Join Today

Thread: Nitrous

This user has no status
    Thanks

Nitrous

Dont hear a lot about this on here but met someone the other day at a BBQ who seems to know his cars.
    www.sleeper-performance.com (Nick Davidson)
    Had an extensive chat about cars and stuff and he knows his stuff.
    Anyone on here tried it?
    Scrappage.....love it!!

This user has no status

Thanks

Thumbs up

Had some experience of it on Vauxhall engines but not Volvo.You will encounter various opinions, some will say it works others will say it'll destroy your engine! I say speak to people who supply and use it then make your own mind up.The best, in my opionion, is Highpower Nitrous Systems a guy called Trevor runs it, they have a good website with loads of info and a message board for nitrous users to chat and exchange ideas etc.Do a Google search an you'll find it. My own opinion is if it's done right with the correct kit and setting up it "does as it says on the tin"!!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut
    Had some experience of it on Vauxhall engines but not Volvo.You will encounter various opinions, some will say it works others will say it'll destroy your engine! I say speak to people who supply and use it then make your own mind up.The best, in my opionion, is Highpower Nitrous Systems a guy called Trevor runs it, they have a good website with loads of info and a message board for nitrous users to chat and exchange ideas etc.Do a Google search an you'll find it. My own opinion is if it's done right with the correct kit and setting up it "does as it says on the tin"!!
    So what we talking about in BHP , if your T5 is Rica'd and wot not , say like Wobbly Daves R...are we talking complete mental power...!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Saffy V70R Auto estate
    --------------------------------------------------

This user has no status

Thanks
    You get as much power as you add the jets for.

Nitrous can be fitted with as little as 20 bhp jets, up to 300bhp jets. ALWAYS start small and make sure everything is in working order, then upgrade the jets, get it fitted by someone who has experience of it.

My mates garage supplies and fits nitrous kits, and is an agent for Wizards of Nos, any car I've seen it on always performs well, great modification for drag racing and short burst of power, remember though, power is only there as long as theres gas in the bottle, so you have to factor in the cost of refilling the bottle.

Small jet kits can be done for minimum cost, once you go past say 50 jets, you really want a progressive controller, which adds to the cost, and upgrade to a bigger bottle so that it lasts longer.

It provides a great power/£ , but its temporary power remember, and make sure the car is set up properly.

Ross
    All fast cars long gone. Sensible family BMW 3 series now.
    Still Volvo links though as my wife has a V50 R design sport and a mildly fettled T4

This user has no status

Thanks
    Agree with everything Ross9 says!! Only thing that can be a bit misleading is that when they say 50bhp jets for instance, you won't actually get a 50bhp increase in power you might more!! On a T5 with a Rica etc. you could safely be knocking on the door of 400bhp with say 50-75bhp jets, but then I think something internal (rods?) will let go. I don't know enough about Volvo engines to say for sure what sort of power they can take, best to ask someone who does!! By the way Wizards of Noz are Highpower, same company. Ross9 whats the name of your mate's garage and where is it?

This user has no status
    Thanks

Talking Nos

Would you not need larger injectors
    Sorry could'nt resist that
    (See VOC thread)
    I guess if you are running a later T5 engine, NOS could be a lot of fun. On an earlier model if stock internals I would not risk it.
    Paul

This user has no status

Thanks

NOS newbie

Does NOS work well on a turbo engine?
    I don't know much about it but surely the fundamental idea of both is to force more air/fuel mixture into the combustion chamber? If the engine was capable of taking more charge then couldn't the turbo boost be turned up to achieve much the same effect?
    Or am I missing something?
    Robb
    Silver 2001 V70 T5 ex-plod
    Eibach lowered springs, Monroe Reflex shocks; 17" Almathea's shod with P6000's (eBay £50 net); Black leather interior (eBay £410)

I have been unfaithful to
    Volvo twice since joining this
    forum but it's only for more
    than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    Madness with his S40 could be worth asking!
    2004 V50 T5 SE

....is making a comeback
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    On some cars NOS will work great, but when it come to a Volvo T5 most cars on this site have been Rica'd thus making 300bhp, Nos will cost you around £500 guess you could get it cheaper but you pay for what you get, to fill a Nos bottel up each time is about £40 and say you run 40-50bhp jets, wouldn't it be easier just to buy a 18-19T turbo and have the power there all day every day, I suppose if you have full forged internals and already running 400-450bhp a shot of 75bhp would do any harm. There are different ways it can be used, there are different types of kits out there that spray NOS onto your intercooler or some that spray into the inlet manifold and some to spray into the turbo (anti lag sort of thing) and a few more I guess.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pault5
    Would you not need larger injectors
    Sorry could'nt resist that
    (See VOC thread)
    I guess if you are running a later T5 engine, NOS could be a lot of fun. On an earlier model if stock internals I would not risk it.
    Paul
    lol, actually, no you dont need bigger injectors, as you use two jets, one for fuel, one for nitrous, known as a "wet" nitrous kit, so it adds it's own fuel, knowledge on set up is good as sometimes to get the fuel mix rtight you use a fuel jet one bigger or one smaller than the nitrous jet etc.

As juggernaut said, it's not an exact science either, you wont get spot on 50bhp, 75bhp etc, it's just the way they classify the jets.

Also, I forgot to mention, direct port nitrous is a much better way of doing it it would seem, results seem better, but it costs a bit more and fitting is more involved as you have a nitrous and fuel spray into each cylinder, not just one of each sprayed along the intake manifold.

Juggernaut, my mates garage is imaginatively called The Garage, and is located in Wishaw, Scotland.

Have a look for yourself, www.the-garage.co.uk, forum present, vids, info etc. No misbehaving on the forums though, scarily enough I have admin and moderator powers over there lol. His garage built my own car, see sig for spec, and we will be racing mine and his old Skyline (he races it for the new owner, see the vids section for how it goes at 1.5 bar, and imagine how it will go at 2.0 at totb) at Ten of The Best this year.

Ross
    All fast cars long gone. Sensible family BMW 3 series now.
    Still Volvo links though as my wife has a V50 R design sport and a mildly fettled T4

Thread Information