Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Noise from front wheel 855r

Hello all,

Over the last week have noticed a noise getting worse from the front nearside wheel. In a straight line its fine but anything off that sounds a bit like a rubbing noise. which seems speed related. it's on both locks as I found after doing a few laps of the local roundabouts. had wheel off tonight and can't see any rub but noticed inner inch of tyre has worn really badly on both fronts.

Tried rocking wheel about when up on jack but could not feel any movement. luckily I bought a couple of volans with new tyres the other night and put these on but did not make a bit of difference. Obviously the tracking seems way out but would this cause a noise or do you think ball joints, it does seem to squirm around on the road a bit.

Sorry to rabble on but it's m.o.t time next month so want to get it sorted before the new tyres wear away! It's a 855R by the way.

Any ideas ?? Cheers, Alan.

your mars a welder

Thanks
    could be a wheel bearing m8 , as i had 1 on its way out was okay in a straight line but any corner sounded as the wheel was going to fall off lol , i was told they were a nightmare to fix as the bearing has to be pressed in and out off the hub , but you can get a replacement part that just bolts in the hub lol 80quid a think , other than that make sure the **** guard the stops muck hittin the disk isnt touchen the hub or rubbing anywhere as this can cause a squeak, and if ya pads are low they can make nosie aswell

3. The Following User Says Thank You to leet5r For This Useful Post:

alanscottgraham (Friday 12th February 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks, pads good, gaurd fine, I was thinking bearing too after a bit more research last night. Ill look into parts. Cheers, alan

your mars a welder

Thanks
    av done al of them on mine like lol , was a bit worried about the bearing like cos its a rite pig to get in and out , but you can but a full bearing kit that just bolts into the hub, i got mine from andrew page a think

6. The Following User Says Thank You to leet5r For This Useful Post:

alanscottgraham (Saturday 13th February 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks

Noise from front wheel

Quote Originally Posted by alanscottgraham View Post
    Hello all,

Over the last week have noticed a noise getting worse from the front nearside wheel. In a straight line its fine but anything off that sounds a bit like a rubbing noise. which seems speed related. it's on both locks as I found after doing a few laps of the local roundabouts. had wheel off tonight and can't see any rub but noticed inner inch of tyre has worn really badly on both fronts.

Tried rocking wheel about when up on jack but could not feel any movement. luckily I bought a couple of volans with new tyres the other night and put these on but did not make a bit of difference. Obviously the tracking seems way out but would this cause a noise or do you think ball joints, it does seem to squirm around on the road a bit.

Sorry to rabble on but it's m.o.t time next month so want to get it sorted before the new tyres wear away! It's a 855R by the way.

Any ideas ?? Cheers, Alan.
    Alan

Sounds like a wheel bearing . Ive got the same problems on mine ... Well just one now the noisey bearing.

My tyres were wearing a lot like yours and the car was all over the place handling wise ... I got some new tyres fitted and had a computerized 4 wheel alignment check done.

I took my car to Elite Tyres in Rainham ...they have the Hunter system .I got a print out before and after and all of my wheels were out on either toe in or camber , some had both out !

Its all sorted now and the car drives brilliant. Im just keeping an eye on the bearing now:-(

Hope you get your car sorted mate

Rich
    Last edited by Clan998; Friday 12th February 2010 at 23:08.
    1996 855 R
    1995 855 T5
    1968 Califorian Imp

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Clan998 For This Useful Post:

alanscottgraham (Saturday 13th February 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for replies, it's being double checked on Monday just to confirm its bearing, I'm convinced now.

Going to try and find a local wheel alignment place as soon as thats sorted, it does handle a bit weirdly too so hoping that may help.

I'm guessing this is a bit more advanced than the local tyre place laser alignment service??

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alanscottgraham View Post
    Thanks everyone for replies, it's being double checked on Monday just to confirm its bearing, I'm convinced now.

Going to try and find a local wheel alignment place as soon as thats sorted, it does handle a bit weirdly too so hoping that may help.

I'm guessing this is a bit more advanced than the local tyre place laser alignment service??

Yeah it is .....Have a look at this link http://www.elitedirect.com/WheelAlig...Alignment.html
    1996 855 R
    1995 855 T5
    1968 Califorian Imp

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Clan998 For This Useful Post:

alanscottgraham (Monday 15th February 2010)

Thread Information