Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    wanting to get busy with my
    twins, twin zx9r's that is
    Thanks

V70 T5 Short Oval Racer

my track car arrived today in the form of a 97 v70 T5, over the next few weeks i shall be turning it into a track car for short oval racing, i shall post pics as the build goes on and some mods that are made that differ from normal track / road car.

i shall also be seeking a little advice here and there with the build.

first couple of questions i have are as the race will last on average 5 minutes in length (10 laps) could i run the car without an intercooler as the radiators up front and intercooler will be removed to be replaced with a water tank on bulkhead for cooling and intercooler is to large to relocate inside car. but was going to relocate air flow meter inside car as will stand less chance of being damaged there. (all windows will be removed from car)

and secondly is anyone on here a whizz at wiring as in the ecu's as i want to reduce the engine to the least amount of wires possable to keep it running and put it on to switch's .
    because it just had to be done

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    sounds an interesting project, defo keep us updated as you go along with the project

as for the intercooler it'll work fine witout one, but you will lose some BHP. Volvo gained 31bhp by fitting an intercooler to the B21FT engine. Also the ECU wiring is a nightmare, i'm trying to move mine to inside the car but got 34wires i'd need to extend so not sure i'm going to bother

Thanks
    will look into ecu when i get that far but i'll be removing unused wires so hope have no where near 34 wires to extend. i shall be re locating mine inside also on bulkhead as all dash is removed aswell.

bummer about intercooler loosing 31 bhp but think a fully stripped out car with what have been saved in weight should compensate a little for power loss. and might try and get a smaller intercooler that can fit on bulkhead if it helps. due to cars purpose on track all out bhp is not an issue as will only use 1st and 2nd gear and traction be more of an issue when it goes to trent on mud for its first outing
    Last edited by streaky744; Tuesday 2nd March 2010 at 12:54.

Thanks
    removed the exhaust today but have left down pipe and cat at the moment.

question i have is

there is a lamba sensor pre cat and a lamba sensor in the cat. if i remove the cat and add a straight pipe with a thread hole for second lamba to go in will it still read properly as in the affect of a de cat pipe if connect a box to this pipe?

kinda like sound of car with no box's but not sure it helps having no back pressure.

verdict from those in the know be kindly accepted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by streaky744 View Post
    will look into ecu when i get that far but i'll be removing unused wires so hope have no where near 34 wires to extend. i shall be re locating mine inside also on bulkhead as all dash is removed aswell.
    i've already removed all the un-needed wires myself like the BCS, i've probably got a few more wires that can go but not many

bummer about intercooler loosing 31 bhp but think a fully stripped out car with what have been saved in weight should compensate a little for power loss. and might try and get a smaller intercooler that can fit on bulkhead if it helps. due to cars purpose on track all out bhp is not an issue as will only use 1st and 2nd gear and traction be more of an issue when it goes to trent on mud for its first outing
    the weight will defo make up for it, but every little helps lol. I've removed 278.9kg from mine so far

removed the exhaust today but have left down pipe and cat at the moment.

question i have is

there is a lamba sensor pre cat and a lamba sensor in the cat. if i remove the cat and add a straight pipe with a thread hole for second lamba to go in will it still read properly as in the affect of a de cat pipe if connect a box to this pipe?

kinda like sound of car with no box's but not sure it helps having no back pressure.

verdict from those in the know be kindly accepted
    what i have seen done is spacer the 2nd lamba sensor so its out of the exhaust stream so doesn't read the higher emmissions

& no you don't need back pressure for a turbo

Thanks
    thanks for the info, consider the cat history and just a straight piece of pipe as an exhaust.

weight reduction should well exceed what you have removed as well as all interior, door internals, windows also add i shall be removing bumpers, orginal fuel tank (small saftey tank fits inside car), all lights, inner arch's , every wire thats not needed, air con unit and pump of engine, alternator and power steering pump as again these not needed on short oval.

but saftey gear adds some wieght back into the car but not a great deal.

what is BCS by the way?

sorry to sound dumb but only raced carbed vehicles or single point injection before which have been easy to sort wiring as 1st year full injection been allowed where i race and a turbo.

