Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Aftermarket suspension kits

What kits are people using? im considering changing my standard R setup for aftermarket stuff?

This user has no status
    Thanks

im on koni adjustable with 40mm lower springs..............

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Mine's on FK coilovers(Highsport)and about 45 mm lower as standerd.
    get in,shut-up and hold on.

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by walter leever View Post
    Mine's on FK coilovers(Highsport)and about 45 mm lower as standerd.
    But Walter, on that setting how do you manage to clear obstacles like dust and pieces of gravel???
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Lesjofors sport spring kit 40mm than standard....
    Part number 4595811
    Cheers Mark..........
    EBC DRILLED GROOVED DISCS. EBC GREEN STUFF PADS. AIR CON REMOVED. TWIN EXIT EXHAUST. BLACK MESH GRILLE.GREEN PAPER AIR FILTER. FRONT SPLITTER. POLY TOP BUSH.V70 REAR LAMPS
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist
    http://www.r2rc.co.uk/landing/index.htm

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatout Phil View Post
    But Walter, on that setting how do you manage to clear obstacles like dust and pieces of gravel???
    Real slow like a chav.

And looking far ahead.

walter
    get in,shut-up and hold on.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to walter leever For This Useful Post:

Flatout Phil (Tuesday 9th March 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi. These are what i went for on my 855

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=3839

Perfect, easy DIY fit... improved handling and look 100%!

J5
    It's a ROCKET PROPELLED ARMCHAIR, and I LOVE IT
    Current mods :ZTRONS cd/dvd touchscreen headunit, Clear side repeaters, Zenon effect headlamp bulbs, Equus turbo boost guage, Front strut brace, R-SPEC MBC, NGK Iridium 10 plugs, 40mm lowered springs, Powerflow 3' stainless steel cat back exhaust ending in a 4' outwardly rolled tailpipe ("Volvo's....... Theyre boxy, but theyre good")

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mhill53 View Post
    What kits are people using? im considering changing my standard R setup for aftermarket stuff?
    Ive got bilstien B4's, eibach springs 40mm, camber adjustment bolts, lower IPD rear anti roll bar and front strutbrace ....car handles lovely .

The 2 best items were the strut brace and the anti roll bar ...also got the suspension set up properly on a computerised 4 wheel alignment machine check here for a center close to youhttp://www.alignmycar.co.uk/

It makes so much difference getting it all set up correctly ...really transformed my car .

Rich
    1996 855 R
    1995 855 T5
    1968 Califorian Imp

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Clan998 For This Useful Post:

ANDY B (Sunday 14th March 2010)

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    I'm fitted the favourite setup of Koni FSD's and Eibach springs this weekend.

This user has no status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Clan998 View Post
    Ive got bilstien B4's, eibach springs 40mm, camber adjustment bolts, lower IPD rear anti roll bar and front strutbrace ....car handles lovely .

The 2 best items were the strut brace and the anti roll bar ...also got the suspension set up properly on a computerised 4 wheel alignment machine check here for a center close to youhttp://www.alignmycar.co.uk/

It makes so much difference getting it all set up correctly ...really transformed my car .

Rich
    how do u find the camber adjustment bolts........do u get abnormal wear on the tyres ?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5 stealth View Post
    how do u find the camber adjustment bolts........do u get abnormal wear on the tyres ?
    Ive just had the camber set up so I dont get abnormal wear ( I think its something like 0.50 degrees) ... but the bolts will alllow more camber adjustment ( something like 2.0 degree's ) when I take the car on track days ... make it turn in sharper . Although it turns in ok as it is at the moment

Then after the track day take it back and get the front camber reset . Its £15 per adjustment ... so not to expensive cheaper than new tyres ... I do a lot of motorway miles so not too keen on wearing the inside edges of my tyres.

Rich
    1996 855 R
    1995 855 T5
    1968 Califorian Imp

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Clan998 For This Useful Post:

t5 stealth (Tuesday 9th March 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    if you use a 40mm drop kit im guessing the R suspension is already dropped around 40mm over a standard t5? so will it sit the same height as with the original setup?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I believe the R was 20mm lower than the standard 850's so a 40mm drop will effectively give around a 20mm drop on an R

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    I thought the 850R had a 30 or 40mm drop over std. My 855R is riding about that at the moment anyway, and thats with std 850R suspension.

I've just bought some Eibach springs and will shortly be getting Bilstein B4s to go with them, along with the IPD ARBs when I can afford them - the 850R and T5-R had reasonable ARBs fitted as std so I'm going to see how it handles with the 850R ARBs before shelling out another £350 on the IPD ones.
    Currently - '96 850R auto

Previously - '97 S70 T5 manual, '98 V70R AWD auto, '98 V70R Auto in Nautic Blue Mica with LPG (went to Germany!), 1996 850R Auto, lots of various 940s, 960s and a crappy 850 2.0

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clan998 View Post
    Ive just had the camber set up so I dont get abnormal wear ( I think its something like 0.50 degrees) ... but the bolts will alllow more camber adjustment ( something like 2.0 degree's ) when I take the car on track days ... make it turn in sharper . Although it turns in ok as it is at the moment

Then after the track day take it back and get the front camber reset . Its £15 per adjustment ... so not to expensive cheaper than new tyres ... I do a lot of motorway miles so not too keen on wearing the inside edges of my tyres.

Rich
    How much are your laser alignment people charging - my local place in Bexleyheath wants £160 which I think sounds like a RIP off even if it is on a Hunter system - or is this the going rate? Anyone else, I'm not talking get tracking done at Kwik Fit, this is a full camber, toe in, caster and thrust angle alignment.
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatout Phil View Post
    How much are your laser alignment people charging - my local place in Bexleyheath wants £160 which I think sounds like a RIP off even if it is on a Hunter system - or is this the going rate? Anyone else, I'm not talking get tracking done at Kwik Fit, this is a full camber, toe in, caster and thrust angle alignment.
    Hi Phil

The first time I paid about £70 quid mate.

Do a quick search and find one close to you and give them a call.

I went to a place in Tonbridge on saturday to get mine checked after I put the rear ARB on and they charged me £52 to check and adjust all 4 wheels.

You get a print out showing toe in camber thrust angle aalignment etc .... your place does seem expensive in my experience , unless there is something else they are doing ?

Give us a call if you want a chat about it

Rich
    1996 855 R
    1995 855 T5
    1968 Califorian Imp

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Clan998 For This Useful Post:

Flatout Phil (Tuesday 16th March 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Guys

Not only is my car a bit of a shed, no offence Rob , but I'm kind of skint and can't justify spending hundreds on Koni FSD's or whatever. Can anyone recommend something cheap (like the Budgie) that will do the basic job?

Cheers

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    cheap way to get your car sorted:

Brand new OEM dampers, sports sprints, strut brace, Rear Roll Bar and alignment check.

That should be enough to keep you going on a budget.

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks for that I take it Rufe is the best bet for dampers?

Thread Information