Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Won't Darton Liners set you back a fair whack?

Liners in my block are made from chocolate (over 330 is asking for trouble apparently) - wouldn't mind a set if they don't cost the earth

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Sorry, not been around much lately. Thought I'd update the post ...

Rough running was just down to crap fuel - car had been sitting for 5 months and I suspect the V-Power either went off, or some water had got into the system. That tank of fuel resulted in some rough running, dropping to 4 cylinders occasionally on the overrun, 'check engine' light coming on, etc. Since filling up with quality fuel, I've now been running the car for over 1000 miles with no issues at all. Back to full health and big smiles all round

I'm now thinking about fixing the original engine, having Darton liners fitted to fix the split liner problem, and putting it back in the car. I'll then have a guaranteed good 20k miles complete engine for sale if anyone's looking

So, who should I speak to (in the UK, please ) about getting the original block re-linered with Mr Darton's finest?

Thanks in advance,
    Brian
    Thats good news Brian There is no agent as such for the Darton sleeves i neally sent my block to them in the usa to have the work done but in the end the machine shop i use did it fine i can ask them for a price for you if you wish for my style of liner design

Russ
    LOOK at our project :
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16301
    591 BHP 524 Ftlbs torque so far
    The Most Powerful T5 in the UK

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post

Liners in my block are made from chocolate (over 330 is asking for trouble apparently) - wouldn't mind a set if they don't cost the earth
    The Liners them selves dont cost to much 1K odd but its the machining work to fix them in place etc etc that costs the money

Russ
    LOOK at our project :
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16301
    591 BHP 524 Ftlbs torque so far
    The Most Powerful T5 in the UK

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RT MECHANICS View Post
    The Liners them selves dont cost to much 1K odd but its the machining work to fix them in place etc etc that costs the money

Russ
    Thanks Russ. I have an excellent engineer locally I can use. If I buy the Darton sleeves from a US agent, I guess they would provide any advice and/or pattern to fit them.

When you say "my style of liner design", are there different designs? What should I be looking for? There's no obvious sleeve design on Darton's website - I guess I need to speak to one of their engineers. Sorry, new to this
    If it ain't broke, just wait 15 minutes ...

This user has no status

Thanks

I found a company in the US that will supply and fit for around $2,000 but I don't think it would be practical or cost-effective to ship the block to them. Russ mentions around £1,000 for the sleeves plus finding someone here to do the work. Might be worth it to get a bomb-proof engine

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

t5_monkey (Monday 12th April 2010)

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    I found a company in the US that will supply and fit for around $2,000 but I don't think it would be practical or cost-effective to ship the block to them. Russ mentions around £1,000 for the sleeves plus finding someone here to do the work. Might be worth it to get a bomb-proof engine
    Cool Keep me up to date - I may be interested in this if you find someone around Scotland to do all of this work Maybe they can do 2 for a discount?!

Ben

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

This user has no status

Thanks

Setting the timing S60R

Hey aus...can ya tell me how to set the timing on my 01 c5?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Cool Keep me up to date - I may be interested in this if you find someone around Scotland to do all of this work Maybe they can do 2 for a discount?!

Ben
    Well, it's been an eventful time The second engine went the same way as the first, 20k miles after I fitted it. So, in March this year, the Volvo went back to the hospital After some deliberation (should I buy another second-hand engine, fix the original one, light the blue touch paper and stand clear ... ), I decided that I'd invested enough in this car to keep it a bit longer and decided on having a stronger motor built. So, some time later, here it is.

Engine has been built by a local race engine builder, with sleeves designed and manufactured by him. We discussed just buying Darton sleeves and he said he could make similar for less money, so he did. Not sure about the less money at the end of the day, but he has guaranteed(!) the engine to 500bhp so we'll see. I'll run it as it is till the middle of next year when it will become a dedicated track car.

Here are a couple of pics of the engine as it is now. Just got the car back yesterday afternoon and will be running it in over the next month or so, so I'll see how it goes.

Cheers,
    Brian

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Wobbly Dave (Saturday 10th December 2011)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    How much (if I am allowed to ask) is the budget for this rebuild?
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    How much (if I am allowed to ask) is the budget for this rebuild?
    Not seen the bill yet, Dave, but I have paid £2k on account as the invoice from the engine builder for drilling the old liners out of the block, making and fitting the new liners, and providing new rings, main bearing shells, all new bolts, head gasket, VAT etc., was just over £2k. I'm expecting to pay another £1k or so for all the work in removing the engine, refitting the new one, new belts, re-gassing the aircon, etc. Also had some other work done on the car (new discs and pads, service, etc.) and am waiting on a new solid flywheel (would have been fitted at the same time, but there's a slight machining problem so will get that fitted later. Probably another £1k.

Still cheaper than the depreciation on a new Ford Focus At least, that's how I'm convincing myself this is worth the effort!

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Not seen the bill yet, Dave, but I have paid £2k on account as the invoice from the engine builder for drilling the old liners out of the block, making and fitting the new liners, and providing new rings, main bearing shells, all new bolts, head gasket, VAT etc., was just over £2k. I'm expecting to pay another £1k or so for all the work in removing the engine, refitting the new one, new belts, re-gassing the aircon, etc. Also had some other work done on the car (new discs and pads, service, etc.) and am waiting on a new solid flywheel (would have been fitted at the same time, but there's a slight machining problem so will get that fitted later. Probably another £1k.

Still cheaper than the depreciation on a new Ford Focus At least, that's how I'm convincing myself this is worth the effort!
    I kept telliing myself during the LSD/ Gearbox debacle I had this year, with Betsy's quaiffe upgrade project
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Old Fat Git with Grey Beard
    Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Thanked 102,999 Times in 1,826 Posts

So 4500 ish?

I've thought about dropping a 2.4 in if/when mine goes bang but thinking this may actually be a better route
    Any suggestions, information, complaints or grievances relating to this forum please feel free to contact us, talk to a mod or administrator

Cars : 2009 VW Passat CC 140 CR & 2015 VW Golf R. Uploaded Albums. Past Statuses (Or is that Stati?). Past Posts.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by santa20 View Post
    So 4500 ish?

I've thought about dropping a 2.4 in if/when mine goes bang but thinking this may actually be a better route
    I have a full engine with a cracked sleeve - could get that built up to sell to you

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Holy thread resurrection batman what ever happened to mr hunter and his nice engine

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Well, finally got my car back today Ended up finding another engine with only 19k miles and transplanting that. Dropped in the cams from the original engine which had all the timing marks on them. Not given it a run yet, but I'm assured it's running well.

Just need to work out what to do with the old engine. Two thoughts ... 1) Get the block fixed with Darton liners and have a spare engine to play with when the S60R becomes my track car or 2) flog off all the good parts from the original engine, e.g. everything exept the block. Decisions, decisions ...
    Option 2.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Option 2.

note to self....Must check date of thread b4 posting!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thread Information