Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts

R Suspension queries

Had the alignment results back on the 850R and they are ALL OVER THE PLACE however, as suspected, the wishbone bushes are needing replacement. Not sure whether to go Powerflex or stay standard Volvo: OPINIONS WELCOMED.
    ALSO:
    Rear anti-roll bar has a fatigue fracture. Shall I just get Volvo replacement or is there a different product that will tighten up the ship? OPINIONS WELCOMED!
    Cheers,
    Phil.
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

This user has no status

Thanks
    i would say standard volvo original

3. The Following User Says Thank You to abdul For This Useful Post:

Flatout Phil (Friday 19th February 2010)

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    IPD do uprated roll bars. Speak to Russ at RT I'm sure he's fitted them to someones car on here.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomcat For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatout Phil View Post
    Had the alignment results back on the 850R and they are ALL OVER THE PLACE however, as suspected, the wishbone bushes are needing replacement. Not sure whether to go Powerflex or stay standard Volvo: OPINIONS WELCOMED.
    ALSO:
    Rear anti-roll bar has a fatigue fracture. Shall I just get Volvo replacement or is there a different product that will tighten up the ship? OPINIONS WELCOMED!
    Cheers,
    Phil.
    go powerflex on the bushes and ipds sway bars front and rear it will completely change your car mate

7. The Following User Says Thank You to smithy For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks

R Suspension Queries

ALSO:
    Cheers,
    Phil.
    Phil

Ive just looked in to this as I thought my front bushes needed doing ... Thankfully it was my wheel alignement which was causing all the problems.

Powerflex are good ( Ive had them on a previous 855R ) but be careful if your lower ball joints are on the way out you end up have to transplant the new bushes on new arms as the ball joints come complete with the arms. Its probably cheaper to get some new arms from Rufe for £210 delivered if the ball joints are past their best .

Powerflex bushes are about £75 and then you'll ahve to fit them . Depends really if the ball joints are ok . Hope that makes sense ?

Ive just got a IPD rear anti roll bar from Don @ Kalmar Union they are supposed to transform the handling . Ill have to let you know on that once its fitted. Your welcome to my old anti roll bar once its off the car .

If that has confused you ... PM me your number and Ill explain over the phone :-)

Rich
    1996 855 R
    1995 855 T5
    1968 Califorian Imp

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Clan998 For This Useful Post:

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the thoughts so far. Have spoken to Russ (RT) and the IPD bars sound good - so good advice there Smithy and Craig. Powerflex are clean out of bushes and are unlikely to have any for at least 4 weeks. So I either wait, get new Volvo bushes as per Abdul's suggestion, or even new arms as per Rich's post. Rich I have PMd you re number as always useful to get two heads around these issues.
    Russ's input much appreciated too!
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clan998 View Post
    Phil

Ive just looked in to this as I thought my front bushes needed doing ... Thankfully it was my wheel alignement which was causing all the problems.

Powerflex are good ( Ive had them on a previous 855R ) but be careful if your lower ball joints are on the way out you end up have to transplant the new bushes on new arms as the ball joints come complete with the arms. Its probably cheaper to get some new arms from Rufe for £210 delivered if the ball joints are past their best .

Powerflex bushes are about £75 and then you'll ahve to fit them . Depends really if the ball joints are ok . Hope that makes sense ?

Ive just got a IPD rear anti roll bar from Don @ Kalmar Union they are supposed to transform the handling . Ill have to let you know on that once its fitted. Your welcome to my old anti roll bar once its off the car .

If that has confused you ... PM me your number and Ill explain over the phone :-)

Rich
    PM sent
    KISS Rs

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    IPD All the way - completely transformed my S40 and it was already quite nice to drive around the corners being similar to a ford focus - Probably the best bang per buck upgrade you can do IMHO.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to t5_monkey For This Useful Post:

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    On the basis that the car has 90k on it, I think I might as well get new wishbones because, at this stage, I see little point in renewing bushes when in all likelihood the balljoint is coming to the end of its likely useful life. Have scoured all the reciepts since new (there are a lot) and no sign the job has ever been done. Still, I am left mulling whether to have the new arms rebushed with polybushes or just installing them as is for the moment. Probably the latter.
    Will certainly get the IPD kit front and rear anti-roll bar upgrade kit - the reviews all seem to be unanimous that it is an excellent and (at £362) not excessively priced for the return - when compared with the £130 ish for the standard Volvo rear.
    No doubt the entire car will now fall apart around me as she edges 100k.

I would guess that with the power output that bushes will tend to fail more readily - but am fairly confident that if needed, they can be replaced later.

Will await further opinions on this one!
    KISS Rs

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Don't know if your interested but I've got some poly bushes in the garage for the wishbones, I fitted them but then had to buy new arms shortly afterwards because the balljoint was knackered, I don't think they've done more than 20miles at the most.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomcat For This Useful Post:

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    If Phil don't want them pm me t/c, will give Phil first dibs as this is his thread

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamest5r For This Useful Post:

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    Don't know if your interested but I've got some poly bushes in the garage for the wishbones, I fitted them but then had to buy new arms shortly afterwards because the balljoint was knackered, I don't think they've done more than 20miles at the most.
    Hi Craig,
    PM sent.
    Phil
    KISS Rs

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    I got some powerflex bushes 2 weeks ago, from Larkspeed, they were cheaper than other places too. Thety might have a set or 2 left, and they are a new batch from after the fire.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Volvostorm For This Useful Post:

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Craig has sorted me some bushes! Hurrah!

Have ordered the roll-bars.

Will let you know how it all turns out - I am sure you are all waiting with bated breath...

I now realise what those strange doinking noises were a few months back as I came onto my driveway - roll bar fracturing. I thought I had a broken rear spring.
    Last edited by Flatout Phil; Friday 19th February 2010 at 21:09.
    KISS Rs

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Question is, is it sensible to put in new drop-links as well when the new roll bar goes in at the front?
    KISS Rs

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    Question is, is it sensible to put in new drop-links as well when the new roll bar goes in at the front?
    I would mate, that way everything is nice and new

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Volvostorm For This Useful Post:

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks

Call to Rufe imminent!

Quote Originally Posted by Pault5estate View Post
    I would mate, that way everything is nice and new
    I will see what Rufe can do for me on Monday. I agree with you. Trouble is, I will end up renewing whole car on this basis! No doubt be rear bushes next...new struts, springs, AP brakes...slippery slope
    KISS Rs

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    I'm getting to that slope, I have a pile of bits in my living room waiting to be fitted.......................... ah! the joys of living alone!

This user has no status
    Thanks

I'm getting to that slope, I have a pile of bits in my living room waiting to be fitted.......................... ah! the joys of living alone!
    guilty as charged.............me too lol

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    At this rate, I think I will be living alone quite soon!!!
    KISS Rs

Thread Information