Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Failed MOT - headlight help

Had the car in for MOT today and to my surprise it only failed on one headlight not being able to get the correct beam pattern. Im told the reflectors tend to go on the V70 yet both mine seem fine with no rust though the failed one looks a bit dirty.

Is it easy to take the headlights apart and clean them or is time to buy a new one?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sebasteeno View Post
    Had the car in for MOT today and to my surprise it only failed on one headlight not being able to get the correct beam pattern. Im told the reflectors tend to go on the V70 yet both mine seem fine with no rust though the failed one looks a bit dirty.

Is it easy to take the headlights apart and clean them or is time to buy a new one?
    Very simple, but you have to be careful cleaning them as the silvering will come off the reflector if you rub too hard.

Undo the electrical connections on the back of the headlight, remove the indicator (press down on the square plastic tab on the top of it, use a torch if you can't see what I'm talking about) disconnect the indicator bulb and put to one side.

3 x 10mm bolts, 2 on radiator side, one on wing side (can be accessed through the hole that appears once indicator is removed if it's a bit tight). Flick the wiper forward and rotate/lift light away from car.

Place glass down on a cloth, get a slothead screwdriver and flick off the black metal clips, glass will lift away from casing. There is a rubber seal between the light and lens, make sure to put it back in properly when re-assembling.

Refitting is reverse of removal, honest!! Just be patient when putting the re-assembled headlight back in the car, just takes a bit of jiggling to get it to drop back in properly. When you go to re-attach the indicator just make sure you line the lugs up with the slots on the side of the headlight.
    Last edited by Wombatbomb; Monday 22nd March 2010 at 17:13.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wombatbomb For This Useful Post:

sebasteeno (Monday 22nd March 2010)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Before you dsmantle the headlamp it might be worth checking that the headlamp bulb is correctly installed. If it isn't you won't get the correct pattern.

Pookie

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts

Time for some aftermarket projectors with HID's....
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pookie View Post
    Before you dsmantle the headlamp it might be worth checking that the headlamp bulb is correctly installed. If it isn't you won't get the correct pattern.

Pookie
    i agree with this man

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Dont be surprised if you snap some of the lugs off the indicators/headlights as they get brittle with age so be very careful!!

This user has no status

Thanks
    It actually failed on both lights with my HIDs in so i quickly pulled them out and stuck some old bulbs in when it then passed on one but still couldnt get the correct beam with the other. Gonna do some cleaning today and swap my main beam blue coated super white bulbs to the dipped beam and hopefully it'll then get through the test.

This user has no status
    Thanks

just fit standard bulbs,if its back to original it has a better chance of a pass lol,then you can change them after its got its mot lol.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Tried two sets of bulbs and one of the headlights doesnt want to play ball with the light all over so had to buy another one off a breaker. As soon as its here and fitted ill have 12 months ticket.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    O' yeah very common on V/S/C70 P1's. Mines went same way and you wouldn't have had a clue. It was my drivers one that went and to look at was identical to passenger side. Handiest, cheapest and easiest option was to buy second hand ones. Did so and it sailed through, bought them off another fellow member here for £50 the pair.

As the T5 came to a lonesome end

Its just the V70 2.5 10 valve SE, pictured here with the 2 people that make life worth living, my babies.

Needs a wash Image taken in the beautiful Malin head, Irelands most northerly point.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    When you take it back for the retest unless your 100 percent sure it's okay ask them if they wouldn't mind checking the headlamp pattern BEFORE they log it on otherwise if it fails again your retest is used up and it's another full test next time.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nobananas View Post
    When you take it back for the retest unless your 100 percent sure it's okay ask them if they wouldn't mind checking the headlamp pattern BEFORE they log it on otherwise if it fails again your retest is used up and it's another full test next time.
    Theyre quite cool with me as its my regular place so dont mind me going back as many times as i want.

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    It actually failed on both lights with my HIDs in so i quickly pulled them out and stuck some old bulbs in when it then passed on one but still couldnt get the correct beam with the other. Gonna do some cleaning today and swap my main beam blue coated super white bulbs to the dipped beam and hopefully it'll then get through the test.
    I wonder how many people here have been failing with HIDs because I am beginning to think that I will change mine before the MOT just to save hassle (and put them back later - along with the 55w main beams and the two pairs of Stebel twin-nautilus horns...
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatout Phil View Post
    I wonder how many people here have been failing with HIDs because I am beginning to think that I will change mine before the MOT just to save hassle (and put them back later - along with the 55w main beams and the two pairs of Stebel twin-nautilus horns...
    Hi Phil

Mine goes through ok with HID's ... But I suppose to be safe you could swap them over .

I wil call re the ARB just been a bit busy with work

Rich
    1996 855 R
    1995 855 T5
    1968 Califorian Imp

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Clan998 For This Useful Post:

Flatout Phil (Wednesday 24th March 2010)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatout Phil View Post
    Mine has passed the last 2 MOT's with them fitted, however they are fitted to projectors and therefore produce a good pattern and cut-off. The standard lights are not capable of correctly focussing a HID, hence the failures.

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombatbomb View Post
    Mine has passed the last 2 MOT's with them fitted, however they are fitted to projectors and therefore produce a good pattern and cut-off. The standard lights are not capable of correctly focussing a HID, hence the failures.
    I keep thinking about projectors but I don't like the look that much, on the other hand, I would guess the light throw is probably better. And then again, I guess projectors are not height adjustable? I might fit some just for a bit and see what I think - although they do look a bit CORSA for my liking on the 850; like hoopy earrings and peroxide highlights on a posh bird - just doesn't work.
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

This user has no status
    Thanks
    mines been in for the m.o.t today and its failed for the exact same reason!! Apart from that it sailed through so all my hard work has paid off . Failed on both sides but its just my passenger side one that needs replacing because of the incorrect pattern. Any body on here got one for sale????

Thread Information