Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts

& yet another one

as i posted before my old man was on the look out for a S60 D5, & today we got one. We've looked at a few & not local either but all were no where near what we were after. Looking thru the Autotrader lastnight & one turned up in the higher end of his price range but only 5 miles away, bit more investigation & it turned out that it was at the dealership my cousin manages. Quick phone call & we'd got all the inside info on it & decided to have a look. Has had a bit of paint but its a 2003 with tonnes of extra's (satnav, tv, phone, speedball gear-lever, electric drivers seat, heated seats) & 12monthes MOT. Has got an issue with the indicators arrow isn't working on the dash & the clock is counting down resembling a bomb countdown, there sorting both out & hopefully pick it up Wednesday

needs a new armrest cover, speedball knob & passenger door window rubber, but for £3.5K i don't think you can moan

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

cornclose (Saturday 6th March 2010),thebadger (Saturday 6th March 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Looks tidy, I'd pay £3.5k for it in that nick!

The issues on the dash sound like a SW issue, though the indicator bulb is a replaceable bulb in some early models, & an LED in later ones IIRC.

The ball for the stick could be sourced from Rufe I guess & the arm rest off ebay (replacement leather or the door/cover part).

Hope he enjoys it!

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thebadger For This Useful Post:

cornclose (Saturday 6th March 2010),p fandango (Saturday 6th March 2010)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thebadger View Post
    Looks tidy, I'd pay £3.5k for it in that nick!

The issues on the dash sound like a SW issue, though the indicator bulb is a replaceable bulb in some early models, & an LED in later ones IIRC.

The ball for the stick could be sourced from Rufe I guess & the arm rest off ebay (replacement leather or the door/cover part).

Hope he enjoys it!
    its certainly alot better than the others we've looked at, a year newer with more extras & they've all had some paintwork damage on them

i've no idea about the clock which is why we made sure they were going to sort that, the indicators they think is down to a problem with old wiring for a towbar. I was concerned it was the start of the instrument cluster failing

th glovebox is the actual door, the whole lot is missing so think have a word with Oliver at TMS. He's not overly keen on the spaceball (coming from an auto) so we're swopping & i'll have it on Bonny

thanks for the comments, once he starts saving at the pump he'll be happy enough. Having had the Saab for 8years he's a bit worried about getting a new motor but it looks well enough (fingers crossed)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

cornclose (Saturday 6th March 2010),Spee (Saturday 6th March 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Not that many problems really then!

I'd check it's not a SW issue on the clock. Sounds it, or the dial unit could be rotten.

They do also appear on ebay, but it's deffo a dealer fix to swap them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thebadger For This Useful Post:

cornclose (Saturday 6th March 2010)

Thanks
    Not that many problems really then!

I'd check it's not a SW issue on the clock. Sounds it, or the dial unit could be rotten.

They do also appear on ebay, but it's deffo a dealer fix to swap them.
    no its not bad, just needs a bit of time & TLC. We've left the dials in clock & indicators in there hands to sort, we're quite happy to sort the other niggles.

i'm more excited about getting me spaceball now lol

10. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

cornclose (Saturday 6th March 2010)

Thanks
    done a bit of research & it looks like the clock fast forwarding & the indicator arrows not working is a sign of the DIM (drivers information module) fault, which needs the dealer to software match the new circuit board even if you fit a secondhand one. Going to phone up my cousin tomorrow who's manager of the car sales place & point it out, he wasn't happy about dropping the price so much anyway so don't think he'll be impressed that this problem is going to cost so much, we shall see what happens

12. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

thebadger (Saturday 6th March 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    That car needs a new set of clocks. It has a broken circuit board inside the instrument cluster. if you need to prove this then slap the top of the instrument cluster while the car is running.This stops the clock. You will also find the main beam indicator and that not all the warning lights in the right hand cluster are functioning all the time. The seat belt chime probably isn't working either. Volvo supply the clocks exchange and won't sell you any bits to repair them.

BBA-Reman can recondition/repair them for considerably less (Rufe quoted me the thick end of six hundred quid) and turn them round in 2-3 working days.

There being no loyalty or any such thing as 'friends' in the motor trade be sure that this is taken care of before you hand over the dosh cos it sure as sh*t won't be covered by any warranty once the car's sitting on your drive.

luv'n'stuff

J

"Sgt. Butterman? Little hand says it's time to rock'n'roll!"
    "Bring the noise!"

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to v70torslanda For This Useful Post:

Al115 (Sunday 1st August 2010),p fandango (Sunday 7th March 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks

"Bring the noise!"

16. The Following User Says Thank You to v70torslanda For This Useful Post:

p fandango (Sunday 7th March 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Guessed it might be something expensive being dead or shot.

I can only guess the expected costs involved in doing the replacement.

