Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

IPD HD Turbo Control Valve (TCV, BCS)

Just for clarity, this post relates to the IPD Heavy Duty Turbo Control Valve (TCV) as a direct replacement for the standard fitment Pierburg TCV on a 2001 Phase 2 V70 T5 running an off-the-shelf remap. I know people have posted on this before, but here’s my two pennies-worth anyways, for those who may be interested.

I’ve seen a deterioration in boost control on previous Pierburg units causing what I’d refer to as noticeable drivability issues which do not necessarily log error codes; such as spiking (WOT) and intermittent boost (part throttle).

These symptoms were much improved on two occasions with the installation of a new Pierburg TCV but having read about the benefits of the IPD unit in terms of its ability to control boost levels more effectively and its general robustness, allied to the and the fact that I’d recently had to replace a standard TCV after only 15 months, I was keen to install a dedicated aftermarket product for a relative test.

I sourced the product direct from IPDUSA.com and with import duty applied, the final cost was around £80 so it wasn’t a particularly cheap experiment (!) but as a remaining grumble on the car I felt it was worth pursuing.

Installation is pretty straight forward, all the unions are colour coded and the electrical connector is fully compatible with the harness so from that point of view its plug and play. The bracket to attach the TCV onto the airbox is pretty basic though and was a bit of a faff to adjust for a good fit (in-fact that probably accounted for half of the 20 minutes it took to fit) and is not as convincing as the plastic clip on the Pierburg unit. Overall though, it’s a tidy robust unit which can, apparently, be dissembled for cleaning.

The documentation recommends a certain procedure to ensure the ECU adapts to the TCV for best performance. This involves building boost to about half of maximum and holding that for 5-7 seconds before backing off and decelerating to 30 MPH before repeating the process a few times, then parking, switching off and letting the ECU learn. I have to say that I struggled to find a road which would let me follow this procedure to the letter as selecting the right gear and throttle setting whilst staying within the speed limit and not annoying other road users is all but impossible. Still I managed to run through the main part of the procedure a number of times and could feel things improving after each iteration.

So, what difference has it made and was it worth it? Well, for part throttle it’s a definite thumbs up – it seems to be able to hold the boost pressure more effectively now and doesn’t drop the pressure off so dramatically when you blend out of the throttle. At WOT I can now feel the car pulling smoothly and the tendency to spike has been diminished, if not entirely eliminated. Overall, the car is more consistent and predictable to drive, particularly in terms of throttle response, which makes a big difference to me personally. Although there are no specific disassembly and cleaning instructions on line as yet, I'll certainly be interested in having a go at that after a year or so of running, which may confirm the hypothesis about clogging.

As for whether or not it’s something others may wish to consider – certainly if you’re happy that you don’t have any TCV related boost control issues then it’s probably not to be thought of as an ‘upgrade’. However, if for whatever reason you’re in the market for a new TCV and can afford the extra 40 odd quid and 7-10 days shipment then yes, I think it does warrant serious consideration - it is likely to give you a noticeable improvement and may even save you the cost of another failed unit in the future.
    Princepugh

V70 T5 P2

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to princepugh For This Useful Post:

d2k (Wednesday 25th April 2012),HADI (Sunday 28th February 2010),thebadger (Friday 26th February 2010),Turkish (Sunday 28th February 2010)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    PFV also sell these (as IPD reseller in UK/Europe)

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=6135

I am still not convinced.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I actually fitted a Perrin version of the same product (it's the same unit, less the clip & IPD branding) but if you saw both together you'd be forgiven to not knowing the difference.

I did notice better pull & more accurate control on the throttle. I would say it's worth doing for the money, but only if you fit new hoses & use uprated 6mm silicone & not rubber as the turbo will melt the rubber ones in time.

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thebadger View Post
    I would say it's worth doing for the money, but only if you fit new hoses & use uprated 6mm silicone & not rubber as the turbo will melt the rubber ones in time.
    That's the next job on the list once the weather quits with it!
    Princepugh

V70 T5 P2

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The silicone hoses make a really big difference!

My set of TCV hoses were cracked & brittle.

Rubber hoses are to turbo engines, what american food invention is to cheese!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thebadger For This Useful Post:

cornclose (Sunday 28th February 2010)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    perhaps if my BCS gives out I might get one - but noone can show empirical evidence that the control is any better?
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    perhaps if my BCS gives out I might get one - but noone can show empirical evidence that the control is any better?
    Well it is an uprated version of the basic unit.

