Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Flatout Phil View Post
    I think I can do the rear bar, but the front on the 850 looks more than a man with no garage and only axle stands and a trolley jack on his own could sensibly manage. So I have the bars - but...
    Can't seem to find anyone willing to fit front for less than about £250!!! So any ideas welcomed - SE London/North Kent area would be good.
    Those of you familiar with this will know it involves dropping rear of subframe, steering rack, etc etc.
    FYI eventually had a very pleasant garage do the job for me and they charged for 2 hours to do both front and rear - so I was happy with that as grovelling in the gravel is just not my scene these (rainy) days. So nice not to have to DIY sometimes.

Followed Russ (RT) advice and did both.

And what a difference...
    Last edited by Flatout Phil; Sunday 9th May 2010 at 19:01.
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    FYI eventually had a very pleasant garage do the job for me and they charged for 2 hours to do both front and rear - so I was happy with that as grovelling in the gravel is just not my scene these (rainy) days. So nice not to have to DIY sometimes.

And what a difference...
    C'mon Phil... this is your chance to be Jeremy clarkson telling us cornering is like stroking a swedish volleyball champion etc....

give us some alliterations... paint a picture! what's it like to drive now ?

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
    C'mon Phil... this is your chance to be Jeremy clarkson telling us cornering is like stroking a swedish volleyball champion etc....

give us some alliterations... paint a picture! what's it like to drive now ?
    I can only that it feels like it has a large road-magnet fitted to the floorpan, and has lost half a ton. Point and shoot - GTi. You don't steer round corners, you simply think round them. Just when you think it can't go any faster round a curve, it does.
    In a sprint it pours the power flat into the tarmac, just addictive.

The best money I have ever spent on that car.

Out of curiosity, the boost gauge goes about an eigth of an inch into the black - what boost pressure would you reckon that is?
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Flatout Phil For This Useful Post:

t5_monkey (Sunday 9th May 2010)

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    I can only that it feels like it has a large road-magnet fitted to the floorpan, and has lost half a ton. Point and shoot - GTi. You don't steer round corners, you simply think round them. Just when you think it can't go any faster round a curve, it does.
    In a sprint it pours the power flat into the tarmac, just addictive.

The best money I have ever spent on that car.

Out of curiosity, the boost gauge goes about an eigth of an inch into the black - what boost pressure would you reckon that is?
    The Rollbar upgrade is a brilliant one... best one for mine too.. although eventually you'll start thinking how you need stiffer bushes and new dampers...

As for boost - I wouldn't have a clue, I don't even have a boost gauge

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    The end of the white bar on a standard gauge is supposed to be 1 bar (14.7psi). So yours could be boosting to around 16-17psi
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

Flatout Phil (Monday 10th May 2010)

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    The Rollbar upgrade is a brilliant one... best one for mine too.. although eventually you'll start thinking how you need stiffer bushes and new dampers...

As for boost - I wouldn't have a clue, I don't even have a boost gauge
    Funny you should say that. I have reverted to original bushing on the front end because of Powerflex wishbone bushes which lasted about two thousand miles. Whilst they worked were very good.

I am on the cusp of fitting Bilstein B4 on the front, but am wavering as to whether to do a Koni on each corner as I suspect the Nivos are now getting shagged (as seems to happen at about this age). But would require new rear top mounts and rear springs, so humming and harring. The appeal of Koni is that they can be set for everyday use and track use (which is not going to be happening that often) - that said, when I had adjustables on other cars, they tended to get left on one setting.

But it is undoubtedly a fact of life that whenever we think we have arrived - we soon find we have not. Probably good unless you are a Buddhist.
    KISS Rs

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bomb192uk View Post
    The end of the white bar on a standard gauge is supposed to be 1 bar (14.7psi). So yours could be boosting to around 16-17psi
    Is that pushing the limits a bit or sustainable? I recall from my Battle Picture Weekly (anyone else remember that one) reading days, that pilots would push their Merlins 'through the gate' (using overboost) - but engines would need a rebuild if this were done for more than five miutes. DOn't fancy a rebuild.
    KISS Rs

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Is that pushing the limits a bit or sustainable? I recall from my Battle Picture Weekly (anyone else remember that one) reading days, that pilots would push their Merlins 'through the gate' (using overboost) - but engines would need a rebuild if this were done for more than five miutes. Don't fancy a rebuild.
    It should be ok as long as the boost is controlled in the lower rev range (below 3k) to prevent bending a rod. And as long as the fuelling is matched to the boost, but tis all depends on how the remap was set up in the first instance. Of course it may impact on the lifespan of the engine as it is working harder than it was originally designed programmed to.

