Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Question Tuning an S40 Sport?

Once I have my baby fixed up I though of getting it tuned at AMD where my nephew gets his car tuned up.

I am not so much interested to get it to go faster, but more in fuel usage, as to use less fuel than it does now.

Can this be done with a bog standard S40 S 2 litre engine? Or lets say is it worth the bother and the costs? Will I save money in the long run or will it be too minimal to even try bother?

Will it be more responsive when accelerating? Especially in 2nd gear as I find that one a bit sluggish?

OK, a bit more ooohmmph and saving fuel is wanted. Will tuning help?

BTW: When in Germany fill up with the premium stuff. They have alcohol in it. The car loves it, runs smoother and the engine just purrs along wanting to go faster by itself. ;-)

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Remaps often give more performance and slightly better fuel economy, if the fuel you put in is high quality.

Your driving style is the biggest factor in fuel consumption, that and correct tyre pressures and perhaps a set of low rolling resistance tyres might help?

IMHO nothing you'll do apart from part exchange your car will make that big a difference to your MPG's!

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

This user has no status
    Thanks
    AMD should be able to sort you out- they are good at what they do and they've just introduced a car this season at the BTCC.
    2003 V40 2.0T Sport Lux

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I've NEVER seen better fuel economy from a remapped car, and I've had a few remaps in my time on various Volvos!

There are rumours, and of course "your mileage may vary", but I wouldn't go into it expecting to save fuel

Cheers...
    Alastair
    Current: 2009 Cayenne GTS and a 2016 Prius IV... yes.
    Previous Volvos: 2009 V50 D5 R-Design, 2005 V70R, 2001 V70 T5, 2001 S40 T4, 2x 1999 S40 T4, 2003 V40 T4, 1999 V70 T5, 1996 854 T5 & 855 T5, 1995 855 T5, and a 480...
    Previous other stuff: Saxo Turbo, 2004 996 C4S, 2008 Z4M, 2001 Yaris T-Sport, 2002 S2000 Mugen, and a 1999 Evo VI

UK League Champion SQ Advance
    4k Euro EMMA

Thanks
    errrr what's fuel economy? :p

This user has no status

Thanks
    It was just a thought, Because the cost of fuel is just going up and up.....

The car had some sort of thinner Michelin tires on when I bought it, but were very expensive to replace so went with the best Michelins I could afford at the time.

However might return to them, but in effect I would have to buy 5 new tires instead of just two for the front that need replacing. Anyway that's some luxury I might consider in the future.

UK League Champion SQ Advance
    4k Euro EMMA

Thanks
    The best tyres I ahve got on my T4 are Pirelli Zero Nero's assymetrico's. Superb in the wet, stick to the road in the sun. Have been superb

Thread Information