Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status

Leic/Lincoln/Notts...often in the same day.
    Thanks

Very tempted...2005 S60 T5

After a couple of high cost repairs on my 530d (and some prompting from the missus who hates it's 'old man' image) i've been looking round for a replacement motor.

I do 24k a year so obviously diesel is my best option in the current climate, and i've had my eye out for all the usual suspects inc a D5 without much luck in my price range.

So yesterday, very sensibly me thinks, I drive 70 miles to look at an 05-plate S60 T5...and now i'm in a right head vs heart quandry.

Its a dark coloured ex-plod motor so poverty spec, but in excellent condition inside-out and only 73k. 6-speed/260 version. Lower max boost point etc etc.

Took it for a short test drive and its a bit of a monster. Felt as tight as a drum and not at all tired nor baggy. Handles, stops and steers on a different planet to my old 01 S60 T5 due to the upgrades. Performance wise - the dealer did the usual 'its a 300bhp version' patter and I know this has been debated ad nauseum on here previously, but subjectively it feels at least on a par with my previous rica'd 01-plate S60, so i'm inclined to believe its not standard.

Problems to mull over...

Economy - assuming 33mpg on my motorway commute, its going to put £1k on my annual fuel bill (but the car is quite cheap to start with)

ICE - I'd be taking a gamble that the wiring etc is present behind the police facia plate. Anyone got any experience here?

Zero history - the dealer said that as it was an undercover car, the history would be nearly impossible to get out of the West Mids force who owned it previously (perhaps he's already tried and failed?)

Selling it on - i'll probably sell it after a year and this might be tricky due to spec and history.

Any thoughts?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'd say it all depends on price. If its REALLY cheap, it might be worth a dabble, as long if its cheap enough not to worry about re-sale value in 12 months time.
    If everything is spot on, and you dont have to spend pots of money making it good, then it could be a better bet than buying a higher priced diesel.

BUT, the way the fuel prices and insurance prices are going, I think your gonna have a spot of trouble moving it on in 12 months, but again, if it is cheap, you may be able to let it go cheap

Get a D5 or a E39 530d Sport 2001 on
    Thankyou, Goodnight....much love

This user has no status
    Thanks
    It'll be in the £400 odd tax band as well won't it ?

Personally I wouldn't go there, but it's up to you of course.
    Chris
    2010 Alfa Romeo 159 JTDm
    2001 V70 T5 SE (RICA 310)
    1997 9000 Aero (Abbotted)

Visit my Rant

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Probably time for you to get busy with Excel, see how the costs are going to work themselves out over the planned period of ownership and what you might reasonably expect at re-sale.
    Princepugh

V70 T5 P2

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cornclose View Post
    It'll be in the £400 odd tax band as well won't it ?

Personally I wouldn't go there, but it's up to you of course.
    No.

Ex-police cars are in the PLG band....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Loadsamiles For This Useful Post:

cornclose (Thursday 8th April 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KPB View Post

Zero history - the dealer said that as it was an undercover car, the history would be nearly impossible to get out of the West Mids force who owned it previously (perhaps he's already tried and failed?)
    All police vehicles have same or better than main dealer service history. That is the last thing to be worried about.

The Volvos are also subject to a 3 year 150,000 mile warranty with the police too! As such all parts used are genuine Volvo.

The biggest let-down on ex-police cars is usually the suspension, but a quick drive of one will soon show that up. Air-con gets neglected too.

I'd be far more wary of an ex-business fleet car, or an ex-hire car as they don't get looked after as well.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loadsamiles View Post
    No.

Does that mean it will be about £185 a year? Result. The model is listed as a band 'k' on Parkers.

Btw, thew purchase price is £4650, so not bad for an 05.

Fuel bills are my biggest worry, but my budget for a diesel was £5k, so in real terms the £1k fuel bill hike I mentioned earlier is closer to £650. I used 1.20 per litre as my benchmark. Obviously I need to factor in about £100 for a stereo. I don't think the car needs any other work doing at present.

Very tempting...

This user has no status
    Thanks

ICE - I'd be taking a gamble that the wiring etc is present behind the police facia plate. Anyone got any experience here?
    piece of piss!

All you could want and more.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Does that mean it will be about £185 a year? Result. The model is listed as a band 'k' on Parkers.

Btw, thew purchase price is £4650, so not bad for an 05.

Fuel bills are my biggest worry, but my budget for a diesel was £5k, so in real terms the £1k fuel bill hike I mentioned earlier is closer to £650. I used 1.20 per litre as my benchmark. Obviously I need to factor in about £100 for a stereo. I don't think the car needs any other work doing at present.

