Join Today

Thread: Towing advice

This user has no status

Thanks

Towing advice

Hi there,

I have a V70 T5 phase 2, and I am intending to take the other 'toy' car to North Weald drag strip in June on a trailer.
    I am going to use slicks this time and will be easier to get setup before I go, so as I now have a tow car it will make life easier and won't have to worry about cooking anything !
    Question, is the car ( auto ) up to pulling a 350kg trailer with a 550 kg car without extra cooling for the tranny.

Thanks.
    Last edited by SKIDMARKS; Tuesday 23rd March 2010 at 11:50.

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    I would have thought you might be asking for bother with a 900kg load - that's a fair hunk of weight - maybe at/past the max towing weight for that car? (should be in the manual.)

Not a towing expert but I believe you can get transmission oil coolers fitted without too much bother?

Might be an idea to limit your speed on the M-way to be on the safe side

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

3. The Following User Says Thank You to t5_monkey For This Useful Post:

SKIDMARKS (Wednesday 24th March 2010)

This user has no status

Thanks

Towing Weight

I think from memory 1800 kgs is the maximum loaded trailer weight (braked of course) There is information on the Chassis plate inside the engine bay.
    We used to tow a two horse box (right on the limit) with previous Volvo's and still have a P1 V70 T5 Auto (Stage 2 Rica 3" downpipe and stainless BSR Exhaust) 146k with a Volvo retractable tow bar fitted from new. We never had any additional transmission coolers or needed them.
    We have 2 other P2 V70 T5 Auto's one equipped for towing but not used as the P1 takes the brunt.
    As an aside the P1 was on the rolling road last October and made 294 BHP pretty good for a 12 year old 146k car that still lives a pretty hard life pulling a single horse box.
    So 900 kgs should be no problem.
    By the way speed is limited when your towing to 60mph on the Motorway and you are not allowed into lane 3. Check the Highway code online.
    Last edited by mds; Tuesday 23rd March 2010 at 13:47.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mds For This Useful Post:

in dilema near ilford
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SKIDMARKS View Post
    Hi there,

I have a V70 T5 phase 2, and I am intending to take the other 'toy' car to North Weald drag strip in June on a trailer.
    I am going to use slicks this time and will be easier to get setup before I go, so as I now have a tow car it will make life easier and won't have to worry about cooking anything !
    Question, is the car ( auto ) up to pulling a 350kg trailer with a 550 kg car without extra cooling for the tranny.

Thanks.
    i've towed my lunar delta twin axle 500-2 birth 3 times? not even a hint of a problem with 95 850 t5 auto

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 5seaterT5x2 For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    With only 900kgs mate you should be good to go. I too pulled my old Lunar Moonlight which weighed a whoping 1100kgs will my T5 850 and you would not have known it was there and the car ran at normal temp, although mines was manual. Not to well knowledged on the lazy box.

As the T5 came to a lonesome end

Its just the V70 2.5 10 valve SE, pictured here with the 2 people that make life worth living, my babies.

Needs a wash Image taken in the beautiful Malin head, Irelands most northerly point.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to volvoturboman For This Useful Post:

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    900kg isnt even a tonne ive know of 240's pulling a 3 tonne trailer weight you wont even know your pulling anything. i think your not allowed to exceed the trailer weight of any thing over the weight of your car.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to t5 pete For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5 pete View Post
    900kg isnt even a tonne ive know of 240's pulling a 3 tonne trailer weight you wont even know your pulling anything. i think your not allowed to exceed the trailer weight of any thing over the weight of your car.
    Actually now that you mention that me too. I know a guy bought an old 240 auto estate for pulling a cattle trailer. So 2 cows and the big iron trailor, massive weights and the gearbox worked fine, he did however tell me that on tow he was getting 9mpg from the 2.3 engine lol.

As the T5 came to a lonesome end

Its just the V70 2.5 10 valve SE, pictured here with the 2 people that make life worth living, my babies.

Needs a wash Image taken in the beautiful Malin head, Irelands most northerly point.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to volvoturboman For This Useful Post:

wanting to get busy with my
    twins, twin zx9r's that is
    Thanks
    i pulled a super banger (3mm plated car all round) and twin axle trailer with a v70 t5. never even struggled once and the train weight was combined at a steady 2.4 tonne.

then when found out it was over weight sold the super banger!!

you will have no worries at all with your car even in standard form.

just make sure all lights work on trailer and brakes. and correct number plate fitted to trailer. you also now need out rigger lights on them (lights on mud guards and rear outer edge) and car must be secured with a strap on each wheel. as we where informed by a roadside VOSA check last race meeting. (2 weeks ago)

vosa are cracking down on trailers and more than happy to fine if not transporting load correctly.

hope that helps
    because it just had to be done

15. The Following User Says Thank You to streaky744 For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    Have a look here:
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27803
    close on 1500kg, no problems
    Max train weight in the book is 3.5tons.
    Caravans the guidance (not law) is 85% of kerb weight, mainly 'cos of side winds blowing you about.
    900kg of car and trailer will be no problem.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Markie For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yeah, Towing a trailered vehicle & towing a massive box on wheels (caravan) have very different handling when towing.

Failing that you're concered by tow weight, remember that nose weight of the towed item is most important.

If in doubt, you could put the car on with the engine at the back. This will reduce nose weight & should limit the effort required by the tow car.

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to thebadger For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies, amusing one's as well. Now I realise it's a (T)ruck 5

Not a problem towing, more concerned about the auto box if it needed an extra cooler.

Thread Information