Join Today
    Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts

Lightbulb How to remove a front strut

The NEXT task to be understaken - changing the struts and uppper rubber mounts. This is a GREAT visual guide:

http://members.shaw.ca/heeeeee/strut/

Although it does not mention any Volvo special tools. Will I need them?
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    No, you'll only need normal tools, just remember to get your geometry checked afterwards as the bottom bolts for the strut control the camber of the wheel.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomcat For This Useful Post:

Flatout Phil (Saturday 1st May 2010)

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    No, you'll only need normal tools, just remember to get your geometry checked afterwards as the bottom bolts for the strut control the camber of the wheel.
    Mine is all to ££££ anyway, so will be getting it done. How much time would you budget for each side once it is up on axle stands?
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Shouldn't take long if you know what your doing, maybe an hour a side?, obviously more if you've not done it before.

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Shouldn't take long if you know what your doing, maybe an hour a side?, obviously more if you've not done it before.
    Done it on things like BMW 520 E28, and VW Passat Mk 1, can't be much different, but that was a while back (er, like 10 years).
    KISS Rs

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    At least you have an idea then, not like you've not held a spanner before,lol.

Previous cars:

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks

Unhappy

No. That's true. Years ago I was into Imps, and I remember once removing an engine and gearbox, with a friend, in twenty minutes - that's called practice (and I don't get too much these days). Lucky to have a dad who never wanted to spend anything on getting his car fixed and I remember many a weekend in the garage doing all sorts of things. So when I got my own car (Dolomite 1300), the first thing I did was fit a new clutch, twin carbs and respray it. Which, on reflection, was quite ambitious.

But the BMW and the 850s are BIG AND COMPLICATED cars - or in other words, cars with air-con, fancy cooling, fuel injection, twin cams, timing belts, and loads of diddly bits, and engines you can't lift. I could carry an Imp complete engine in my arms (not sure I could now)!
    Also, I don't currently have a covered workspace, let alone a garage - and I have much less time: but one of these days...
    KISS Rs

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    I know exactly what you mean, I used to do all my own jobs because I either didn't trust anyone else to do it right or I couldn't afford for them to do it. Now age is playing a major part in it and I just can't be arsed doing the larger jobs that I wouldn't have thought twice about doing before.

Previous cars:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    on my v70 when I stipped the strut down there was a little cross type nut which was difficult to shift (volvo special tool required). I ended up with an adjustable spanner on it which worked a treat.
    I dont know if its the same on the 850 but thouht it was worth a mention. good luck

1998 Toyota previa 2.4 LPG
    7 seats and still room for my dog
    Not as quick as my old t5 though!

God I miss her...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to phil_woods For This Useful Post:

Flatout Phil (Saturday 1st May 2010)

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Have been a spanner a few times though...
    KISS Rs

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatout Phil View Post
    Have been a spanner a few times though...
    Lol, yeah me too.

Previous cars:

This user has no status

Thanks
    yeah the cross nut on the top is a pain in the ass. it will shift but is easier if your top mounts aren't sh***d like mine was. other than that the only issue i had was having to readjust the spring clamps. not a huge amount of space under the arch so once off take care and respace the clamps to make life easier. think it took me and a truck mechanic 30-45 mins to get the bugger off reassembled and back on plus the raising and lowering obviously. the joys of a pit and well stocked garage!

Thread Information