Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

How good is you're heater?? brrrr

Hi,

Need to gather some information about how good other peoples heaters are in the V70 Phase 2 models...

I have a "Police" estate, 03 plater.... the heater controls are pretty basic, a fan switch, air-con button and termperature control for left and right.

The temperature gauge moves up fairly quick and remains static for all driving conditions... so I don't "think" the thermostat is at fault.

The heater takes ages to "feel" hot, well hot is the wrong word, warm is a better description...

The car inside does eventually get warm, but never gets so warm you have to open the windows...

I wonder what might be wrong, or if it's the way they are??

Maybe this particular model has it like that because the occupants are always "well" dressed and would get hot if it worked like a proper heater!!! - just a thought..

Any hekp out there?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    My Phase 2 T5 starts kicking out warm air very quickly and I usually put the fan on when the temp gauge gets to the first mark on the scale. Rarely have to turn it over fan position 3 and have CC set within 24-26 during the winter.

There was an article on here recently about the temperature beign down on one side of the car - might be worth searching that out for a clue.
    Princepugh

V70 T5 P2

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Umm, interesting....

Does anyone know the internal workings of the thermostat? generall Volvo have wierd and wonderful things, or the thermostat might just be a simple design..

The sympton gives me the thought that the stat has gone, but the gauge appears normal all the time, so I am confused... Other Volvo's and T5's I have had have all had good heaters!!!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...ht=temperature

Is the recent post I was thinking of..
    Princepugh

V70 T5 P2

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Umm, I suppose it could be that both servo motors are faulty!!!

But even air from side vents and windscreen vents are at the same termperature...

roll on Summer....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Of course you're heater matrix could be shot. Does it have AC? If so, consider a clean & re-gas?

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks

This user has no status

Thanks
    volvo heaters have never been good compared to some cars

wanting to get busy with my
    twins, twin zx9r's that is
    Thanks
    beg to differ the really old t5 i have has a belting heater and warms in no time and my old v70 was the same. sounds pretty much to me like heater matrix may be slightly blocked or another cause could be a blocked pollen filter if car is fitted with one. (causes heater to struggle on bmw's if pollen filter is blocked so could be same on volvo)

but knowing my opinion totally wrong
    because it just had to be done

This user has no status
    Thanks
    A T5 heater should be awesome, you have a fault. Thermostats are cheap and should be changed routinely at high miles even if they don't appear on the service schedule. Changing from an 88 degree to a 92 degree will also give a startling improvement.

It may not turn out to be the root cause in this particular situation but it won't hurt.

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abdul View Post
    volvo heaters have never been good compared to some cars
    what????? volvos are swedish ffs a country which has very long and very harsh winters i lived there for two years and -30 wasnt uncommon, therefore they design the heaters to be very good i havent had a volvo yet that didnt have a fantastic heater, very quick to produce warm air and lots of it , if your volvo heater isnt very good then theres a reason

Old Fart
    Weston on the Mud Somerset or in it if you get the tide wrong.
    Thanks
    Sounds like your heater needs a once over, maybe a flush out of the system and a change of thermostat. Before you start with the servos get your rads checked and see if the aircon one is OK.

Christine our V70 T5 chucks out a lot of heat and heats up quickly, so it sounds like a flush of the system would help.
    “If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Did you know the EU says that you can't claim that drinking water prevents dehydration. So now you know for sure what many of have known for years that the EU is run by a bunch of nutters.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    My heater usually belts out hot air within 5 mins of starting the car. I'm only dissapointed with the power of the blowers, I find that they are very weak most of the time.

I'd guess the thermostat is a good shout. The flush of the coolant system may help a lot too.

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

straight5
    This user has no status
    I have always thought my S60 T5 heater is pretty impressive. It is warm within about a minute.
    I have noticed that diesel vehicles seem to take a lot longer to heat up than petrol. Anyone know if this is true.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yes, I think they do, at least that's my experience of diseasal vehicles. There was a thread recently discussing this, I think one of pedro's.
    Chris
    2010 Alfa Romeo 159 JTDm
    2001 V70 T5 SE (RICA 310)
    1997 9000 Aero (Abbotted)

Visit my Rant

This user has no status

Thanks
    I haven't had a heater matrix since november and ice on the inside was a reality during the cold snap. Even with hat, scarf, gloves I had to sit on one hand to stop myself losing feeling and my feet were numb. I'll be installing a new one for next winter!
    2005 (163) V70 D5 SE Premium Pack 130k. 10" sub/Fli amp with Grom audio kit. Shark stage 1 with EGR delete and 320mm discs. Enjoying the comfort and (relative) economy.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by straight5 View Post
    I have always thought my S60 T5 heater is pretty impressive. It is warm within about a minute.
    I have noticed that diesel vehicles seem to take a lot longer to heat up than petrol. Anyone know if this is true.
    Yes this true. It's just the very nature of diesel engines, they ALL take longer to heat up than petrol engines. Totally normal
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Nowt wrong with the heating or fans in my car. 99% of the time i just leave both temp settings on 21 or 22 degrees and the ACC set to 'Auto'. From cold, withing a couple of minutes the fans start to speed up inline with engine warm up and then the windscreen clears very quickly. Then once the car has warmed up and it's all nice and cosy, the fans speed slows down and it remains comfortable.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Ok, so looking back..... It looks like I have a problem, or at least trends are that heaters are ok... I think mine has an issue.... so plane is to flush, new stat, and a hose flush through the matrix... check filters ( if I can find them ) and see where that leads...

Thanks for the tip of a big fleece!!! LOL...

Oh, and yes, Diesels are always cold, which when you're stuck in a traffic jam is a god send, they never overheat, due to running so cold!!!

Thanks chaps.... you're a great help.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wright_t5 View Post
    Ok, so looking back..... It looks like I have a problem, or at least trends are that heaters are ok... I think mine has an issue.... so plane is to flush, new stat, and a hose flush through the matrix... check filters ( if I can find them ) and see where that leads...

Thanks for the tip of a big fleece!!! LOL...

Oh, and yes, Diesels are always cold, which when you're stuck in a traffic jam is a god send, they never overheat, due to running so cold!!!

Thanks chaps.... you're a great help.
    Also don't forget to replace your pollen filter (if you have one). This will have a dramatic affect on the quality and quantity of air coming into the cabin. If it is a charcoal filter then it will look grey anyway. If in any doubt - change it. I replace mine every year in the spring so i know my air con will be working to it's full potential. Misty windows are a PITA.

Thread Information