Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Unhappy 03' S60 D5 - Crankshaft Oil seal FAIL

As title suggests, having a nightmare...
    Car was serviced and very next day report back from the Mrs suggests 'a bit of oil in the car park' at work.

Not convinced I collected the car at lunchtime, took it to local garage, over the pit - bottom of car drenched in brand new oil!!

More oil added as all but empty at this point, engine started - running like a tap from the drain hole in the bell housing...

My question why is it necessary to remove the engine and gearbox to get the bell housing off, it seems a bit ridiculous.
    VOLVO

Anyway now your all sharing in my misery - anything else i should check and or replace prior to reassembly?

Also autodata says 6 hours remove and refit, is this possible without a small team of mechanics (probably trained in the F1 or WRC world)????

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Meanwhile the trusty 96' T5 lives on in all its glory (frantically touching my head as its made of wood)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    You not only have to replace the seal but also find out the reason it failed in the first place. Blocked breathers and/or PCV valve may have caused the crankcase pressure to blow the seal.

A close look at the clutch assembly (if its a manual) as it could be contaminated with oil and don't fiddle with the concentric slave cylinder while it's disconnected 'cos it could fail when you put it back meaning you have to remove the box again to fix it.

BTW do you really have to remove the engine and trans as a unit then split it off the car? Can it not be done by supporting the engine from above then removing the subframe followed by the gearbox?

"Sgt. Butterman? Little hand says it's time to rock'n'roll!"
    "Bring the noise!"

This user has no status
    Thanks

Question

Quote Originally Posted by v70torslanda View Post
    You not only have to replace the seal but also find out the reason it failed in the first place. Blocked breathers and/or PCV valve may have caused the crankcase pressure to blow the seal.

A close look at the clutch assembly (if its a manual) as it could be contaminated with oil and don't fiddle with the concentric slave cylinder while it's disconnected 'cos it could fail when you put it back meaning you have to remove the box again to fix it.

BTW do you really have to remove the engine and trans as a unit then split it off the car? Can it not be done by supporting the engine from above then removing the subframe followed by the gearbox?
    Any chance you can shed some light on the PCV Valve please?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheT6Kid View Post
    Any chance you can shed some light on the PCV Valve please?
    Been wondering about that meself, haven't found it yet - it might not be there on the D5 engine - and I may have to resort to buying a Haynes manual to be certain.

PCV (positive crancase ventilation) valve is a device which allows the crancase to ventilate without it spewing its oil out everywhere. If it sticks or fails then the pressure builds up in the block as the gasses can't escape. The resulting block pressure escapes wherever it can and the oil vents with it.

Make sense?

"Bring the noise!"

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Anyone know if a D5 motor has the aforementioned PCV Valve fitted?
    Any help greatly appreciated...

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    I would have thought so. It should also have a recirc valve ( sort of a dv or blow off valve ).

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    I would have thought so. It should also have a recirc valve ( sort of a dv or blow off valve ).
    I wouldn't have thought that a dv would have anything to do with oil leaks, thobut?

"Bring the noise!"

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Not really matey

Just thought id let him know

Also the last Crank seal we done we didnt have to drop the engine or box out we just unbolted them from each other and pulled the box over towards the wheel arch.

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

This user has no status
    Thanks

Not the cranshaft oil seal after all!

The small aperture above the crankshaft, has a small, what appears to be core plug, when the box was split from the engine this plug was found to be sideways in the aperture, not great for keeping the oil inside the engine.
    What the hole is for is a mystery and why it decided to 'give up' is also a mystery.

Either way the sub-frame engine and gearbox are sat on a bench underneath the car looking a little bit like this...

in dilema near ilford
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheT6Kid View Post

The small aperture above the crankshaft, has a small, what appears to be core plug, when the box was split from the engine this plug was found to be sideways in the aperture, not great for keeping the oil inside the engine.
    What the hole is for is a mystery and why it decided to 'give up' is also a mystery.

Either way the sub-frame engine and gearbox are sat on a bench underneath the car looking a little bit like this...

but why did it suddenly go day after service? bit of a coincidence? did they overfill it or summat? good luck anyway

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Found some other info on it

See post #2 here
    http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?p=624481

Seems to be a common thing
    http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?p=344951

And look under "what to watch out for" heading half way down this page, 5th paragraph down
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=465

If the garage did something to block the pcv system up.

And I've found a Volvo update that is about replacing the rubber coated core plugs with metal ones, so they must have known about it. Seems to affect all pre 2004 D5 engines
    Last edited by Dangerous Dave; Wednesday 3rd February 2010 at 00:37.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

TheT6Kid (Thursday 4th February 2010)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Good research b182!

I guess its a good idea to get these changed as a matter of course.
    And keep the Crank pressure relief valve clean or replace regularly.

cheers

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JG220 View Post
    Good research b182!

I guess its a good idea to get these changed as a matter of course.
    And keep the Crank pressure relief valve clean or replace regularly.

cheers
    Believe me this is not something you want to get done as 'matter of course' It is a very labour intensive job for a £2 part. trust me if you have a D5 MY04 or older just hope for the best....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Lots of people mentioned PCV and crankcase pressure relief valves. Anyone know if a D5 motor has one and if it has, where the thing is?

Thread Information