Join Today

Thread: oil in pipeing

This user has no status

Thanks

oil in pipeing

hi all i got traces of oil in my pipe work from the turbo the big thick pipe on the top of the engine wot could cause this cheers

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    no thats fine, oil from the PCV (positive crank vent) is fed back into the air intake pipe before the turbo so it will go thru the boost piping

3. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

ikp_77 (Saturday 6th March 2010)

This user has no status

Thanks
    thanks again p fandgo i thought sumit was wrong with it cheers

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Out of interest if there was quite abit of oil could it be possible the pcv could need replacing?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to orse For This Useful Post:

ikp_77 (Tuesday 9th March 2010)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by orse View Post
    Out of interest if there was quite abit of oil could it be possible the pcv could need replacing?
    pcv been done mate a few mounth ago cheers

This user has no status
    Thanks
    As pedro said that's pretty normal. As long as your motor isn't using excessive amounts of oil I wouldn't worry. I rebuilt my lump a few years ago and my oil consumption went from a litre a fortnight to using nothing, still have oil in the pipes though ! (catch tank going in soon !)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nobananas For This Useful Post:

ikp_77 (Tuesday 9th March 2010)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nobananas View Post
    As pedro said that's pretty normal. As long as your motor isn't using excessive amounts of oil I wouldn't worry. I rebuilt my lump a few years ago and my oil consumption went from a litre a fortnight to using nothing, still have oil in the pipes though ! (catch tank going in soon !)
    cheers i thought the catch tank was part of the pvc system

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ikp_77 View Post
    cheers i thought the catch tank was part of the pvc system
    Not sure what is meant by 'catch tank', but if it's the black box that bolts to the front of the block under the inlet manifold then yes, its is part of the PCV system.

Easiest and more accurate way of checking if your PCV system is partially blocked (would never be fully blocked because you would have major oil leaks and massive oil consumption) is to warm your engine up to operating temperature then at idle on level ground, slightly remove your oil dipstick about 2 inches up the dipstick tube. If you see white/grey smoke blowing up past the dipstick handle then your PCV needs replacing ASAP.

Not replacing 'ALL' the PCV tubing and pipes including the black box is usually the cause of the dreaded rear main seal leaking.

850s and early 'non' ME7 V/S70s are about £70 for all the parts. Later ME7 engines are more...£155 to be exact due to the intake manifold having coolant running through it.

Above prices are for the parts only. I do have a few photos of doing the ME7 PCV system and am intending on doing a 'How to'. I just haven't got round to it yet as i have just moved. It's a pig of a job on the ME7 engines especially if a T5 or R engine, however the 850 and early V/S70s are relatively easy in comparison.

Hardest part of the job on the ME7 is getting the right hand coolant pipe off (access is difficult) and also getting the manifold off to get to the throttle body. Allow a whole day and plenty of light.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thread Information