Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Well, my 2003 D5 had very similar problems and has just been diagnosed as needing a new fuel injector (at £245). I have already changed the fuel filter and put in some cleaner and it is perhaps slightly better.
    Is it worth going for a used injector (about £50) or can anyone recommend either cheaper source of new or reconditioned injectors.
    Cheers,
    Mark
    Mark
    NW Wales
    2008 V70 D5

This user has no status
    Thanks

personally i would get the codes read 1st,
    could be injector,could be throttle body,could be a few things,
    if its an injector then it will show as a fault,
    they do apparently have some issues with injectors,
    but dont undo the fuel pipes to the injectors as your supposed to change them once you undo them as they apparently leak after that,and they are very very expensive,and also number 1 injector is a primary injector,
    if the ecu doesnt get a signal from that one then it wont start,and i cant remember if it has to be programmed if changed.
    if its throttle body or throttle pedal,as its fly by wire,all the crap on the carpet or rugs etc can get into the sensative pedal electronics...then your pedal gives the throttle body the wrong info,then the throttle body trys to do what its being told,while the ecu is expecting a diffrent signal for the possition of pedal and vehicle revs/speed etc...
    get codes read would be better....and even get live data read if they can so you can opporate items and see that they are working correctly etc.
    T5 STEALTH

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/album.php?albumid=21 AND A MERCURY CAPRI
    RIP alan (kyebosh)

230K, aiming for 300k!

Thanks
    Wotcha,

Just chip my penneth worth in.

I've had a couple of problems which may or may not be related to this topic, but sound similar. ('03 V70 D5)

I have had the car cough and die twice (possibly a third time this morning - although I could have been a bit heavy on the clutch) when sitting at idle. The two times it has definately happened, the car has thrown a warning 'Service Urgent' or something to that effect. Switched off and started again immediatley. (Very immediatly as I was on the M6!)

The two codes logged were ECM 2503 and ECM 2505- Both 'Fuel pressure too low'.

As a precaution the dealer replaced the fuel filter, which the technician claimed was a known problem. Other than the possible third time, I have not noticed anything since, although I do feel sometimes the old girl is a bit underpowered when booting it.

Also I have had a few times where the car has started 'as if only on one cylinder', and the other day it took a good 10seconds of turning over to fire up. All cold starts. Hasn't missed a beat since.

Going to monitor the situation, but just though it might be related.

230K, aiming for 300k!

Thanks
    Spee, did anything come of all this? Did the problem ever resurface?

Not to hijack the thread, but I've had it happen again this morning.

Regular A-Road potter into work, nothing too brisk (lorries!), occasional full bore overtake, other than that a normal 30 mile drive.

Got to a set of traffic lights, sat for 5 mins, all ok. Moved onto the next set of lights, and as I was stationary (clutch in, idling), the engine coughed and died. Up comes the message 'Engine Service Urgent'. Switched off, restarted, no further problems.

The engine dying seems to be as if the fuel line has been clamped as it dies off rather than just stalls, which would tie in with the engine codes earlier on.

In response to some of the posts the following applies:

1: Car gets treated well, with the occasional 'enjoyment' of the D5 torque (i.e: The occasional 'thrash')

2: Just been serviced last week

3: 160k miles

4: EGR mixer pipe cleaned out over christmas (wasn't too bad, but had a good 10mm of gunk coating the inside)

5: Main dealer read the codes and consequently changed the fuel filter back in November.

I have a warranty on the car, however unless theres some firm evidence as to what the problem is, they will not do anything. I'm getting the impression its injectors as my car falls into the 2003-2004 trouble period (from what I read on another thread).

