Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Smile engine oil type 2.3 t5

hi all,

had look under the bonnet today and noticed a sticker saying " use castrol s-tec oil only" or similar type of castrol. Been put there by police workshop and i can only assume that its there coz the cops may top it up between services.

but is this the correct oil for T5 and will it make a difference using another type?

Also it says "level should be 1/4 inch below max when cold" i take it this is because they kicked its head in and if full to max it would wind up coming back up the breathers, any thoughts appreciated!
    Last edited by steveo82; Saturday 20th February 2010 at 21:02. Reason: info change

This user has no status
    Thanks
    2001 T5 needs semi synthetic 10w40. Anything this spec or higher would do fine.

The received wisdom is to use Valvoline SynPower 5w40, this being a fully synthetic which easily lasts the 12k or 12 month service interval, along with a Hengst or Mahle filter. Other good quality oils would be Castrol Magnatec and Mobil 1 etc.

If you're on a budget then Comma and Carlube will do fine also.

HTH

J

"Sgt. Butterman? Little hand says it's time to rock'n'roll!"
    "Bring the noise!"

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by v70torslanda View Post
    2001 T5 needs semi synthetic 10w40. Anything this spec or higher would do fine.

The received wisdom is to use Valvoline SynPower 5w40, this being a fully synthetic which easily lasts the 12k or 12 month service interval, along with a Hengst or Mahle filter. Other good quality oils would be Castrol Magnatec and Mobil 1 etc.

If you're on a budget then Comma and Carlube will do fine also.

HTH

J
    yeah spot on mate, just needed to confirm my thoughts that surely an engine can use any oil as long as its the correct grade

many thanks mate

This user has no status
    Thanks

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by steveo82 View Post
    yeah spot on mate, just needed to confirm my thoughts that surely an engine can use any oil as long as its the correct grade

many thanks mate
    The Correct grades all good and fine, but depending on your style of driving, a better quality oil is going to offer better protection and last longer than an inferior brand!
    Never heard of keeping the oil level below max on dipstick, hot or cold! not recomended! what happens during hard cornering and on hills when oil runs away from pick up pipe/strainer in sump even if there's a baffle in sump to help overcome this???
    Best use the best you can afford and keep level to manufacturers spec!!!!
    Any chance it's an Auto and that applies to Gearbox auto transmission oil level???????
    Last edited by mexybhouy; Sunday 21st February 2010 at 22:34.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I've been using SynPower 5W40 for 54,000 miles now (changed over at the magic 100k mark) and it still uses very little oil between changes. Good choice of oil.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dave stew View Post
    I've been using SynPower 5W40 for 54,000 miles now (changed over at the magic 100k mark) and it still uses very little oil between changes. Good choice of oil.
    thanks for your advice mate, no its a manual on that side of things but i agree about the level ive always filled it up to the max mark, weird!

i will get some quality stuff and flush it when i change the oil and use a decent filter too

thanks again for the advice dave

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Mine's a manual too - I meant between oil changes, not gear changes!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dave stew For This Useful Post:

cornclose (Saturday 27th February 2010)

Thread Information