Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Unhappy c70 t5.. not happy

hi all,
    well iv had the convertable 75 for a few weeks now, not impressed at all with it, its very vague on the steering, has no lock at all on it for turning, it clonks and bangs on bumps and still shudders over bumps?

someone please tell me they arnt all like this, the garage said it wouldnt drive as well as my bmw , but hey come on, this cant be right?

iv left a message with the garage to call me back about it? ill see how good the garage is now with its 3 month warrenty on it, glad i took out a 3 year aa one as well though

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    is your C70 stock? You'll need some mods on it before it drives well even if it is in working order.

Sounds like the bushes and drop-links might be worn with the clonking. Maybe good to take it to a decent independent garage to get a 2nd opinion on if there's a fault prior to asking them to make repairs?

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

This user has no status
    Thanks
    yes its totally stock ,bit disapointed that im gona have to do upgrades though to get it to handle well.

we did check the mot history and the steering rack has been welded? is this common?mite have something to do with the useless turning circle on it?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    mine is standard and its fine it handles well for the size and is yours the soft top cos i have heard that their not aswel done as the standard coupe as in handle wise but i have got a few bangs but thats down to needing new bushes or something else not sure yours shouldnt be that bad like
    Cars
    2001 C70 2.0lpt Silver 163bhp

2005 S60 D5 SE Black 163bhp - Dyno'd 191.8Bhp 290 FTH

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The C70 cabrio does suffer with dissapointing handling, completely different to the coupe. unfortunately they were in topgears top 10 comedy handling cars. That aside as I'm sureyo'll agree they're perfect.

As the T5 came to a lonesome end

Its just the V70 2.5 10 valve SE, pictured here with the 2 people that make life worth living, my babies.

Needs a wash Image taken in the beautiful Malin head, Irelands most northerly point.

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    I think we'd all admit that volvo's aint the best handling cars out there, most beemers would be a lot better, but i think they ok for a big, powerfull front drive car. Sometimes worn bushes, shocks etc can have huge effect on the handling.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    true like for the size i dont think its that bad like
    Cars
    2001 C70 2.0lpt Silver 163bhp

2005 S60 D5 SE Black 163bhp - Dyno'd 191.8Bhp 290 FTH

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 727 Posts

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by uglybetty View Post
    yes its totally stock ,bit disapointed that im gona have to do upgrades though to get it to handle well.

we did check the mot history and the steering rack has been welded? is this common?mite have something to do with the useless turning circle on it?
    If yours has the me7 engine then it's a known design fault with the racks. The earlier model cars shared the same racks as the older 850's and were near on bullet proof. The ones fitted to the me7 engined models had a bracket around them that was poorly designed and the spot welds would come apart causing the car to fail the mot. A new one from Volvo fully fitted is around the £800 mark iirc with only a 12 month warranty for the parts and labour.

A convertable Volvo will not handle well as standard i'm afraid.

The turning circle has always been bad on these cars. Mine has 18" wheels and you just get use to not using full lock.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    mhhh well thanks for the info guys, looks like its a love hate relationship with it then lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Strut brace, up-rated Drop-Links (all corners), Camber adjusters, Wishbone bushes (poly) & a good wheel alignment.

The turning circle on all the 70/60/80 series is comprable to a small naval vessel. You could buy smaller steering limiters, but then you'll get rub on full lock.

Next step would be some uprated shocks & lowering springs, but then you're into nearly four figure parts & labour bills. Shop smart and get lots of options before you buy & fit anything.

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    You are never going to modify out of it the fact it hasn't got a roof. Every review going on the convertible stated it had appalling scuttle shake. I love my Volvos but chop it in for a nice 330 rag top

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Best place to get started on the handling is prob the rear roll bar IPD do one for your car I believe, Mines got ford focus DNA in it so handled quite well to begin with but the roll bar made a massive difference.

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
    Best place to get started on the handling is prob the rear roll bar IPD do one for your car I believe, Mines got ford focus DNA in it so handled quite well to begin with but the roll bar made a massive difference.
    I reckon the boffins at Mr Ford had a little meeting and said, "okay, we'll give Volvo the Focus floorpan and suspension setup, but we want you to sabotage it, so it cannot possibly handle as well as our Focus, ok?" So they unbolted and threw away the rear arb !

Thread Information