Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Bugg*r me' racks leaking !

Had MOT today and all was (sort of) well apart from there is a small weep of fluid coming from the N/S rack gaiter (which will explain why the pump ran dry a few weeks ago !). Does anyone know if all the racks from the 850 range are the same and are the V70 classic racks interchangeable ?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Just spotted this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-850-STEE...item439e78d6e6

Anyone fitted a seal kit before to one of these racks and if so what sort of job was it ?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have one of those service kits to fit when I next take the engine out just to freshen up the rack in place already. I have just changed out the rack in the past but that was a right pain.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan M View Post
    I have one of those service kits to fit when I next take the engine out just to freshen up the rack in place already. I have just changed out the rack in the past but that was a right pain.
    That's what I was thinking, the right pain bit. I pulled the engine, box and rack out on the subframe a few years ago and couldn't see an easy was to change the rack on it's own. I guess changing the rack will mean supporting the engine and removing the subframe. I wonder if you can change the rack end seal without removing the rack, hmmm.

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    V70 racks have a different size rack end-to-track rod thread (had this problem with mine) the 850 rack has a 14mm thread, and the V70 has a 16mm thread (though mine has the 16mm as it is a late 96 model and there must have been a crossover period).

HTH

Bomb
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bomb192uk View Post
    V70 racks have a different size rack end-to-track rod thread (had this problem with mine) the 850 rack has a 14mm thread, and the V70 has a 16mm thread (though mine has the 16mm as it is a late 96 model and there must have been a crossover period).

HTH

Bomb
    Thanks bomb, so mine may have the 16mm ends too as it's a 96' (will have to check).

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nobananas View Post
    Thanks bomb, so mine may have the 16mm ends too as it's a 96' (will have to check).
    Could be mate.

When I went to change mine, eurocarparts supplied the 14mm, and when I took it back, they said they didn't list any other size for the 850, and I went to a few different places and they all said the same thing. So in the end I just bought a V70 one and it fitted.

Actually, you should be able to tell from the part number on the rack.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

nobananas (Wednesday 14th April 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I had chucked some stop leak in a week ago or so (before I actually found out where the leak was !) but it ain't done 'owt. Have ordered some Lucas stuff which is supposed to be very good comes with a 'pinch of salt' guarantee to stop leaks. Thought I'd give it a try to tide me over till I can sort it properly.

Thread Information