People on here have run more boost than that before (someone used to run 19psi, can't remember who) so your not on the limit.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Is that pushing the limits a bit or sustainable? I recall from my Battle Picture Weekly (anyone else remember that one) reading days, that pilots would push their Merlins 'through the gate' (using overboost) - but engines would need a rebuild if this were done for more than five miutes. DOn't fancy a rebuild.
    you'll be fine on that pressure... My late Grandad was head of non destructive testing at Rolls Royce Derby during the War, so he'd sign off on the Merlin engines. They had a lot of problems with low quality metals, old technology and time pressure - and in combat your better off with a shagged engine than a busted plane and dead pilot so they ran those engines ragged imagine it the equivalent of doing a trackday every day in your car...

I'm no expert but apparently it's to do with boost spikes etc... that can cause problems so making sure your boost control solenoid and actuator are tip top is the main thing.

They put a merlin engine into a Vickers tank with the 2 stage supercharger, so it was running 1500bhp - apparently it was very quick... until it blew the tracks off the wheels
    Last edited by t5_monkey; Monday 10th May 2010 at 09:25.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to t5_monkey For This Useful Post:

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    I should add that whilst no car should ever feel too quick, the quickness that this one now has makes me feel as if I should start going to confession...
    KISS Rs

This user has no status
    Thanks

And what a difference...
    Great news Phil i am glad you took the advise on

You have a pm
    Russ
    LOOK at our project :
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16301
    591 BHP 524 Ftlbs torque so far
    The Most Powerful T5 in the UK

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RT MECHANICS View Post
    Great news Phil i am glad you took the advise on

You have a pm
    Russ
    Thanks Russ, Spotted it - you have one back!
    KISS Rs

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    I should add that whilst no car should ever feel too quick, the quickness that this one now has makes me feel as if I should start going to confession...
    Do you walk around your car tutting and gently whispering...(in a Phil Mitchel voice)

"your a bad little girl, oh yes you are... you know your bad you filthy little ****... yeah that's right daddy's gonna drive you today! drive you real good - just like you want... don't deny you love it you little minx!"

before turning the ignition key and howling at the moon before you drive off the driveway ?

If you don't .... you should

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks

Wink

Do you walk around your car tutting and gently whispering...(in a Phil Mitchel voice)

"your a bad little girl, oh yes you are... you know your bad you filthy little ****... yeah that's right daddy's gonna drive you today! drive you real good - just like you want... don't deny you love it you little minx!"

before turning the ignition key and howling at the moon before you drive off the driveway ?

If you don't .... you should
    Funnily enough... I'll be in the News of the World next. Along with the other Phil and his trolley jack.
    KISS Rs

This user has no status
    Thanks
    you'll be fine on that pressure... My late Grandad was head of non destructive testing at Rolls Royce Derby during the War, so he'd sign off on the Merlin engines. They had a lot of problems with low quality metals, old technology and time pressure - and in combat your better off with a shagged engine than a busted plane and dead pilot so they ran those engines ragged imagine it the equivalent of doing a trackday every day in your car...

I'm no expert but apparently it's to do with boost spikes etc... that can cause problems so making sure your boost control solenoid and actuator are tip top is the main thing.

They put a merlin engine into a Vickers tank with the 2 stage supercharger, so it was running 1500bhp - apparently it was very quick... until it blew the tracks off the wheels
    What an amazing job - I bet he had some great stories to tell!

I really like these sort of anecdotes in posts.

Cheers
    Volvo 855 2.5 10v CD

Its got everything except a turbo - boo hoo...

Thread Information