Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

1.9D engines - reliability and history

Hello All,

I'm very familiar with the audi engine 2.5D (TDI on 850) and the D5 engines (and they have been 100% reliable in my ownership)

I'm considering a smaller estate at the moment, and the post 2000 (facelift) v40s are looking appealing.

There does seem to be conflicting information on the 1.9D engines.
    I always knew they were renault engine, and certainly up to 2000, this link would agree with that.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_F-Type_engine#FxQ

But from here:
    http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/review...96.aspx?page=2
    there is a suggestion that the direct injection engines are new?

So i don't know if anyone can help, but i'm trying to find out if these are still renault engines, are fitted with dual mass flywheels or not (its mentioned on the honestjohn pages) and how reliable the 1.9 engine (115hp) is.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    iv got a 2001 s40 115bhp.my mechanic friend says its a renault engine.its quite good to drive,get 90 miles to a tenner,quite quiet.mine has started to make a rattling noise on tickover a bit like a sort of heat shield rattle apparently its my flywheel which are meant to be crap..

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie69 View Post
    iv got a 2001 s40 115bhp.my mechanic friend says its a renault engine.its quite good to drive,get 90 miles to a tenner,quite quiet.mine has started to make a rattling noise on tickover a bit like a sort of heat shield rattle apparently its my flywheel which are meant to be crap..
    Check the big engine cover bolts they come loose and rattle, I had to buy a new cover cuz the mink that had my car before me ripped it off.
    Thanks
    Martyn

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    I do lots of miles in my V40 and touch wood i havnt had any mechanical problems except when the mechanic broke my fuel filter holder and the car kept stalling, the garage thought it was the fuel pump so I got it rebuild costing a small fortune. I know my clutch is on its way out but thats really it.
    Thanks
    Martyn

This user has no status
    Thanks
    checked everywhere.was told its the dual mass flywheel and they cost a fortune so im awfy tempted to sell that and my t5 and buy the golf anniversery in anstruther on ebay..

This user has no status

Thanks
    They still had Renault engines fitted (2000 on) and they are pretty rugged if treated properly, like any other engine.
    The clutch as far as the mechanic we use is aware it's just a standard one,some VW have dual mass flywheels.
    The plastic trims are better than other Volvo's of that era inmo.
    The only reoccurring problem they do have is the handbrake calipers which if not watched will seize which requires a big hammer and some oil to free off.
    If you do buy get a top spec one or you will regret it.

Singing in the rain!
    Thanks
    Got rattles from myinjectors and the bottom end is just starting to make a noise but apart from that nothing major.
    "I am never wrong! Just in a position to learn something new!"
    Mods so far, HLM ReMap, Goodridge brake lines, Eibach springs lowering 35mm, K&N57i filter with cold air, Strut brace, Shark fin aerial, Boost guage
    YES IT'S A DIESEL
    Wish list, BOV, 18" rims, Struts, Stainless exhaust, Injector Upgrade, MORE POWER!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    wheres the injectors?have to look and see if thats anything to do with my rattle.

Singing in the rain!
    Thanks
    It's more of a ticking from the injector. They're under the engine cover at the front of the engine use a screwdriver to listen to each injector individually (like a stethoscope) you should hear some ticking but if one is louder than the rest that could well be the problem.
    "I am never wrong! Just in a position to learn something new!"
    Mods so far, HLM ReMap, Goodridge brake lines, Eibach springs lowering 35mm, K&N57i filter with cold air, Strut brace, Shark fin aerial, Boost guage
    YES IT'S A DIESEL
    Wish list, BOV, 18" rims, Struts, Stainless exhaust, Injector Upgrade, MORE POWER!

Thread Information