This user has no status

Thanks
    yep what a muppet!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fireplums
    yep what a muppet!
    LOL

Just for your information the turbo is mounted (has to be) on the exhaust mainifold at the back of the engine
    SAM ECU
    Custom Super 60 18T Turbo With Uprated 300/70 W/G
    Blitz Dual SBC Boost Controller
    Blue Injectors
    NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
    Custom 1 Box 3" Turbo-Back Exhaust
    TurboXS Type R-HFL
    K&N Style Cone Filter With Cold Feed
    87 Deg Stat
    Full Poly Bushed
    Custom 60mm Drop Suspension
    Strut Brace
    18" Shadow Chrome Pegs
    305mm Drilled Brembo's With Ferodo DS Pads
    6000k HID Kit
    Flat Areo Style Wipers

See All The Pics Of SAM Here

This user has no status
    Thanks
    took the car for another drive tonight. notice the problem start when the turbo guage at half way of the white. Therefore, it is not base on over 3000rpm or not. It is depense on how soon it will reach half of the white. I also notice there is oil below the big pipe going into the turbo (not sure what that is I think I read somewhere it is something like a bleed valve) Not sure if my problem cause by oil leak from there.
    Anyway, I will try to check the electric valve and intercooler hose as suggested by Steve.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by edwingsiu
    took the car for another drive tonight. notice the problem start when the turbo guage at half way of the white. Therefore, it is not base on over 3000rpm or not. It is depense on how soon it will reach half of the white. I also notice there is oil below the big pipe going into the turbo (not sure what that is I think I read somewhere it is something like a bleed valve) Not sure if my problem cause by oil leak from there.
    Anyway, I will try to check the electric valve and intercooler hose as suggested by Steve.
    What this hose that in this pic ?

The 2 pipes you see going to it are the already mentioned Crank Case Oil Separator Canistor which is housed under the intake manifoid. These have a habit of getting blocked and end up throwing oil into the intake system.

And just for the other he means the BCS when he mentioned the electric valve
    SAM ECU
    Blue Injectors
    NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
    TurboXS Type R-HFL
    87 Deg Stat
    Full Poly Bushed
    Strut Brace
    18" Shadow Chrome Pegs
    6000k HID Kit
    Flat Areo Style Wipers

This user has no status
    Thanks
    sorry, this is not what i am talking about. it is the big metal pipe going from the front of the vehicle to the turbo (next to the wastgate actuator) and right below the end of the pipe there is some kind of valve which can be remove as i saw it from somewhere before someone took it out and seal the hole with a metal plate and made a holeon the big hose and put something in that hole. I know you also have it on your your car as well as I saw the picture you posted before. you know that big thing like a bicycle horn. Anyway, it might be oil came out from the hose as it wasn't that tight. Sorry, I am not a machanic to explain it to you in a proper way.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i think it is a dump valve

Casual poster 15 years on!
    Thanks
    Turbo diagram

B5234 engine diagram (n/a volvo 5 pot)

How a turbo works:

What Is a Turbocharger?
    Turbochargers are a type of forced induction system. They compress the air flowing into the engine (see How Car Engines Work for a description of airflow in a normal engine). The advantage of compressing the air is that it lets the engine squeeze more air into a cylinder, and more air means that more fuel can be added. Therefore, you get more power from each explosion in each cylinder. A turbocharged engine produces more power overall than the same engine without the charging. This can significantly improve the power-to-weight ratio for the engine (see How Horsepower Works for details).

In order to achieve this boost, the turbocharger uses the exhaust flow from the engine to spin a turbine, which in turn spins an air pump. The turbine in the turbocharger spins at speeds of up to 150,000 rotations per minute (rpm) -- that's about 30 times faster than most car engines can go. And since it is hooked up to the exhaust, the temperatures in the turbine are also very high.

Turbochargers allow an engine to burn more fuel and air by packing more into the existing cylinders. The typical boost provided by a turbocharger is 6 to 8 pounds per square inch (psi). Since normal atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psi at sea level, you can see that you are getting about 50 percent more air into the engine. Therefore, you would expect to get 50 percent more power. It's not perfectly efficient, so you might get a 30- to 40-percent improvement instead.

One cause of the inefficiency comes from the fact that the power to spin the turbine is not free. Having a turbine in the exhaust flow increases the restriction in the exhaust. This means that on the exhaust stroke, the engine has to push against a higher back-pressure. This subtracts a little bit of power from the cylinders that are firing at the same time.

My TWITTER username

This user has no status

Thanks
    sorry, this is not what i am talking about. it is the big metal pipe going from the front of the vehicle to the turbo (next to the wastgate actuator) and right below the end of the pipe there is some kind of valve which can be remove as i saw it from somewhere before someone took it out and seal the hole with a metal plate and made a holeon the big hose and put something in that hole. I know you also have it on your your car as well as I saw the picture you posted before. you know that big thing like a bicycle horn. Anyway, it might be oil came out from the hose as it wasn't that tight. Sorry, I am not a machanic to explain it to you in a proper way.
    Ahh that the CBV. I've removed mine and fitted a BOV and pul a blanking plate where the CBV was.

BOV

Last edited by Bracer; Wednesday 24th November 2004 at 18:24.
    SAM ECU
    Blue Injectors
    NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
    TurboXS Type R-HFL
    87 Deg Stat
    Full Poly Bushed
    Strut Brace
    18" Shadow Chrome Pegs
    6000k HID Kit
    Flat Areo Style Wipers

This user has no status
    Thanks
    yes, CBV. what is it stand for anyway. yes it has oil but doesn't look like is new. therfore not sure if it was leaking or from the hose. if it was the CBV, was it a reason of the problem i have?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy
    Turbo diagram

B5234 engine diagram (n/a volvo 5 pot)

How a turbo works:

What Is a Turbocharger?
    Turbochargers are a type of forced induction system. They compress the air flowing into the engine (see How Car Engines Work for a description of airflow in a normal engine). The advantage of compressing the air is that it lets the engine squeeze more air into a cylinder, and more air means that more fuel can be added. Therefore, you get more power from each explosion in each cylinder. A turbocharged engine produces more power overall than the same engine without the charging. This can significantly improve the power-to-weight ratio for the engine (see How Horsepower Works for details).

