Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Build

your mars a welder

Thanks

Engine Build

rite guys some of yous may know that am after a fair bit of power from my car so i have getting hold of a spare engine that am goin to build to a good spec am after a few things and will require some help and info from yous lot cheers,

1st things 1st rods and pistons , am after some forged rods and some pistons the standard pistons are good for well over 400bhp so they will be good for me , but the rings have seen better days , does any 1 know where i can get some rings for standard size pistons , plenty ofplaces sell rods so they wont be a problem.
    mains and big end bearings are still in good condiction but for safety am goin to put some new 1s in , standard 1s are easy to get but does any 1 know where you can get an uprated or harded shell . the turbo is going to be a well proven 1 for 400bhp on a 4cy car .
    and is it worth stayin with genuine volvo bits for the oil pump head gasket etc cheers , and also a intercooler
    thanks
    lee

heres some pics of the old engine stripped down

your mars a welder

Thanks
    this isnt good lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    If you're looking at the 400bhp mark, standard volvo parts should be fine AFAIK. You'll get piston rings from the dealer, see Rufe for that. As for rods, you're right there are quite a few options, but don't spend a bomb mate. You'll get plenty of advice to stay away from 'cheap chinese rods' by people who have no experience of them, just what they 'think'. Go with what has been proven by others would be my advice. I'm personally using THS rods (cost about £300 IIRC), and know of plenty of other people using the same.

I believe Tim Williams has a couple Ally Intercooler's left (i may be wrong), so might be worth sending him a PM about them. I'm using the same one, as are quite a few others.
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

4. The Following User Says Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

leet5r (Thursday 22nd April 2010)

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    As I said in a PM you cannot now get rings for the 850 Mahle pistons, you can still get them for the AE pistons fitted to the X70 cars.

your mars a welder

Thanks
    cheers lads i posted on here because its easyer for me to upload pics. i would ask what size pistons i need but yous would not be able to give a 100% answer with outh seen the engine , everything is in good workin order to the best of my knowlage. am goin to try and get the engine to a local engineering plave and see if they can wash the engine and see what they say about the size of pistons then al get back in touch, its a shame youus dont live nearer sunderland lol

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Have a look on top of the piston mate there will be a letter stamped on it, mine have a "D" stamped on it Rufe will need this if you call him, Volvo can supply the pistons and rings for £384 i spoke to him last week about mine.

If i was you i would get the engine rebored then you will have the exact measurement you need for new pistons, like what im doing.
    Last edited by Jamest5r; Friday 23rd April 2010 at 19:32.

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

your mars a welder

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamest5r View Post
    Have a look on top of the piston mate there will be a letter stamped on it, mine have a "D" stamped on it Rufe will need this if you call him, Volvo can supply the pistons and rings for £384 i spoke to him last week about mine.
    cheers james , will i not need over sized pistons and rings or just over sized rings. av got the numbers off he mains and big ends , al have another look and get some numbers off the pistons , and try and get the block to a machine shop to see what size i will need
    cheers

Jim
    Thanks
    Depends how much they think need machined mate have you got a lip at the top of the bore?

your mars a welder

Thanks
    Depends how much they think need machined mate have you got a lip at the top of the bore?
    yes m8 where the ring stops with the piston , nothing bad al get it to a machine shop and probs will need over sive rings and pistons

Jim
    Thanks
    You can .5 and 1mm oversize from volvo, i only know this because smithy done the same on his redblock rebuild. Same man is building my engine.

your mars a welder

Thanks
    You can .5 and 1mm oversize from volvo, i only know this because smithy done the same on his redblock rebuild. Same man is building my engine.
    cheers bud , its a shame yous lot are down south

Jim
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by leet5r View Post
    cheers bud , its a shame yous lot are down south
    Mate i moved from London to Birmingham im up north to me lol

your mars a welder

Thanks
    Mate i moved from London to Birmingham im up north to me lol
    pop round then m8 am in sunderland lol. you got any other parts for sale, i still after a gearbox but got no more room in the bat shed , as i have 3 engine and about 6 turbos lying about

This user has no status
    Thanks
    When I rebuilt my lump a couple of years ago I had no problem getting Volvo parts. Rings, mains and big ends were all available although it was damn expensive although the quality was excellent and you won't get the comprehensive set of mains shells to set up the crank if you get pattern. Did have a breakdown of all the prices posted somewhere on here but I'm damned if I can find it !

your mars a welder

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nobananas View Post
    When I rebuilt my lump a couple of years ago I had no problem getting Volvo parts. Rings, mains and big ends were all available although it was damn expensive although the quality was excellent and you won't get the comprehensive set of mains shells to set up the crank if you get pattern. Did have a breakdown of all the prices posted somewhere on here but I'm damned if I can find it !
    what do you mean m8 , comprehensive set , it would be great if you could find the price list , it would help me price up

Jim
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by leet5r View Post
    pop round then m8 am in sunderland lol. you got any other parts for sale, i still after a gearbox but got no more room in the bat shed , as i have 3 engine and about 6 turbos lying about
    I have a m56 g/box might have sold it to a new member on here but hes in ireland so just checking onn postage if not yours for £45 will know in the next couple of days, what else you after?

your mars a welder

Thanks
    I have a m56 g/box might have sold it to a new member on here but hes in ireland so just checking onn postage if not yours for £45 will know in the next couple of days, what else you after?
    if you can sell it then sell it as i have no more room just yet , any performance bits

Jim
    Thanks
    Knowing you mate and your mission for 400bhp i doubt very much if ive got anything hanging around that would be any good to you lol

your mars a welder

Thanks
    Knowing you mate and your mission for 400bhp i doubt very much if ive got anything hanging around that would be any good to you lol
    haha am alwasy temped to buy stuff when av got a bit spare cash on bits that i dont need or will max out sooner rather than later lol

Jim
    Thanks
    Spare cash??? what's that then? all mine's gone into my engine rebuild lol but like you i will have a new engine but mine has to be a daily drive so 300bhp and 470n/m will be fine for me would be well happy with that

Thread Information