Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts

changing S60 radio

the 4 disc headunit in the old mans S60 has got the CD ERROR problem & won't accept discs, i've been offered a nice Kenwood unit so quite happy to get a fascia & fit that. Will we be able to unplug my radio & fit it straight into his without having any silly software issues or matched to the car etc. His also has TV while mine doesn't but will it still be compatible

final question, can someone recommend a double din fascia & the cables i need to run an aftermarket unit with the factory amp, preferably plug & play so i don't have to cut any wiring

many thanks Duane

This user has no status
    Thanks
    PM Rufe, he can sell you a Volvo OEM part that is a double din unit facia plate.

Dunno about the stereo swapping stuff. I have a Pioneer double din, & have never had a Volvo stereo.

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thebadger For This Useful Post:

p fandango (Wednesday 10th March 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Check out Rufe for sure. When I worked for the dealer Volvo supplied the radio units as exchange items at a fraction of the cost of a new one.

I think it would be difficult to improve on the standard stereo without spending LOTS! So I'm a big fan of fitting what's supposed to be there.

"Sgt. Butterman? Little hand says it's time to rock'n'roll!"
    "Bring the noise!"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to v70torslanda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thebadger View Post
    PM Rufe, he can sell you a Volvo OEM part that is a double din unit facia plate.

Dunno about the stereo swapping stuff. I have a Pioneer double din, & have never had a Volvo stereo.
    being impatient i've just brought an Autoleads single DIN fascia from ebay, they only seemed to do double DIN for the 2006- cars. Eventually i'd like a slide out screen so single will do. Just had a look at the Volvo accessories & they do a double to fit 2000- on, serves me right for being impatient

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by v70torslanda View Post
    Check out Rufe for sure. When I worked for the dealer Volvo supplied the radio units as exchange items at a fraction of the cost of a new one.
    can you remember if the exchange units had to be coded to the car in anyway, or will i just be able to fit mine into my dads car?

I think it would be difficult to improve on the standard stereo without spending LOTS! So I'm a big fan of fitting what's supposed to be there.
    the Dolby centre channel does help alot (which i won't be able to use with the Kenwood) but not too impressed with the rest tbh. Atleast with an aftermarket unit i'll be able to add a some better bass which it desperatly needs

This user has no status
    Thanks
    IIRC the units had to be coded to the car, a software download after fitting. One unit (HU-803?) cost the guy less than 200 inc vat, coding and labour.

If you want more bass fit a sub and upgrade the speakers. The stock amp is 450w rms, how much bass do you need? My V70 is totally capable of pain inducing volume but I don't listen to 'hip hop' and ££££e like that! I like music . . .

"Bring the noise!"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to v70torslanda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    IIRC the units had to be coded to the car, a software download after fitting. One unit (HU-803?) cost the guy less than 200 inc vat, coding and labour.
    ah i was worried they were, i've got to pop main stealer tomorrow to order some bits for him so get a price to get them swopped

If you want more bass fit a sub and upgrade the speakers. The stock amp is 450w rms, how much bass do you need? My V70 is totally capable of pain inducing volume but I don't listen to 'hip hop' and ££££e like that! I like music . . .
    thought the stock amp was 4 x 50rms, either way i am used to a bit more power than that lol. Not a fan of hip hop myself, nice bit of Prodigy to wake you up in the morning

BT's old install, not going anywhere near as mad with Bonny probably 2 x 12"

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The Volvo facia can be srewed into the console & holds the whole thing together better.

I had one of thoes single din units (with the pocket) which fell out every time I chose to accelerate. They're crap mate.

The Double din unit can hold two single din items (like a single din pocket which is much bigger than the one on the single facia).

Just my thought but you could re-sell the single unit.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thebadger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The Volvo facia can be srewed into the console & holds the whole thing together better.

I had one of thoes single din units (with the pocket) which fell out every time I chose to accelerate. They're crap mate.

The Double din unit can hold two single din items (like a single din pocket which is much bigger than the one on the single facia).

Just my thought but you could re-sell the single unit.
    thanks for the tip, i did pay a few £ more & made sure the one i've brought was an Autoleads facia not the very nasty ones on ebay. I might ask about the price for the Volvo double DIN one tomorrow anyway, just curious lol

Thanks
    this is the one i brought LINK

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Ah! I see you have different needs from I.

I can't do that kind of installation, I need my V70 to carry wardrobes and beds and bikes and stuff.

"Bring the noise!"

Thanks
    Ah! I see you have different needs from I.

I can't do that kind of installation, I need my V70 to carry wardrobes and beds and bikes and stuff.
    i'd still got a couple of inches boot space lol, as i say i'm not going any where near as mad with the S60

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Piccy...

Attachment 8353

Please excuse the stick on trim kit, but the facia is the perfect colour & mm perfect fitting.

Also you can put screws into the HAVAC unit down from the top to add extra solidity.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to thebadger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Also you can put screws into the HAVAC unit down from the top to add extra solidity.
    whats HAVAC? (sorry P2 newbie lol)

popped into the main stealer this morning. The radio needs software to remove it as well as pairing it to the next car, £2.37 to remove it & £37 to programme into the my old mans. I've ordered the single facia £12, antenna adaptor £3, wiring adaptor £5 & the £3 to remove the original so all in all not as expensive as i thought tbh

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Heater & Ventilation Control Unit. means that the whole thing will be solid & squeak free!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to thebadger For This Useful Post:

p fandango (Thursday 11th March 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Heat And Vent Control panel

EDIT: Bugger! Must learn to type faster!
    Last edited by v70torslanda; Thursday 11th March 2010 at 16:55.

"Bring the noise!"

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to v70torslanda For This Useful Post:

p fandango (Thursday 11th March 2010),thebadger (Thursday 11th March 2010)

Thanks
    Heater & Ventilation Control Unit. means that the whole thing will be solid & squeak free!
    ah that makes sense lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    you might need the pc 9-414 lead set too if your using the std amp, scroll down about half way

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/search_resul...y=12&go=submit

still got no night illumination on mine and the fan clock lights etc are still on on mine with just the radio switched on,( key pos 1) got a clarion head unit and fascia for mine to replace the std set so might get things right yet, lol, but the replacing unit needs two sets of pre outs to connect to the amp, mines just has one set but some rca y pieces should sort that

26. The Following User Says Thank You to dobbin For This Useful Post:

p fandango (Friday 12th March 2010)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dobbin View Post
    you might need the pc 9-414 lead set too if your using the std amp, scroll down about half way

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/search_resul...y=12&go=submit

still got no night illumination on mine and the fan clock lights etc are still on on mine with just the radio switched on,( key pos 1) got a clarion head unit and fascia for mine to replace the std set so might get things right yet, lol, but the replacing unit needs two sets of pre outs to connect to the amp, mines just has one set but some rca y pieces should sort that
    ah i thought i'd have to bypass the amp, i'll have to order one of those now thanks

the radio i've got has got 3 sets of RCA outs (front, rear & sub) so having the 4 into the factory amp is perfect for what i want

This user has no status

Thanks
    no idea what the sound is going to be like with out the std amp but what im getting one the dolby setting so far is real good, to my ears anyway, but ill try fitting the clarion unit in straight through the iso bypassing the amp 1st and see what the difference is, hoping that it sorts out the heater and clocks prob, and night illumination, if not ill be ordering that cable myself

Thread Information