Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Question New 850 T5...queries.. Help please..!

So the new Autumn Gold T5 is here and I have the following questions if anyone can assist please?

1) The handbrake seems very poor. Is there a help link on here I've missed or can someone explain with some pictures if poss the adjustment of the handbrake etc. Are they shoes inside the discs hub?

2) It sounds like the suspension struts(?) creak over minor bumps. WD40??

3) Any guidance to removing the BCS? My T5 swings to about half way in the white on boost, thoughts are the BCS could be sticking?? Need to double check all the vac hoses but a lot appear newish.

4) Oh and on part throttle the car sometimes feels as though it's surging a little as it's approaching boost. BCS again??

Any further help on T5 checklists would be appreciated.

Cheers Mark
    Last edited by madhouse; Monday 15th March 2010 at 14:24.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    yes the rear handbrake shoes are inside the hubs and can be adjusted from there not sure if there is an adjustment on the handbrake inside the car aswell.
    the BCS is eady to remove iirc its just 2 torx bits holding it onto the airbox.
    i also have the creaking from front suspension with a bit of a rattle to it as well iv always put this down to top mounts and droplinks but never really checked so cant advise on that sorry.
    And the surging i also get under part throttle as if the boost is cuuting in the cutting out because you are just on the point of the turbo kicking in although im running a mbc so wouldnt think its down to the bsc.
    hope some of that helps

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    You can adjust the handbrake cables from inside the centre console, lift the lid, remove the little panel at the bottom and you should be able to adjust the cables.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

This user has no status
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by callyuk View Post
    yes the rear handbrake shoes are inside the hubs and can be adjusted from there not sure if there is an adjustment on the handbrake inside the car aswell.
    the BCS is eady to remove iirc its just 2 torx bits holding it onto the airbox.
    i also have the creaking from front suspension with a bit of a rattle to it as well iv always put this down to top mounts and droplinks but never really checked so cant advise on that sorry.
    And the surging i also get under part throttle as if the boost is cuuting in the cutting out because you are just on the point of the turbo kicking in although im running a mbc so wouldnt think its down to the bsc.
    hope some of that helps
    Whats the MBC please? #Edit: Manual Boost Control??

I have an FSE fuel regulator valve which I gather has been added at some point would this cause or aid the surging?
    There again could be the BCS but could be a normal T5 trait based on callyuk? Arrgh lol

If in doubt thrash it and see
    what happens
    Thanks

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by madhouse View Post
    So the new Autumn Gold T5 is here and I have the following questions if anyone can assist please?

1) The handbrake seems very poor. Is there a help link on here I've missed or can someone explain with some pictures if poss the adjustment of the handbrake etc. Are they shoes inside the discs hub?

2) It sounds like the suspension struts(?) creak over minor bumps. WD40??

3) Any guidance to removing the BCS? My T5 swings to about half way in the white on boost, thoughts are the BCS could be sticking?? Need to double check all the vac hoses but a lot appear newish.

4) Oh and on part throttle the car sometimes feels as though it's surging a little as it's approaching boost. BCS again??

Any further help on T5 checklists would be appreciated.

Cheers Mark
    See added bits below
    WAF - hope this helps.
    1) Yes and its easy job. If the car has been used for handbrak eturns etc. or if you regularly stop the car by using the handbarake it may be the linigs have come adrift. They are not like the older cars which had rivted on linings - just glue! Both mine came off in under 10k miles. Guess how!

2) Only try SMALL amounts of WD40 to locate the problem. Wont fix it though - just identify which parts to replace. All easy to get. Knocking would be droplinks, creaking more likely sticky TCA/bottom bushes or worn top mounts. May be struts - inspect rod surface for dirt or wear marks.

3) Mine used to go to only half way in the white when standard. Since RICA now goes off the white. And faster:>)

4) Get your injectors cleaned and test/replace ignition parts (plugs, cap and leads ) before spending money on other areas. Can make a BIG difference if there is a dodgy plug or sticky injector. Jimathon on here is good for injectors.
    Last edited by woz; Monday 15th March 2010 at 22:15. Reason: badly phrased.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to woz For This Useful Post:

madhouse (Monday 15th March 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    See added bits below
    WAF - hope this helps.
    1) Yes and its easy job. If the car has been used for handbrak eturns etc. or if you regularly stop the car by using the handbarake it may be the linigs have come adrift. They are not like the older cars which had rivted on linings - just glue! Both mine came off in under 10k miles. Guess how! I hope it hasn't been used like that, don't think so based on the pervious owner. It had been stood a week or so, I'm hoping just a seized linkage maybe? Linings is a good point though. Is it a disc off jobbie? It's recently had new rear discs so wonder if the handbrake has not been set correctly?

2) Only try SMALL amounts of WD40 to locate the problem. Wont fix it though - just identify which parts to replace. All easy to get. Knocking would be droplinks, creaking more likely sticky TCA/bottom bushes or worn top mounts. May be struts - inspect rod surface for dirt or wear marks. It has had polybush lower arm insert I believe and wondered if these are causing the creaking. Will have a nosey around although it's just passed it's MOT so should be fine.

3) Mine used to go to only half way in the white when standard. Since RICA now goes off the white. And faster:>)

4) Get your injectors cleaned and test/replace ignition parts (plugs, cap and leads ) before spending money on other areas. Can make a BIG difference if there is a dodgy plug or sticky injector. Jimathon on here is good for injectors Will maybe run the car on V-Power for a bit and see if it helps, but yes will check plugs leads etc too. All good fun!!

Watch this space!!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    yes it is a disc off job to get to the handbrake shoes but not if you are only adjusting them as there is a hole in the disc inbetween the wheel nut holes for inserting a screwdriver for adjustment bit fiddley but the adjuster is at the top little wheel that needs to be turned cant rememeber which way sorry

If in doubt thrash it and see
    what happens
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by madhouse View Post
    [/COLOR]

Watch this space!!
    WIll do.
    p.s. I just remembered my HB went ping when I caught the car on the handbrake at the top of our lane. Its a steep hillstart out onto main road, I rolled back about a foot or two, grabbed the HB and it made a noise sounding like a cable snapping and the HB never held other than on very level ground after that. Mechanic showed me the bits of lining rattling around loose which had been causing a knocking and intermittent squeal as well.
    Yes its disc off but its not hard.
    Good luck.
    W

Thread Information