This user has no status
    Thanks

what mileage has your cars done,
    i heard the d5 has turbo issues around 140,000 miles,

and had a d5 at work the other day that had the service urgent warning,and missed a beat now and again,and not as responsive as usual,

it was towed in as the turbo died...and pumped oil into the engine.
    causing the engine to over rev flat out even with the keys out,
    this happens with oil burners if they suck in oil it will run like its diesel,except you have no throttle control...it revs to hell all on its own,
    the end result was a second hand turbo and intercooler as it blew that to bits,
    i had to remove the front pipe and cat and clean it out,
    undone the exhaust and it poured out about 2 or 3 pints of oil,

and if you got a rattling or metalic noise from the rear of the engine then i would get it checked asap before it turns into something nasty...if it is a turbo problem,
    if you remove one of the big pipes to the turbo and have a feel of the rotor to make sure it hasnt any excessive movement,

when i removed the turbo the rotor was rattling around in the housing like a marble,
    T5 STEALTH

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/album.php?albumid=21 AND A MERCURY CAPRI
    RIP alan (kyebosh)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spee View Post
    My fuel economy is superb, I'm averaging 50 plus, no effort at all, realistically around 54 across a tank full. It's still doing it, but again, it's random! I drove home 60 miles last night, quite a few "missfire" moments on part/gentle throttle, coming back down to work today, the same 60 miles in reverse, it never missed a beat! Strange!

G
    60 miles in reverse! That's not good for your gearbox
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    hello,
    I'm french, so I speak little English. (thank you google trad)

Do you have finally found the solution to the defects 2505 2503?
    because I have the same on my car, idling my car is unstable, and sometimes the engine stops especially in the traffic jam.

thank you to tell me if you have found the solution.

In France there are not many user volvo and it's hard to find information.

thank you

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spee View Post
    My fuel economy is superb, I'm averaging 50 plus, no effort at all, realistically around 54 across a tank full. It's still doing it, but again, it's random! I drove home 60 miles last night, quite a few "missfire" moments on part/gentle throttle, coming back down to work today, the same 60 miles in reverse, it never missed a beat! Strange!

G
    You drove 60 miles in reverse..... impressive !

This user has no status

Thanks
    Mon probleme est, un sifflement (ou soufflement) moteur qui disparait brutalement a 2000tr, ainsi qu'un manque d'agrement (manque de couple et accoups).

Mais dés que je passe les 2000tr, tout va bien.

Ma premiere hypotese etait la geometrie variable du turbo, je l'ai nettoyée, mais ca n'est pas ca.

Maintenant j'ai une autre hypotese, vous me dites si elle vous parait sensée.

Je me dit que peut etre que mes pipes d'admission d'air sont encrassées ou bouchées, et ce qui ce passe c'est:

Entre 0tr et 2000tr le volet de turbulence (swirl) est fermé donc l'air ne doit passer que par les pipes d'admission (bouchées?)
    Au dessus de 2000tr, le volet s'ouvre et l'air peut passer par la.

Est ce que vous croyez que ca pourrait faire siffler le moteur?

Je precise d'autre choses.

- des fois je n'ai plus le sifflement (quand il fait froid)
    -le matin, quand j''arrive pour la 1ere fois de la journée a 1800tr, j'entend un espece de "croups" dans le moteur qui ne se reproduira que le lendemain matin.
    -parfois, a chaud et au depart d'un feu, ou dans les embouteillages, ma voiture cale en 1ere. Il me suffit de couper et redemarrer et cest bon. Ca me donne l'impression que ma voiture "n'aime pas les departs en 1ere.

Désolé si j'ai été trop long.
    Merci de m'avoir lu et de vos avis.

This user has no status

Thanks
    My problem is, a whistle (or blowing) engine that has suddenly disappears 2000tr, and a lack of approval (lack of torque and accoups).

But as soon as I pass the 2000tr, so good.

My first was hypotese variable geometry turbo, I cleaned, but it is not ca.

Now I have another hypotese, you tell me if you seem sensible.

I can be said that my air intake pipes are clogged or blocked, and what happens is this:

0TR between the flap and 2000tr turbulence (swirl) is closed so the air must pass through only by the intake ports (blocked?)
    2000tr above, the shutter opens and air can pass through.

Do you think AC could whistle the engine?
    hello

I specify other things.

- Sometimes I do not have the hiss (when cold)
    -morning, when I arrived'' for the first time that day has 1800tr, I mean a kind of "croup" in the engine that will not happen until the next morning.
    -sometimes, a warm and starting a fire, or in traffic, my car stalls in the first. I just cut and restart and thats good. Makes me feel like my car "does not like in the first departures.

Sorry if I've been too long.
    Thank you for reading and your advice.

Thread Information