Thanks
    thanks for the info, consider the cat history and just a straight piece of pipe as an exhaust.

weight reduction should well exceed what you have removed as well as all interior, door internals, windows also add i shall be removing bumpers, orginal fuel tank (small saftey tank fits inside car), all lights, inner arch's , every wire thats not needed, air con unit and pump of engine, alternator and power steering pump as again these not needed on short oval.

but saftey gear adds some wieght back into the car but not a great deal.

what is BCS by the way?

sorry to sound dumb but only raced carbed vehicles or single point injection before which have been easy to sort wiring as 1st year full injection been allowed where i race and a turbo.
    BCS is boost control solenoid. Click the 850 pic in my sig, i've not got much left on mine either lol

Thanks
    please feed my brain with more of this lovely info as in

boost control solenoid? where is it how does it work ? and removing wiring does what?

also what is PCV i see pop up all over the place on here?

and are you free anytime to come help with wiring nightmare lol

Thanks
    please feed my brain with more of this lovely info as in

boost control solenoid? where is it how does it work ? and removing wiring does what?

also what is PCV i see pop up all over the place on here?

and are you free anytime to come help with wiring nightmare lol
    the boost control solenoid is bolted onto the side of the airbox, little black valve with 3 pipes & 2 wires going to it. On T-5's the actuator is set at a low pressure & the ECU then controls the valve to bleed air away from the actuator to raise the boost pressure to what it wants. Obviously you'll need either a MBC (manual boost controller) or EBC (electric boost controller) so you can adjust the boost to what you want

PCV is the positive crankcase ventilation valve, its a black canistor hidden away under the inlet manifold which has several breather pipes going to it, it then drains the oil back into the system then feeds the fumes back into the air intake (the thick pipe just before the turbo). I'm looking at removing it & running just the oil catch tank myself

i'm afraid i'm still trying to find enough time to finish BT at the minute, she's got to get back on the strip this year

This user has no status
    Thanks

Smile

So your stripping my poor car already!

Good luck

Thanks
    yep started stripping it saturday but only did a bit. will be doing more this week.

car became cheaper as found total of £4.61p in it so far and the second remote fob was under the centre console.

first outing it will get is a funday at trent raceway (13th june) and as its non contact (or mean't to be) will be running radiator and intercooler in orginal postion, but going to fabricate a steel slam panel for strength.

to the ones in the know can the turbo be played with so boost comes in lower down or does this invole a ecu remap? sorry to sound thick but again have never played with turbo engines

Thanks
    to the ones in the know can the turbo be played with so boost comes in lower down or does this invole a ecu remap? sorry to sound thick but again have never played with turbo engines
    an MBC brings the boost in alot quicker, & normally only £15-20

Thanks
    where do i get a MBC from and does bringing boost in earlier cause any damage if run like it all time for short periods during racing as long as warmed up and cooled down after running flat out?

was thinking of putting a dump valve on it also mainly for the noise factor at track. or would this add to the lag factor?
    Last edited by streaky744; Sunday 7th March 2010 at 20:22.

Thanks
    where do i get a MBC from and does bringing boost in earlier cause any damage if run like it all time for short periods during racing as long as warmed up and cooled down after running flat out?

was thinking of putting a dump valve on it also mainly for the noise factor at track. or would this add to the lag factor?
    you can get MBC's from ebay, make sure they are MBC's & not bleed valves (MBC has 2 terminals, bleed valve normally has 3). I can't see it causing any problems, the valve only consists of a ball bearing & a spring so the heat shouldn't affect it

i've never used a dump valve so no idea how it affects the turbo. I run without a recirc or dump valve which is supposed to slow up the turbo as it stalls between gear changes but made no difference on mine

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Your problem with playing with an MBC is that you cant really road test it first. Do you get warmup laps?

Wondered where the other fob went

Thanks
    don't get warm up laps so going to leave boost as it is.

next question is can i just make a blanking plate to put over the re curc valve or is there something inside that means a proper forge plate is needed?

Thanks
    few pics of the strip down so far

for the bin

and can this part be removed as in place where might gethit when radiator etc is removed later in year when it goes in full contact race

trying hard to look busy!
    Thanks
    i notice you're binning a lot of stuff. don't suppose that includes the air guide that goes in middle of bumper. i might have a use for one of them.

Thanks
    which air guide do you mean? if it is the one in the bumper it went to scrapyard when weighed an old car in.

lots more to come out of car yet, as many wires as poss and there is loads, windows, all door internals, inner arches, orginal fuel tank, and all engine bay to de clutter as well.

then start adding saftey eqipment,

Some people hate to see you
    doing well. They are losers...
    Thanks
    mr fandango is your friend when it comes to stripping a T5....

21. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulZX For This Useful Post:

p fandango (Sunday 21st March 2010)

Thread Information