Join Today

Thread: Lambda Light

This user has no status

Thanks

Lambda Light

Hey guys, I'm new to the whole Volvo thing, and I picked up a 1996 850 T5 auto wagon last week and it has the lambda light on.

From what I've read, this is to do with the emissions, am I correct? And would indicate either a shot lambda sensor or MAF sensor I am guessing as they're the only parts associated with the emissions systems.

With regards to the lambda sensors, as they're going to be cheaper to replace than the MAF sensor, I have only really found the front ones online? Are there 2 lambda sensors on the 850's? A front (pre-cat) and rear (post-cat) sensor? If so, which one is the one more common to fail?

Cheers

This user has no status

Thanks
    i have a 1998 v70r and had the same problem turned out to be nowt but a fault on the system somewhere , got it reset and away i went .... then it came back , so i took the battery lead off for a short while and hey presto it went again ... if the car drives fine then dont worry , if it doesnt then go see the bank manager and prey ..... good luck fella ...
    ]

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thing drives like a charm, does about 20mpg on average, and that's about a 65 / 35 split of town / highway driving which I was under the impression was normal for one of these, especially the T5.

I can fix most things on cars either myself or at a mate's garage so doesn't cost me too much at all (I have friends who run scrap yards so I get bargains there too) but it helped with bartering the guy down on the price lol

Cheers man

This user has no status
    Thanks
    My lambdas been on for ages...but then I'm running a remap and a MBC (coughs) but the car runs great and I've done about 10K miles with that set up. The lambda came on when an intercooler pipe blew off the turbo so not reallya problem. Best thing is to get the codes read to be on the safe side bud

in dilema near ilford
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_C View Post
    Hey guys, I'm new to the whole Volvo thing, and I picked up a 1996 850 T5 auto wagon last week and it has the lambda light on.

From what I've read, this is to do with the emissions, am I correct? And would indicate either a shot lambda sensor or MAF sensor I am guessing as they're the only parts associated with the emissions systems.

With regards to the lambda sensors, as they're going to be cheaper to replace than the MAF sensor, I have only really found the front ones online? Are there 2 lambda sensors on the 850's? A front (pre-cat) and rear (post-cat) sensor? If so, which one is the one more common to fail?

Cheers
    thing to do is get the codes read before you go doing any money, and on my 95 t5 there is only one lambda sensor.got mine of these guys............................... http://www.lambdasensor.com/main/volvo.htm
    Last edited by 5seaterT5x2; Saturday 6th February 2010 at 09:58.

Needs more boost
    Thanks
    i suspect the little rubber vacuum pipe elbow has come off the left side of manifold.
    your mpg figures are the same as mine when i bought it, it's worth a try, but it is fiddly to get to.
    good luck

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    as its a 1996 i'm guessing you won't have the under bonnet diagnostics so this'll help read the codes, no point replacing anything there are many reasons the light could be on

LINK

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by danny-R View Post
    i suspect the little rubber vacuum pipe elbow has come off the left side of manifold.
    your mpg figures are the same as mine when i bought it, it's worth a try, but it is fiddly to get to.
    good luck
    Had a quick look and can't see any pipes come off on the manifold. Where abouts is it? Just on the left hand side or is it down below other stuff?

Cheers

Needs more boost
    Thanks
    as you look at the engine from the front, its on the left side of the manifold .

somebody on here kindly put a pic up to show me, will try to find it now.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...manifold+elbow

not my thread but just to give you an idea.....
    Last edited by danny-R; Saturday 6th February 2010 at 14:17.

This user has no status

Thanks
    That's cool, cheers man. I didn't spot anything round there, but I did spot that there was a vac line off the MAF sensor so I reckon that'd probably do it.

Do I need to disconnect the ECU / battery with these cars to do a reset on the system? Reason I ask is cos the light is still on.

Cheers.

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Remove the ecu over night and it should reset itself

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    Cool, cheers man. Newbie question time.................where is the ECU??

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_C View Post
    Cool, cheers man. Newbie question time.................where is the ECU??
    drivers side in the box behind the headlight, the engine ECU is in the middle slot out of the 3

you might have a metal strap securing the box lid down, simply drill out the pop-rivet

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Yip as pedro saidd before ............

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    Awesome, cheers man, will try and get the rivet thing out tomorrow. It's not a pop rivet in mine, but a round headed bolt that's rusty as hell (unless that's what it's supposed to be) but will try and get that out tomorrow before I go to work so I can take the ECU out tomorrow night

Ooooooh, daaammnn, that's a clean engine!!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazy_C For This Useful Post:

cameron (Sunday 7th February 2010)

Thread Information