Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

DAB Radio & Our Volvo's

Did you know that in the Midlands Area in 2011 we change to DAB. In Europe they have now adopted DAB 2. Existing DAB radios will not pick up DAB2. On top of that our existing car radios will not pick up DAB. Can somebody with more ICE knoweldge than me please tell me I am talking a load of 80110cks and have got it wrong. I have a horrible feeling that I am not far from the truth. So the replacement radio HU850 i have just had fitted will be useless after 2011 other than playing CD's. I know the TV will be up the shoot but i never watch it anyway. I assume all new Volvo's are fitted with Dab radios and will receive Digital TV.
    A quick edit.
    After 2011 will FM Radio go and be replaced or will FM be retained. I have been informed that there is a big debate going on wether or not the change over is taking place in 2011, Anybody out there got any more info.
    Last edited by MacXC60T5; Friday 26th February 2010 at 21:25.
    Current - 2018 XC60 R Design T5 (petrol) Polestar
    Previous :2016 XC60 D5 R Design (diesel) 2011 Volvo XC60 T5 (petrol)
    S60 T6. 70 T5 SE Jaguar S Type R 2004. 2 No Volvo S 80 T6's

This user has no status

Thanks
    As far as i know the digital crossover only applies to television and not radio. Most of today's new cars still do not have DAB installed. I think we are still some way off needing to upgrade to DAB in our cars and by that time there will be an adapter widely available. There probably already is.
    No need to panic just yet.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yeah, if they do switch it off you could use a mini FM transmitter like you get for Ipods & a mini DAB reciever to select the channels.

Fit a DAB DigitalTV unit in the boot like I did! I'm covered whatever happens!

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Or you could get one of these. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PURE-HIGHWAY-I...item439d79ddbd
    and hardwire it if your not keen on the cigar lighter charging.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have a double din pioneer number with the TV linked in, DVD, bluetooth, ipod hook up & reversing camera too!

The TV unit cost £20 on ebay & works a treat! I get sky news on my way into work, but I hate Eamonn Holmes so I play music I watch the ticker at lights!

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Did a bit of research, suppose I should have done before I posted. It would appear that somebody in Browns lot has dropped a 8011ock. Massive problems with DAB, looks like FM will be still with us untill 2016 +++++. Europe will be using DAB+. Big problems with stabalised signals in vehicles and a lot of areas in the UK just can,t receive DAB. So in conclusion I have discovered that no date is fixed and it is still open to debate. Typical Government stealth tax to get us to all buy new radios.
    Current - 2018 XC60 R Design T5 (petrol) Polestar
    Previous :2016 XC60 D5 R Design (diesel) 2011 Volvo XC60 T5 (petrol)
    S60 T6. 70 T5 SE Jaguar S Type R 2004. 2 No Volvo S 80 T6's

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crespo View Post
    As far as i know the digital crossover only applies to television and not radio. Most of today's new cars still do not have DAB installed. I think we are still some way off needing to upgrade to DAB in our cars and by that time there will be an adapter widely available. There probably already is.
    No need to panic just yet.
    I heard a debate about this very topic on Radio 2 a few weeks ago and from what Jeremy Vine was saying, it does include Radio, not just TV.
    The switching off starts in late 2012 too. Whether it actually happens or not is anyone's guess.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thread Information