Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

A few tuning questions

Hi all i am going to look at a 1995 850 t5 GLT auto with 114k on the clock tommorow in the hope to buy it, now my dad used to have a phase 2 but i know this will be different, i am going to fit the rica 304 ecu but am also wanting to fit a decat/full system and induction kit but i understand these have a different intercooler to normal ones, i have been reading and looking at pictures and understand the v70 has a reverse intercooler, would this benifit me in any way and would it make a difference in hp, im not looking for massive hp but a resonable amount and can see obviously over 300 with the setup above?? Will i need to uprate anything else such as brakes, i am going to lower the suspension about 20-40mm and no more as i want a set of 17's and not to scrub with more than 2 people in.

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    you won't see a genuine 300bhp without some serious mods (despite what the tuners may tell you.) The top genuine power is supposedly about 320bhp for a super clean 2.4 T5 with all the mods.

Uncorrected Power at the wheels is all that matters, crank power is always a dodgy area.

First step is a stage 0 - get everything checked properly, a good service and a dyno run as stock so you can measure any improvements.

Next step is a software remap - will give you a decent power increase for buttons. A K&N typhoon air intake may sap power (due to heatsoak) so go for a CAI setup if you can, or even just a K&N Panel filter. Hamish at HLM motors is doing some good deals on older cars at the moment I think.

Decat is a cheap alternative to a sports cat and 3" downpipe. As for the reverse piping there'll be some benefit, but probably nowhere near as much as getting a 3" downpipe, and remap.

As for brakes - that depends how much of an animal you are behind the wheel best bet for basic suspension mods is:

- IPD rear rollbar
    - Strut Brace
    - Sports Springs
    - Alignment check

Braided brake lines will help your feel, but unless your spanking the arse out of your car in a big way you shouldn't encounter fade and brake issues on the open road - you may if you go on track days.

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

This user has no status

Thanks
    I would put brakes as the first step. 280mm fronts are ok for the 10 valve 850s but the t5 is so much faster,even before any mods. My 302mm upgrade made a real difference and made me feel much more confident in what is after all quite a heavy car.

This user has no status

Thanks
    i always give all my new cars a full service, i.e oil, filter and plugs change, then im gonna go for a injector treatment in the fuel to clear out any carbon, i think then i will change the ecu and get a full system including a decat, and an induction kit with heatshield. will see from there how the car goes.

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
    A K&N typhoon air intake may sap power (due to heatsoak) so go for a CAI setup if you can, or even just a K&N Panel filter.
    having been thru more air filter designs than i dare to remember i've never had any problems with heat soak from an open filter, i even did experiments with a Pipercross Viper canister filter using it both sealed & open & again no difference. I've found Pipercross to be better than K&N tho (from personal experience)

Decat is a cheap alternative to a sports cat and 3" downpipe. As for the reverse piping there'll be some benefit, but probably nowhere near as much as getting a 3" downpipe, and remap.
    the reverse flow shortens the air flow by 14"s & also removes many twists & turns, brings the turbo in quicker

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will_1223 View Post
    im not looking for massive hp but a resonable amount and can see obviously over 300 with the setup above??
    For a proper 300bhp you will need to upgrade the turbo.

http://www.terrabear-newfoundlands.co.uk/
    You always come back to what you know !!!
    13.8@ 103mph fastest forum 850 in 2010 Running 286bhp(former owner)

Thread Information