Very tempting...
    Yes. It's down to a loophole as the cars have to be band classified at first registration and these cars are registered in a "police" tax band (zero). Upon re-classification the DVLA do not have the means to re assess them so they get dumped in the PLG group. This means cheaper tax. Mine has six months on it at about £100

I just paid £4500 for a 140,000 mile 55 plate V70 (white) so that price is actually very good. The only thing with mine is I landed a motorway only car so it drives like new.
    Last edited by Loadsamiles; Thursday 8th April 2010 at 10:47.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Loadsamiles For This Useful Post:

KPB (Thursday 8th April 2010)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Yes. It's down to a loophole as the cars have to be band classified at first registration and these cars are registered in a "police" tax band (zero). Upon re-classification the DVLA do not have the means to re assess them so they get dumped in the PLG group. This means cheaper tax. Mine has six months on it at about £100

I just paid £4500 for a 140,000 mile 55 plate V70 (white) so that price is actually very good. The only thing with mine is I landed a motorway only car so it drives like new.
    Any problems when installing a stereo?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    No.

Well there you go then. That's interesting. Still, it's not for me, but each to their own.
    Chris
    2010 Alfa Romeo 159 JTDm
    2001 V70 T5 SE (RICA 310)
    1997 9000 Aero (Abbotted)

Visit my Rant

This user has no status
    Thanks
    None really if you've fitted one before.

You need to splice the wires as Plod usually cut into the speaker wires for their radio.

Other than that the P2 V70 is one of the best cars to fit stuff to. Loads of room and plenty of wiring points.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Loadsamiles For This Useful Post:

cornclose (Thursday 8th April 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    but my budget for a diesel was £5k

SURELY you can get a really nice diesel for that money????

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2005-VOLVO-S60...item335b8b91f2

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2005-55-Volvo-...item2eac3b9e85

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2006-56-Volvo-...item2ea9c2c15b
    Thankyou, Goodnight....much love

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Liddo For This Useful Post:

KPB (Thursday 8th April 2010),volvokid (Friday 9th April 2010)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Stereo wise, I've just put a Volvo 603? stereo in, came from a scrapyard W plate V70, plugged straight in to my ex-plod 2004, all for £10.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Markie View Post
    Stereo wise, I've just put a Volvo 603? stereo in, came from a scrapyard W plate V70, plugged straight in to my ex-plod 2004, all for £10.
    Cheers mate. You're probably right but I have noticed ebay facia plates are different pre and post-04. So i'd thought the facelift model stereo shapes were slightly different...but I could well be wrong.

If I buy it, first port of call will be a main stealer to get a list of appropriate stereo model codes. I found a 2005 V70 owners handbook online, which lists the HU650 and HU850 as the options for that year. So I know at least those fit.

straight5
    This user has no status
    I say go for it. T5 engine is worth the extra fuel bills, over a Diesel engine. I get far more smiles per gallon than I have ever had out of a Diesel. (Just my opinion). If you do hundreds of miles a week, it can be so much more fun to have that extra grunt and nicer engine note.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Problem with an undercover car you do not know what it has done or how its been driven unlike a motorway car. I would also walk away at that price as in 12 months I would say you will be lucky to £2k the way things are. My opinion is not an experts opinion just from years of lookin, buying, and selling. I would snap it up at £3250 but no more. Also bear in mind not all think like me.
    Current - 2018 XC60 R Design T5 (petrol) Polestar
    Previous :2016 XC60 D5 R Design (diesel) 2011 Volvo XC60 T5 (petrol)
    S60 T6. 70 T5 SE Jaguar S Type R 2004. 2 No Volvo S 80 T6's

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    If petrol prices are going to spike this summer that will really hammer 2nd hand prices on big petrols - maybe wait till Juny/July and if petrol prices are high pick up a petrol bargain ?

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

This user has no status
    Thanks

No Issues, standard plugs, facias (proper Volvo double Din) from Rufe. Stereo adaptor harness from any online spot (or halfrauds).

Fits perfect, looks the part, would not be a tough job!

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to thebadger For This Useful Post:

KPB (Friday 9th April 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks

?[/QUOTE]

Have seen plod cars in Strathstones at Brum, might be worth checking stealers to see if they have history.
    Old age is inevitable, acting your age is optional.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Marvin For This Useful Post:

KPB (Friday 9th April 2010)

Thread Information