Join Today
    Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts

Question IPD Rear and Front Installations

Ongoing situation here.

I think the rear should be home-doable - albeit with a realign afterwards - there is a very nice sequence illustrating it here:

http://volvospeed.com/Mods/sway_rear.html

The front looks MUCH trickier:
    http://volvospeed.com/Mods/sway_front.html

I really would appreciate some informed advice. Local garages are coming up with four hours labour on the front one - which is a bit pricey round here £250 ish. I don't think it will take so long (with a four post jack etc!) but I do think the IPD instuctions tend to make the job look excessively complicated.

If anyone has an informed view on how long the front should take (I don't have anyone to help, and don't have a garage but am reasonably experienced in spanner wielding and have trolley jack, axle stands etc) and don't feel too confident tackling the job on my own. If anyone has any garage recommendations in south east London or north Kent let me know. Or if you from experience, areas in which the IPD instuctions can be worked around, please let me know.

Wobbly Dave, Russ, Pedro and other notable gurus, do let me know if you can!
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

This user has no status

Thanks
    Talk to Tim Williams, he has fitted a number of these, both front and rear.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wombatbomb For This Useful Post:

Flatout Phil (Sunday 21st March 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatout Phil View Post
    Ongoing situation here.

I think the rear should be home-doable - albeit with a realign afterwards - there is a very nice sequence illustrating it here:

http://volvospeed.com/Mods/sway_rear.html

The front looks MUCH trickier:
    http://volvospeed.com/Mods/sway_front.html

I really would appreciate some informed advice. Local garages are coming up with four hours labour on the front one - which is a bit pricey round here £250 ish. I don't think it will take so long (with a four post jack etc!) but I do think the IPD instuctions tend to make the job look excessively complicated.

If anyone has an informed view on how long the front should take (I don't have anyone to help, and don't have a garage but am reasonably experienced in spanner wielding and have trolley jack, axle stands etc) and don't feel too confident tackling the job on my own. If anyone has any garage recommendations in south east London or north Kent let me know. Or if you from experience, areas in which the IPD instuctions can be worked around, please let me know.

Wobbly Dave, Russ, Pedro and other notable gurus, do let me know if you can!
    Phil

I was gonna say Tim he's done plently on my car but he is in Coalville in Leicestershire ... well worth the 150 mile drive tho .

I dont mind helping you do the rear one , Ive just done one on mine.

Ill give you a call to discuss.

Rich
    1996 855 R
    1995 855 T5
    1968 Califorian Imp

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    Cheers for that Rich.

As for the front - sent a PM to Tim. Anyone else got a view?
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatout Phil View Post
    Cheers for that Rich.

As for the front - sent a PM to Tim. Anyone else got a view?
    recently changed both front and rear on mine to ipd, and yeh i can confirm the front is a right awkward bstard. mines an awd, so i dont know if that makes it more awkward. and the steering gaurd crash plate was proberly most awkward bit, but dont think they are on the front wheel drive's. really up to you mate, it is totally do'able, just use wd on all the nuts, helps alot.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mental Wealth Doctor For This Useful Post:

Flatout Phil (Tuesday 23rd March 2010)

Thread Information