I'd assume it will have to be picked up by the dealership as I think a lot of the computer stuff runs off the DIM.

Hope your cousin is reasonable about it. (and not too peeved at the costs involved!)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to thebadger For This Useful Post:

p fandango (Sunday 7th March 2010)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by v70torslanda View Post
    That car needs a new set of clocks. It has a broken circuit board inside the instrument cluster. if you need to prove this then slap the top of the instrument cluster while the car is running.This stops the clock. You will also find the main beam indicator and that not all the warning lights in the right hand cluster are functioning all the time. The seat belt chime probably isn't working either. Volvo supply the clocks exchange and won't sell you any bits to repair them.

BBA-Reman can recondition/repair them for considerably less (Rufe quoted me the thick end of six hundred quid) and turn them round in 2-3 working days.

There being no loyalty or any such thing as 'friends' in the motor trade be sure that this is taken care of before you hand over the dosh cos it sure as sh*t won't be covered by any warranty once the car's sitting on your drive.
    cheers mate, it must be at the start of failing because everything else other than the indicators & clock are still working. We haven't even handed over a deposit as its family so see what they say later today (why am i awake at 2am lol)

they've got a good reputation so sure they'll do the proper thing & not back out of the sale, we haven't even handed over a deposit yet

my old man works on delicate circuit boards repairing mobile phones so thinking whether it could be worth looking at ourselves if they knock another £200 off

Thanks
    Guessed it might be something expensive being dead or shot.

I can only guess the expected costs involved in doing the replacement.

I'd assume it will have to be picked up by the dealership as I think a lot of the computer stuff runs off the DIM.
    yeh if its got to be new dials/DIM unit then yeh its going to be dear to get it reprogramed & matched to the car from the main stealer. As i said in the above post my old man is good with a soldering & circuits so thinking about taking it out & looking at possibly fixing it ourselfs (only my idea, haven't suggested it to my old man yet & its his car anyway so might want them to do it all incase he can't fix it)

Hope your cousin is reasonable about it. (and not too peeved at the costs involved!)
    lol cheers mate. We haven't handed any money over yet so if they do back out then we haven't lost anything, he's from my dads side of the family so can't see them backing out because he'll have his dad to answer too lol. He was already quite peeved that we wouldn't move on the price we wanted to pay when talking money. There covered by quite a good warranty company so might be able to claim the costs thru them, my bro brought a 306 off them (many years ago) & the cat went not long after buying it & they covered the full costs

we shall see

Thanks
    well he went & picked the car up this afternoon & they said they'd managed to sort the indicators but no luck with the clock, been out playing all afternoon/evening & the clock has been fine as well (we think they didn't know how to set it lol). We did think there was an issue with the full beam not latching on would only flash, then we realised the headlights weren't on it was on DRL's lol. Needs a very good clean, the CD player is knackered & the few bits i've already mentioned but i'm passing TMS on the way to work tomorrow so will pop in to see Oliver

still got a Saab in the way at the minute but hopefully we'll move it tomorrow to get pics of Bonny & Egbert together

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Wots' the SAAB?

"Bring the noise!"

Thanks
    Wots' the SAAB?
    2001 9-3 Aero convertible, auto. Not sure what price he's after yet but i'll put a thread once everythings sorted

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    That Saab looks tidy - isn't that the model that torque steers like a Mofo or is that just the Viggen?

Those redtop Saab engines are reputedly quite good for tuning too i hear

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

25. The Following User Says Thank You to t5_monkey For This Useful Post:

p fandango (Wednesday 10th March 2010)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
    That Saab looks tidy - isn't that the model that torque steers like a Mofo or is that just the Viggen?

Those redtop Saab engines are reputedly quite good for tuning too i hear
    Thanks it is a lovely car, but he's had it 8years now so bored & wants a change. I think the Viggen where the one for the torque steer, its an auto so that smoothes the power delivery out anyway. Even the 600bhp Pikes Peak Saab uses a standard block so yes they are very strong

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Note to self:

'Step away from the Saab!'

Momma like!

"Bring the noise!"

28. The Following User Says Thank You to v70torslanda For This Useful Post:

p fandango (Wednesday 10th March 2010)

Thanks
    Note to self:

'Step away from the Saab!'

Momma like!
    he's had Saab's for about 25years now & not may models he hasn't had (96, 900, 9000, 9-5 etc). This is the first time he's ventured away to another manufacture, was very worried at first but seems to have got used to the controls of the S60 now & a bit more comfortable in it

the old weekend toy, got rid of it tho becuase it was getting very little use

Thanks

Thanks
    tried to swop over the gear levers today as my old man doesn't like the Spaceball, but it turns out the ends of the cables are different & we didn't feel like changing them as well, shame but never mind

Thread Information