Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

The importance of tyre pressures.

Have had my R for a few weeks now, and having sorted the binding handbrakes shoes that kept it immobile for a while have now had chance to get to know the car a bit better.

Have to say I was not overly impressed with the ride or handling, had basically dismissed the 4C as cack and yearned for some regular shocks. Well on checking tyre pressures last night they were all down to mid 20s; pumping them up to the right specs, well wow, the magic carpet "comfort" ride is back (not that I ever had it), no more shimmying on rough roads, can't wait to try it out in sport

Being a tyre geek already I know the importance of decent boots and the right pressures on any car, but the difference to an electronic damping setup seems to be multiplied many times over. Just shows you have to check the basics out before jumping to conclusions. I'm off on a half day now to have some fun with it!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to britten_mark For This Useful Post:

abdul (Friday 19th February 2010)

This user has no status

Thanks
    going to check mine

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    I can feel the difference between 30 and 34 when I drive mine...Check em at the end every month to be on the safe side.

This user has no status

Thanks
    What PSI should mine be.? 225/45/17's.

straight5
    This user has no status
    Quote Originally Posted by crespo View Post
    What PSI should mine be.? 225/45/17's.
    On my S60 with same size wheels; its 29psi on normal loads. look inside your filler cap for the guide.

Makes a massive difference.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by straight5 View Post
    On my S60 with same size wheels; its 29psi on normal loads. look inside your filler cap for the guide.

I would double check that as my '99 V70R AWD with 215/45 ZR 17s on was 36psi on all 4 corners! Also my current '03 V70R AWD with 235/35 ZR 18s runs with 35psi all round. I know the AWD cars should run with the same tire pressures all round but 29psi seems too low for a S60 T5. Even my old '96 T5 estate with 205/50 ZR 16s had 33psi front and 30psi rear.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by straight5 View Post

Strange, my cap says 36psi on that size?

I use this & it feels great, less than 30psi feels "bendy" in the handling.

Also my Tyres look slightly flat at 30psi & normal at 36psi.

Just my thought but have you checked with a dealer?

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    42R 45F works for me. And yes, you really can tell when the pressure is a few pounds out - mind you, new anti-roll bar will help a bit too...
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

straight5
    This user has no status
    Quote Originally Posted by thebadger View Post
    Strange, my cap says 36psi on that size?

I use this & it feels great, less than 30psi feels "bendy" in the handling.

Also my Tyres look slightly flat at 30psi & normal at 36psi.

Just my thought but have you checked with a dealer?

I've taken another look at my filler and it has left me more confused, rather than less. There are 2 columns one for heavily loaded (picture of 5 people and a load of luggage) and one for medium loads (three people).

Each column is divided into two rows though with a picture of a speedo at 160 kmh. First column shows 0-160 and shows tyre pressures of 29 all round.
    Second shows as follows: "160-" with tyre pressures of 38.
    Its pretty ambiguous what this means. Does this mean if I spend a lot of time at speeds over 160 kph which is virtually 100 mph I want them at 38 psi, but if Im generally doing 0-100mph Im better at 29??? I often do 130mph on a favourite country lane (private road of course) but inevitably I spend most of my time closer to zero. Well zero is usually where I start from anyway haha.
    Seems a very confusing way to put a guide. (Mine dont look too flat at 29)

(Also not sure about Badgers "bendy in the handling" lower pressure means more grip and higher means lower grip but less fuel consumption)
    Last edited by straight5; Tuesday 23rd February 2010 at 14:30.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatout Phil View Post
    42R 45F works for me. And yes, you really can tell when the pressure is a few pounds out - mind you, new anti-roll bar will help a bit too...
    Over inflating your tyres will massively reduce tyre wear. These pressures Phil are too high for your R.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Tyre pressures are always going to be a compromise if you vary your loads and type of driving. I use the middle values unless going on a long trip with sustained loads/high speeds, then I'll pump them up.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    I would double check that as my '99 V70R AWD with 215/45 ZR 17s on was 36psi on all 4 corners!
    I had the same Vredesteins as you on my old R and agree 36 was IMHO the best compromise pressure

This user has no status
    Thanks
    IMO anything outside of the 30-40 band could well result in uneven tyre wear and would certainly be noticeable through the wheel. My P2 T5 carries varying loads but I compromise around the 35 mark.
    Princepugh

V70 T5 P2

This user has no status

Thanks

Tyre Pressure

Lee is spot on the handbook advizes 225/45/17 @ 250 kPa Front and Rear = 36 psi or 2.5 bar Normal running and 280 kPa all round = 40 psi loaded

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mds For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Tuesday 23rd February 2010),thebadger (Tuesday 23rd February 2010)

This user has no status

Thanks
    On my 850R I use 36psi all round for general urban running around, if I go out on the B roads I'll up them a couple of lbs - also the same for long distance m/way runs.

Pookie

This user has no status
    Thanks
    By "bendy" I mean that the grip drops off in very tight corners (mini roundabouts & the like) but is far better at 36psi.

The filler caps list is pish anyway, if I were driving a car at over 100mph everywhere, I'd be in Germany? No?

Too much pressure will mis-shape the running surface on the tread & cause bands of wear on both edges.

I'm for 35-40psi (more keen at 35ish) for daily use.

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Too much pressure will mis-shape the running surface on the tread & cause bands of wear on both edges.
    Over pressure in the tyres will cause centre tread wear, under inflation will give you high edge wear.

Also that 'little label' is what your insurance company will use to wriggle out of paying your claim if they really feel like it. It's not 'pish', it has a basis in law.

"Sgt. Butterman? Little hand says it's time to rock'n'roll!"
    "Bring the noise!"

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Over inflating your tyres will massively reduce tyre wear. These pressures Phil are too high for your R.
    (Oops - got my R and my F back to front) But if you look at page 4:4 of the 850 Owners Manual 42f 46r is the spec for motorway at full load - so that suits my usage. 41f 39r is the recommendation for general usage on 205/45/17 on turbo estates doing runs over 60mph. Under that 33f 32r is the recommendation - although I have to say that I find that set-up to be flaccid and soggy.
    Last edited by Flatout Phil; Wednesday 24th February 2010 at 13:50.
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

Thread Information