In order to achieve this boost, the turbocharger uses the exhaust flow from the engine to spin a turbine, which in turn spins an air pump. The turbine in the turbocharger spins at speeds of up to 150,000 rotations per minute (rpm) -- that's about 30 times faster than most car engines can go. And since it is hooked up to the exhaust, the temperatures in the turbine are also very high.

Turbochargers allow an engine to burn more fuel and air by packing more into the existing cylinders. The typical boost provided by a turbocharger is 6 to 8 pounds per square inch (psi). Since normal atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psi at sea level, you can see that you are getting about 50 percent more air into the engine. Therefore, you would expect to get 50 percent more power. It's not perfectly efficient, so you might get a 30- to 40-percent improvement instead.

One cause of the inefficiency comes from the fact that the power to spin the turbine is not free. Having a turbine in the exhaust flow increases the restriction in the exhaust. This means that on the exhaust stroke, the engine has to push against a higher back-pressure. This subtracts a little bit of power from the cylinders that are firing at the same time.

very impress!!! I will study it and try to understand it more. thanks

This user has no status

Thanks
    yes, CBV. what is it stand for anyway. yes it has oil but doesn't look like is new. therfore not sure if it was leaking or from the hose. if it was the CBV, was it a reason of the problem i have?
    Circulating (as in Re-Circulating)

Blowoff

Valve

CBV

And a oil build up there can be due to a few things but the most common is, a blocked CBS as explained earlier.

Or a leaking Oil filler cap gasket, the oil runs along the head and then backward and runs right down onto the turbo.

Or the oil feed seals could be leaking.

I recomend you take a closer look to see if you can pip point the source.
    SAM ECU
    Blue Injectors
    NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
    TurboXS Type R-HFL
    87 Deg Stat
    Full Poly Bushed
    Strut Brace
    18" Shadow Chrome Pegs
    6000k HID Kit
    Flat Areo Style Wipers

This user has no status

Thanks
    And did you see this

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/show...p?t=273&page=2

Firstly hello to AdamH and eveyone else.

edwingsiu I had a similar prob with my 855 and it turn out to be a blocked Cat. Ripped its guts out and bobs your uncless if flew till I blew the Turbo to bits.
    SAM ECU
    Blue Injectors
    NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
    TurboXS Type R-HFL
    87 Deg Stat
    Full Poly Bushed
    Strut Brace
    18" Shadow Chrome Pegs
    6000k HID Kit
    Flat Areo Style Wipers

This user has no status
    Thanks
    got it. i am trying to ask him for more details. i think by tomorrow, i will have a better idea. by the way, can my car run without a cat since a new cat is very expensive in hong kong.

Pedro Fandango
    This user has no status
    can my car run without a cat since a new cat is very expensive in hong kong.
    yep, car will run fine without a cat (& gain power) but check on the laws over there for legality

This user has no status
    Thanks
    ok. thx. i will remove the cat and reinstall it when it's due for government inspection.
    Last edited by edwingsiu; Wednesday 24th November 2004 at 20:13.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    There is loads of general stuff you can learn from the automotive section of
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/

It is packed with useful info on everything from turbochargers

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

to stuff that will bend your head

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automa...ansmission.htm
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dave850R
    There is loads of general stuff you can learn from the automotive section of
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/

It is packed with useful info on everything from turbochargers

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

to stuff that will bend your head

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automa...ansmission.htm
    Very good site. thanks mate!!! by the way, i will try yo get the cat remove today and see how it goes. any objections?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Very good site. thanks mate!!! by the way, i will try yo get the cat remove today and see how it goes. any objections?

Nope go and Kick that Cat my son
    SAM ECU
    Blue Injectors
    NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
    TurboXS Type R-HFL
    87 Deg Stat
    Full Poly Bushed
    Strut Brace
    18" Shadow Chrome Pegs
    6000k HID Kit
    Flat Areo Style Wipers

This user has no status
    Thanks

got the cat removed today

Removed the cat today and found no difference except before the rpm will goes up faster instead of stay at the same rpm . Re chk all the hoses today and everything seems to be in good order. I am pretty sure now the problem come when my turbo guage hit about half way of the white which i assume it is about 10psi. I started to think if ecu cut the fuel when it hit 10psi. My machanic thinks it might be the fuel pump is not running well or something wrong with the throttle body. Since I don't have any error code and I don't think it is air flow sensor or the idel control. Bracer suggested it might be the electric valve and I don't think it is the case since I am also having rough idel (is not going up and down but you can feel it is not stable) and the valve cost 250 and I don't think I will take the risk to spend that money.
    My machanic and I have been thinking all the posibility but we just can not come up an answer. The other way is to start changing all the parts until it is ok but of course it will not worth to do. a 10 years old 2nd hand car is very cheap here and parts are so expensive on Volvo. If I have to change the throttle body, the electric valve, fuel pump, my final bill will cost more than what the car worth and I am not in a position of get another car since mine is in very good sharp except this which probably cause by me playing with the wastgate in the first place.
    Can someone please help me think what else i should look at or anyone have the problem I am have.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I'm still working on it have no fear
    SAM ECU
    Blue Injectors
    NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
    TurboXS Type R-HFL
    87 Deg Stat