Join Today
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

So begins Project Volvrat!!

Well after getting my 850 T5 wagon, I started to get bored and thought I'd do some modding to it, and after much deciding, I opted to go down the rat look route with her.

She started off life with me looking pretty alright, but in need of some TLC to get her looking perfect.

First part of the project was to get the alloys off and get some nice steel wheels on, and these babies turned up on eBay at a right steel (see what I did there lol) so got her sitting on these lovely 15" rims.

And then today, I've done the hood now, it's all down to the bare metal and I am debating on if I should laquer it like it is or let it rust? I am thinking rust will look more rat, and not dazzle other drivers when we do get sun, but it is getting some good looks driving round with the hood like this

Last edited by Crazy_C; Tuesday 30th March 2010 at 16:03.
    matt black turbo brick rat - you know it makes sense

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Are you running good tyres on that thing, it may be a bucket of crap but its still a T5 and needs to grip the road for safety
    Thanks
    Martyn

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Not sure i understand the rat look but i do know why people go for the sleeper look (and i really like it), and i suppose this is just a more extreme version of that. Its not really my thing, but if everyone thought the same the world would be boring! Different is good. Good luck with your project (i think!)lol. BTW i bet you'll shock people with that at the lights!

This user has no status

Thanks
    They're the steel wheels off an S60 so they're pretty decent tyres. Got new Firestone tyres on the front, and then odd ones on the back, but does the job nicely 195 wide tyres too, eventually I'll see about getting 205s on there when they need replacing, but these tyres are providing a decent amount of grip.

Liam, it's one of those things that you either get or don't, but as you say, it is like an extreme sleeper look. I love the fact that I'm gonna paint her next week on a day off, and if I get bored of that look, I can just change it on another day off, and not worry about it at all It's all a bit of fun really. Most people do it to old German cars, thought I'd bring it to the Swedish side

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Fair play. At least you don't have to worry when you go to a carpark about idiots who can't seem to open their door without hitting you!

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by volvokid View Post
    Are you running good tyres on that thing, it may be a bucket of crap but its still a T5 and needs to grip the road for safety
    I say Martyn! Bucket of crap??? That's a bit harsh...
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_C View Post
    Well after getting my 850 T5 wagon, I started to get bored and thought I'd do some modding to it, and after much deciding, I opted to go down the rat look route with her.

She started off life with me looking pretty alright, but in need of some TLC to get her looking perfect.

First part of the project was to get the alloys off and get some nice steel wheels on, and these babies turned up on eBay at a right steel (see what I did there lol) so got her sitting on these lovely 15" rims.

And then today, I've done the hood now, it's all down to the bare metal and I am debating on if I should laquer it like it is or let it rust? I am thinking rust will look more rat, and not dazzle other drivers when we do get sun, but it is getting some good looks driving round with the hood like this

Can't you strip the entire car, now that would be something...
    Looks a bit DeLorean at the moment - watch out when you get to 78mph!
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

This user has no status

Thanks
    It's 88mph (sorry, big fan of the films lol). And yes, I could do the whole car like that, but it wouldn't really be suitable for the roads cos we had a bit of sun earlier and it was really rather dazzling!!!

Liam, yea, that's the best bit - there are loads of carpark dings in her already, but just doesn't matter if there are any more LOL

Phil, it's meant to look like a bucket of crap (at least when it's done) so I don't take any offence to that, and infact, it's like a compliment!!

This user has no status

Thanks
    How to loose every penny you spent on buying the car in one easy step

This user has no status

Thanks
    I bought it for £500, and when I was down the auto shop today I had someone offer me £1500 for it so it's increased in value to the right people

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_C View Post
    I bought it for £500, and when I was down the auto shop today I had someone offer me £1500 for it so it's increased in value to the right people
    Um hum of course they did

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    isnt the bonnet aluminium on an 850? (ignore me I'v just seen the other thread)
    Last edited by claymore; Tuesday 30th March 2010 at 19:17.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

NOS
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,341 Posts
    think i would of bit is arm off never mind is hand?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Defo not my thing but can appreciate it..My apprentice at work loves the polo/golf rat look.

Gizza job!
    Thanks
    I like it.

I probably wouldn't do it myself, but it wouldn't do if we were all the same.

Keep us posted.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Mate, no offence an all that, its just MY PERSONAL OPINION, but your making/have made a nice car into a right F****n piece of ****!, whats the point of making a mobile terd, its not a good look is it, its like turning yourself into a Tramp with no money or job, such a waste, i mean, its not like you even have the novelty factor of blowin people away by havin a 400 Brake forged engine under the bonnet have you! so, why would you wanna drive around in such a **** car, its embarrasing and not cool at all, Rat was for dossers who **** afford to do proper mods!

Why dint you try and make your own style/look, Rat was well dead and gone at the end of last year!
    Why didnt you just strip it and do the track thing, or Drag strip or fast road monster, its much more fun, easier to do, rewarding, cheap, and done right............Cool! Less is more dude!

Think your idea/project is S**T!, and it pains me to see such a cult car so F****D up!

(no offence!)

Craig
    My awesome 855 Gone but never forgotton.

currently cruising (Hmmmm) in my S.60 2.0T, with mild mods, and a RICA remap. very niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cragmaz For This Useful Post:

colnotts (Tuesday 30th March 2010),T4_Al (Sunday 20th June 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    from prestige to rat lol, go for it mate, aint my cuppa t like, but im sure it'll be cool

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cragmaz View Post
    Mate, no offence an all that, its just MY PERSONAL OPINION, but your making/have made a nice car into a right F****n piece of ****!, whats the point of making a mobile terd, its not a good look is it, its like turning yourself into a Tramp with no money or job, such a waste, i mean, its not like you even have the novelty factor of blowin people away by havin a 400 Brake forged engine under the bonnet have you! so, why would you wanna drive around in such a **** car, its embarrasing and not cool at all, Rat was for dossers who **** afford to do proper mods!

Why dint you try and make your own style/look, Rat was well dead and gone at the end of last year!
    Why didnt you just strip it and do the track thing, or Drag strip or fast road monster, its much more fun, easier to do, rewarding, cheap, and done right............Cool! Less is more dude!

Think your idea/project is S**T!, and it pains me to see such a cult car so F****D up!

(no offence!)

Craig
    LOL this man has spoken for volvo kind

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    As you can see above many people have different oppinions but if you like the rat look go for it.
    Ive always liked the cars that look like ****ters and then they go like mad it certainly shocks people.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5 pete View Post
    As you can see above many people have different oppinions but if you like the rat look go for it.
    Ive always liked the cars that look like ****ters and then they go like mad it certainly shocks people.
    But an 850 isn't going to go like mad - unless your going to spend buckets on tuning and upgrades its just going to be your average T5 which in todays climate of vauxhall turbo's and Ford ST's etc really isn't that quick anymore.

The whole sleeper thing is great but this isn't a sleeper because its drawing attention to itself and has nothing to show for it

Unless of course 'crazy' is going to make a 500bhp monster out of it that it?

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrsmopp For This Useful Post:

T4_Al (Sunday 20th June 2010),volvokid (Wednesday 31st March 2010)

Thread Information