And as I said, the hoses are all usually rotten & need doing anyways (remember one fits directly to the turbo body so I'd bet it will be a bit on the dry & brittle side even on a 2yr old car).

Also remember & use the lowest bidder theory to all mass produced components.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I recently replaced my BCS with a new genuine unit from Volvo. My hoses were all fine, on a close to 9 year old car, so I'm assuming they may have been changed at some point before. I'd go with the IPD valve if I could have waited, but as I was stuck on base boost a lot of the time (random) I couldn't wait!
    Chris
    2010 Alfa Romeo 159 JTDm
    2001 V70 T5 SE (RICA 310)
    1997 9000 Aero (Abbotted)

Visit my Rant

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cornclose View Post
    I recently replaced my BCS with a new genuine unit from Volvo. My hoses were all fine, on a close to 9 year old car, so I'm assuming they may have been changed at some point before. I'd go with the IPD valve if I could have waited, but as I was stuck on base boost a lot of the time (random) I couldn't wait!
    Not having a UK direct supplier is a bummer and as you say, when the TCV loses the plot, it's not something you want to wait for.

The TCV hoses on my 9 year old V70 look 'ok' but I did have to cut one of them back a bit as there was a crack/split developing so they definitely need doing. I can see some scraped knuckles coming though!
    Princepugh

V70 T5 P2

12. The Following User Says Thank You to princepugh For This Useful Post:

cornclose (Monday 1st March 2010)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Some advice guy's - I'm faced with exactly the same problem I had 6 months ago when I had my V70 T5 P2 mapped - so this post is quite timely - problem is it would boost on a standard map fine no drop in pressure - long story very short - had it mapped 6 months ago - throttle body went down about a week after and volvo main dealer wouldn't touch it as it was mapped - so flashed back to std map to sort that problem by replacing throttle body + new oem MAF - and its been ever since on the std map - no boost related problems

Now took it back last week to have it remapped and its doing exectly the same in relation to its boost pressure - it will boost 1 bar once and hold - then boot it again it will then dump its pressure and then it will only boost 4 psi max - run around for another couple of miles boosting 4psi max - after that it will then boost again 1 bar - and then drop to 4 psi - so it seems to go full circle

Could this be related to the BCV - 1 bar is not excessive pressure - I've got silicon vacum hoses etc - or could it be the RCV causing the problem?

So above seems to lead me down this route of the BCV

Any thoughts

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by exfuzzyt5 View Post
    Some advice guy's - I'm faced with exactly the same problem I had 6 months ago when I had my V70 T5 P2 mapped - so this post is quite timely - problem is it would boost on a standard map fine no drop in pressure - long story very short - had it mapped 6 months ago - throttle body went down about a week after and volvo main dealer wouldn't touch it as it was mapped - so flashed back to std map to sort that problem by replacing throttle body + new oem MAF - and its been ever since on the std map - no boost related problems

Now took it back last week to have it remapped and its doing exectly the same in relation to its boost pressure - it will boost 1 bar once and hold - then boot it again it will then dump its pressure and then it will only boost 4 psi max - run around for another couple of miles boosting 4psi max - after that it will then boost again 1 bar - and then drop to 4 psi - so it seems to go full circle

Could this be related to the BCV - 1 bar is not excessive pressure - I've got silicon vacum hoses etc - or could it be the RCV causing the problem?

So above seems to lead me down this route of the BCV

Any thoughts
    Sounds horribly familiar:-

Firstly – you’re probably better off starting a new thread about this as people may not pick it up as part of this IPD TCV thread, which is more for information. You’ll get more feedback that way hopefully.

Secondly – you should try to get the codes read, if the car is dropping boost like that it’s probably done it for protection so should have logged something, which may give a clue.

Thirdly - there are a number of sensors, valves and vacuum pipes which could be instrumental in causing your problem. You’ll probably find that most people will advise you to check for vac leaks first, although the TCV is obviously a major suspect along with the Manifold Pressure Sensor (MAP). It could also be the turbo itself, e.g. a sticky wastegate or recirculation valve (as you suggest (I think IPD do a replacement actually!) but less likely I’d say.

In my case, the car logged ‘overboost’ and ‘TCV not responding’ codes in that order but over a long period of time. The former was eventually solved with a replacement ETM and the latter surprisingly enough was the TCV getting sluggish but NOT failing.

