Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Turbo timer yes or no ?

I can't see any previous posts about this. Thing is took my lad out for a short full throttle blast in it the w/e and pulled into the drive and he was surprised I switched the engine straight off.
    As he and his brother have both had a variety of very fast turbo motors between them over the years ( Japs ) they have always fitted turbo timers.
    I had forgotten this and as this is the first turbo'd car I have owned I did'nt give it a thought as to cooking the turbo.

Anyone one else use one, or suggest to use one ?

P2 T5 btw

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Just don't rag the ass out of it in the last minute of driving.

It is illegal in the UK to leave a vehicle running whilst unattended, and may invalidate the insurance.

there are not many cases of cooked turbos on T5's and most make it to at least 150,000 miles.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Loadsamiles For This Useful Post:

SKIDMARKS (Wednesday 7th April 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The handbook does mention allowing a brief cooling period following 'heavy load' driving conditions. As per loadsamiles, taking it easy in the last few minutes of the drive should suffice.
    Princepugh

V70 T5 P2

5. The Following User Says Thank You to princepugh For This Useful Post:

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    i used to have one on my 850 & did come in handy, my only concern is i'm not sure how compatible it would be with a P2 with them being a smarter ECU & having a transponder on the key. The alarm on them is a Thatcham Cat 1 which has 2 circuit imobilisation & might confuse the system trying to keep it running while the alarm/ECU is trying to shut it down

7. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    drive up your own street slowly and idle with it on drive driveway for a minute before you jump out ?

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

9. The Following User Says Thank You to t5_monkey For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Im with everyone here just take it easy on the last 5 min of the drive and you should have no issues

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Vikingxl For This Useful Post:

I have been unfaithful to
    Volvo twice since joining this
    forum but it's only for more
    than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    This is a big issue on the S4 im running I always drive slowly the last mile literally tickover in 5 th/6th up my road I then switch everything off except the engine unclip belt get out of car get anything I need out of car including myself then switch off after 30 seconds of daudling!
    2004 V50 T5 SE

13. The Following User Says Thank You to lance For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    At least with a timer, if it is possible to fit, taking fandango's comments into consideration, would run long enough to cool it.

I know from my lads turbo's they do vary a fair bit in cooling down times dependent on how little or hard they have been ragged, so am guessing without one fitted it is a bit of estimate as to how long to cool down for.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SKIDMARKS View Post
    I know from my lads turbo's they do vary a fair bit in cooling down times dependent on how little or hard they have been ragged, so am guessing without one fitted it is a bit of estimate as to how long to cool down for.
    LINK this is the one i had, altho it was under a different branding. Its got an auto mode so the time the engine left running after you've turned off depends on how the car's been driven

16. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    i used to have one on my 850 & did come in handy, my only concern is i'm not sure how compatible it would be with a P2 with them being a smarter ECU & having a transponder on the key. The alarm on them is a Thatcham Cat 1 which has 2 circuit imobilisation & might confuse the system trying to keep it running while the alarm/ECU is trying to shut it down
    Yes they will work on a P2.

The police use them (they have a legal exemption)

The car only uses the transponder at startup.

The way they work is to simply bypass the ignition switch. The police devices have an interlock so if anybody touches the vehicle controls they will immediately shut down. The reason they have them is to keep all the vehicle systems running when they bail out for a chase or are on the scene attending to issues.

As I mentioned before, Our cars don't seem to be suffering any kind of major turbo failures from them being cooked, nor are we all frying our oil, or superheating our coolant. You could fit one as a gimmick just for the hell of it, but unless you live at the top of a high speed hill, you really arent going to be risking your turbo.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loadsamiles View Post
    The police use them (they have a legal exemption)
    there must be a loop-hole, Turbo Timers have been around for many years now & companies like Clifford wouldn't be allowed to sell them as a feature on there alarms if they didn't know a way around it. Plus F*rd would be forced to recall all the Phase 1 Crocus ST's that don't turn themselves of when you get out if you've got keyless entry

The way they work is to simply bypass the ignition switch. The police devices have an interlock so if anybody touches the vehicle controls they will immediately shut down. The reason they have them is to keep all the vehicle systems running when they bail out for a chase or are on the scene attending to issues.
    the one i linked to turns off as well if the controls are touched while in countdown

As I mentioned before, Our cars don't seem to be suffering any kind of major turbo failures from them being cooked, nor are we all frying our oil, or superheating our coolant. You could fit one as a gimmick just for the hell of it, but unless you live at the top of a high speed hill, you really arent going to be risking your turbo.
    he's already said he's turned it off once & new to turbos so not that much of a gimmick, doesn't hurt to be extra carefull

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    there must be a loop-hole, Turbo Timers have been around for many years now & companies like Clifford wouldn't be allowed to sell them as a feature on there alarms if they didn't know a way around it.
    The Police have some sort of exemption. The system is called "run lock"

I'm not dismissing the idea of a turbo timer completely, just questioning the necessity for it in a situation where there doesn't seem to be an issue.

Our turbos seem quite adequately cooled (air, oil, water) where some are not, some are even heat wrapped and take an eternity to cool down.

So in the light of the lack of real need for the system one has to weigh up the implications of cost, legality, and invalidation of insurance should the car be stolen.

On the question of legality....
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...side-home.html

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loadsamiles For This Useful Post:

cornclose (Thursday 8th April 2010),princepugh (Friday 9th April 2010)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loadsamiles View Post
    The Police have some sort of exemption. The system is called "run lock"

I'm not dismissing the idea of a turbo timer completely, just questioning the necessity for it in a situation where there doesn't seem to be an issue.

Our turbos seem quite adequately cooled (air, oil, water) where some are not, some are even heat wrapped and take an eternity to cool down.

So in the light of the lack of real need for the system one has to weigh up the implications of cost, legality, and invalidation of insurance should the car be stolen.

On the question of legality....
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...side-home.html
    Absolute joke... driver gets £30 fine and a stealer gets a slap.. mind you that's if they manage to get off their asses to investigate. Neighbour up the road got burgled a week ago and still no show from ploddy.

Lawnmower Boy
    Now known as WAPAHO!!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,162 Posts
    I have one in my 850.... engine still bloody blew up though!!!!!

Current Garage:
    1997 960 3.0L 24v - Polestar...(Honest guv..!!)
    1997 855 T5 S - stripped to 1300kgs gross weight - 14.2sec qtr(rank 17*)
    2001 V40 T4 SE - 14.199@100.15MPH - Hybrid Turbo/VXR injectors and DeCat(Rank 15*)
    *Data Sept 2013
    Any Stuff For Sale - check out my Ebay link

This user has no status
    Thanks
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVm4Y0na69w[/ame]

This user has no status

Thanks
    Professional job eh ? maybe he thought it as his birthday puff puff

Thread Information