Last edited by JelT5; Thursday 20th May 2010 at 20:15.

This user has no status
    Thanks

Jumping out of 2nd gear

WTF do I manage to do to transmissions???!! LOL

Had the car jump out of 2nd on three occasions now for no apparent reason...tell me it's not terminal pleeeeeease!

Any ideas chaps?

This user has no status
    Thanks

The Shed lives!

Came back to UK recently to get everything sorted out on The Olive Shed...the smoking issue- valve stem seals, dodgy clutch and gearbox, front bumper (take note Pedro lol) and a few other bits and pieces.

Thanks are due to Justin (t5lover), Bradley (nuttyt5), Niles, Scott, ChrisS70T5, Gaz, Pedro (not sure what for, but thought I would anyway), Jamest5r, Smithy and AlanM.

I set out at 2.30am to get the 8am ferry from Dunkirk to Dover; it was pi$$ing down and really foul driving conditions. The first incident happened on the motorway between Luxembourg and Brussels at about 4am; a truck had shredded a tyre and it had been left in the middle of the carraigeway, by the time it appeared out of the gloom I'd no way of avoiding it...stopped immediately and checked the front end, didn't appear to be any damage, no warning lights, so carried on. Got past Brussels and had approx 60 miles to go to the ferry, then the coolant warning came on. The tyre incident had split the rad!
    Topped up the coolant and made it to the ferry, then across to Dover where I was met by t5lover and Niles and drove the car to Niles' unit.

Everything was stripped out, ready for the gearbox and clutch change. Chris had dropped the box (donated by Gaz) off to Justin on his way to the Ring and Jamest5r had met up with Justin to give him the refurbed head (kindly donated by AlanM) and originally collected by Smithy!

That night I heard that we had to move the car from Niles' unit, due to complaints from his neighbours about noise and the number of people gathered there.
    So, on Saturday morning, off we went to t5lover's place. The rest of the work would have to be a kerbside repair.
    Being towed with no operational power steering was interesting and using only the handbrake made things even more fun.

Within a few hours the gearbox and clutch had been replaced:
    Removal...

The old release bearing (not too good!):

Engine and box back in:

Having done so well it was decided that the head should come off ready for the refurbed item...

Then the next incident occurred...due to some careless work by a prior owner or mechanic a head bolt snapped whether this was caused by over tightening or doing them up in the wrong sequence we'll never know!
    It was really galling after so much hard work on Saturday.

Left it at that on Saturday.

Engine and box would have to come out and the bottom end swapped over the next day. Thankfully Justin had a spare block in his shed of many parts, although it did have a bent rod for some reason

Sunday, out she came:

Justin's bent rod...oooooer missus!!

The crank and shells were in perfect condition:

The rod and piston were swapped for one of mine in the 'snapped head bolt block' and the rings from Justin's piston put on. Then it was time to lob it back in again!

The head could be sorted now- the valve stem seals were definitely fubar

The whole lot back in and ready for the cams and cover:

Scott turned up with some oil he'd acquired and everything was just about ready to go when we discovered Justin's spare rads were knackered.
    Niles to the rescue- brought along a mint rad and all was ok.

In between all this, Justin had to rush off to hospital twice when first, one of his daughters ended up in hospital and then his son, following accidents on their bikes! All got a bit stressful for him.

The moment of truth came and she fired up and ran beautifully.
    Bradley supplied me with a 960 throttle body, some new rear lenses and the proper front bumper (at last).

That night on the way over to Brad's to pick up a few more bits that I'd bought off him, one of the clips on the oil cooler pipes came off, in the countryside with approx 5 miles to the nearest oil depot (Tesco) and 7 litres of oil on the road and over my nice clean engine bay!
    We made it and the car was ok, just drove it there at about 1500rpm much to the frustration of other road users.

All that was left was a decat, throttle body to go on and a few other minor jobs.

I can only say that Justin and Brad did brilliant work on The Shed for me and are highly recommended for any repairs anyone needs doing.

Justin's love of T5's has filled me with enthusiasm for my car again, I do actually like the old girl now!
    It's taken a year of heartache and way too much money but finally, she goes and goes bloody well too.
    The 960 throttle body and decat work really well with my (ported) 18T, blues and 3" JT system. Happy days!

I then had to drive to the New Forest to see friends and family and load her up for the 500 mile journey home...I had a load of kit stored at a mate's place that I hadn't taken to France:

With hindsight, I probably shouldn't have made such a long trip after having had major surgery (for cancer) in June as it's left me feeling pretty tired, however the results speak for themselves.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me out during the last year.

Mods, could you shift this into the projects section please? There will be more to follow!
    Last edited by JelT5; Thursday 18th August 2011 at 08:11.

21. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to JelT5 For This Useful Post:

96T5Andy (Wednesday 17th August 2011),Alan M (Wednesday 17th August 2011),AndysR (Wednesday 17th August 2011),cameron (Thursday 18th August 2011),Flatout Phil (Tuesday 23rd August 2011),frobes2 (Tuesday 23rd August 2011),Jamest5r (Wednesday 17th August 2011),p fandango (Wednesday 17th August 2011),S70T5Chris (Wednesday 17th August 2011),t5lover (Wednesday 17th August 2011),Vikingxl (Wednesday 17th August 2011),Yorkshiresxi (Wednesday 17th August 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    great write up and great pictures glad you are happy with the car now

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Vikingxl For This Useful Post:

JelT5 (Wednesday 17th August 2011)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Well done VPC...glad to see so much volvo love

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yorkshiresxi For This Useful Post:

Flatout Phil (Tuesday 23rd August 2011),frobes2 (Tuesday 23rd August 2011),JelT5 (Wednesday 17th August 2011),t5lover (Wednesday 17th August 2011)

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Quality job lads, many a lesser person would of given up but thanks to a lot of hard work a classic has been saved.

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jamest5r For This Useful Post:

frobes2 (Tuesday 23rd August 2011),JelT5 (Wednesday 17th August 2011),t5lover (Wednesday 17th August 2011)

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    alot of people would have broke the car lol, well done mate another t5-r lives for another day

29. The Following User Says Thank You to T5frankie For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Glad your sorted now Jerry, and can start enjoying the car!
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

31. The Following User Says Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

Thread Information