Thing to remember is that when running a map the boost can build very rapidly, especially in the lower gears (which you’ll see if you’ve got a boost gauge) so if any part of the system in controlling that boost is not doing its job properly you will experience these annoying problems. That’s why so many people talk about doing a Stage 0 tune-up before applying a map.

Hope that helps – I have a working TCV you could borrow depending upon where you are based.
    Last edited by princepugh; Monday 1st March 2010 at 15:30. Reason: Captain Sensible
    Princepugh

V70 T5 P2

15. The Following User Says Thank You to princepugh For This Useful Post:

exfuzzyt5 (Tuesday 2nd March 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have an IPD one - brand new, only assembled but never fitted.
    PFV are the UK dealer for IPD.
    Looking for a V70 Sport D5 geartronic

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Worms, can, toss.....

As I said, the TCV is a pretty small & basic a unit for the important job it has to do.

As in Pugh's post, they can go fuzzy as well as fail.

If you have a doubt about the current OEM one, then replace it asap, also remember that the uprated one is about £30 quid of a difference & can be cleaned & maintained!

The hoses are still a big issue. Rubber is a natural product & does perish, regardless of the heat or use.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Excuse me for being Billy Thicko... My T5 has 155,000 up so I would think it's a good idea to renew the hoses. Is the Samco set the way to go? Mines down on power but not terribly so. Reckon new hoses, MAF sensor and five new plugs plus a session on the rollers would be the way forward.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    We're talking Vac hoses to the TCV here Dave, if you pop the bonnet & look around the air box/filter area you should see a random block of plastic with 3 hoses & one electrical plug on it.

This is the weak link in the turbo system, as it's hooked up using rubber hoses (non braided unlike the boost hoses, so they crack & fail) and the valve unit is a touch on the flimsy side.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dave stew View Post
    Excuse me for being Billy Thicko... My T5 has 155,000 up so I would think it's a good idea to renew the hoses. Is the Samco set the way to go? Mines down on power but not terribly so. Reckon new hoses, MAF sensor and five new plugs plus a session on the rollers would be the way forward.
    Rubber does perish over time particularly in a heat intensive environment. Replacement is a good thing to do.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cheers guys. Looks like a worthwhile and not too expensive option.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Looking for a V70 Sport D5 geartronic

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by princepugh View Post
    Sounds horribly familiar:-

Firstly – you’re probably better off starting a new thread about this as people may not pick it up as part of this IPD TCV thread, which is more for information. You’ll get more feedback that way hopefully.

Secondly – you should try to get the codes read, if the car is dropping boost like that it’s probably done it for protection so should have logged something, which may give a clue.

Thirdly - there are a number of sensors, valves and vacuum pipes which could be instrumental in causing your problem. You’ll probably find that most people will advise you to check for vac leaks first, although the TCV is obviously a major suspect along with the Manifold Pressure Sensor (MAP). It could also be the turbo itself, e.g. a sticky wastegate or recirculation valve (as you suggest (I think IPD do a replacement actually!) but less likely I’d say.

In my case, the car logged ‘overboost’ and ‘TCV not responding’ codes in that order but over a long period of time. The former was eventually solved with a replacement ETM and the latter surprisingly enough was the TCV getting sluggish but NOT failing.

Thing to remember is that when running a map the boost can build very rapidly, especially in the lower gears (which you’ll see if you’ve got a boost gauge) so if any part of the system in controlling that boost is not doing its job properly you will experience these annoying problems. That’s why so many people talk about doing a Stage 0 tune-up before applying a map.

Hope that helps – I have a working TCV you could borrow depending upon where you are based.
    Cheers - will start another thread

Replaced the TCV last night with a spare one - does exactly the same - can't rule out that one being knacked though - but again I used it 6 months ago when the problem first occured post remap- so again that one was fine on the STD map

The strange thing is on the stand map both TCV's are fine and pull full boost - so if the TCV had failed then it wouldn't do that? Its only happens post remap and hence the increased boost pressure

Think I need to go back to basics and replace all the hoses

Also its not logging any fault codes - the plot thickens

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Could be a leak, could be an issue with the map itself, but I'd guess by sounds that it may be more than likley a sensor or HW issue & not a map/SW issue.

Boost may fudge the sensors & cause some problems, but a read on the codes may answer the problem & show you where to start.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to thebadger For This Useful Post:

exfuzzyt5 (Tuesday 2nd March 2010)

Thread Information