Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Is it sunny yet

Thanks

new guy and need help lol

hi guys new on here. Anyways looking at buying a 850r and came across a nice one but its an auto. Now the big Q i'm thinking a manual would be better but having not driven an auto how are they to drive and how is the power delivery. only reason for asking is that the car is 500 miles from me so its a long way just to find they are poo.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi there and a very warm welcome.

I've had my old girl since 2002 and she's been great. Had an issue with the Starter motor and the MAF Sensor through the years but on the Auto front, no probs at all.
    I've woken mine up a little over the years so she's alot quicker now. When standard, she could be a little stubborn to get up and go and sometimes the boost/gear selection can be a little confused. That said, I've not regretted getting an Auto. Other members may beg to differ though!

Woody.
    Owned since 2002. '96 Green 855-R, Manual M56H conversion by Russ @ RT Mech, 82mm rebore, THS Rods, Wiseco Piston kit, Decked Block, Machine work was completed by: www.mandjltd.co.uk, Refurbed head inc skim & 8 new valves, ME7 Ex Manifold, RICA304, Forge Blanking plate, 302mm set-up, PowerFlex Top & Bottom, Front Strut Brace, Miltek Cat-Back, R.I.P, IPD Cone Filter.

Latest update: 10000 miles as at 19/05/13.

To do: Lots (but don't tell Mrs Woody!)

How do i change my avatar!
    bummed

Thanks
    Smooth , hard n fast! simple.

Is it sunny yet

Thanks
    thanks guys a really like the look of the car the auto part is the only thing putting me off.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Welcome mate......Go 4 it!! Autos are GR8..:-)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have a v70 se t5 auto and I love it, I have previously owned a c70 t5 and a v70r. Both were manual's.
    My auto is big comfy and lazy when it wants to be, great in traffic and when you want it to move a bit it is superb, it kicks down great in either sports or economy mode and lights up the tyres!
    If its your first auto try and blag a drive in one first because its a strange sensation at first not changing gear and some people find it a bit un-involving. You can be the only one who can decide if you like it as everyone is different.
    I love mine though...
    good luck with whatever you decide.
    Last edited by phil_woods; Friday 29th January 2010 at 21:10. Reason: i cant spell for toffee

1998 Toyota previa 2.4 LPG
    7 seats and still room for my dog
    Not as quick as my old t5 though!

God I miss her...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Where abouts are you in the country they maybe a very kind member near you with an auto that could give you a try to see how you like it

Old Fart
    Weston on the Mud Somerset or in it if you get the tide wrong.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crissymck View Post
    thanks guys a really like the look of the car the auto part is the only thing putting me off.
    to the nut house. Don't let an auto put you off, I have driven both auto and manual and love them both. At the moment we have two autos as you can see in the picture.

The 850 is a gem, runs like a dream and gives us no major problems.
    Once you have tried an auto you'll wonder why you worried about them.

The first auto I drove was a Volvo 240 saloon that belonged to a Greek hairdresser that lived next door to me in Brum. After I got out I wondered what all the fuss was about.

Nice and smooth and fun to drive, give one a try and see how you feel.

Mrs PA had never driven an auto until she had a go in a Volvo 760 GLE and she has never looked back. Well only when she's pulling out, to see what's coming anyway.
    Last edited by Porcine_Aviator; Friday 29th January 2010 at 23:15.
    “If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Did you know the EU says that you can't claim that drinking water prevents dehydration. So now you know for sure what many of have known for years that the EU is run by a bunch of nutters.

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    You could always just buy my T-5R instead, that's a manual....
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

This user has no status
    Thanks
    thats a shamless plug tc lol

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    I'm through with being subtle,lol I'd just like to sell the damn thing now,lol.

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i just wish i had one that worked atm

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by callyuk View Post
    i just wish i had one that worked atm
    Buy mine, that works......Lol!!......(Never give me an opportunity)

Previous cars:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    lol mate iv only just got the money to sort my own and the wife's moaning at me for that.
    anyway iv dragged this thread far enough away from the original topic so lets get back on track.
    Like i said there maybe someone near you willing to give you a try of an auto but we need to know where you are. I love my auto its very smooth and the power delivery was much better than i ever expected from one as i was weary at first too when buying it

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Bugger that by a manual!!,lol.......

Appologies for de railing your thread for my own selfish needs, auto's are ok, they're nearly as good as manuals, if you like that sort of thing. Seriously though, I'm sure someone near you will give you a ride in an auto so you can decide for yourself.

Previous cars:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Ok,one more time,if your'e not sure about an auto,just buy Craig's,lovely example.(Hope this helps.........lol)
    get in,shut-up and hold on.

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Ive had both manual and auto T5's and i love them both.

They both have their good points, really just depends on your style of driving and where you live.

If you live in a city or largely built up area an auto would be easier, the clutches can get heavy after a bit of stop start traffic jams, but brill on the open road when you can rev the nuts off them in every gear.

The auto's are brill in traffic and have the added bonus of still being quick when you floor it and in sports mode it red lines in all 4 gears, if you have a private road long enough

Think about your style of driving and then try and get a drive in both, im sure there would be a few accommodating lads on here more than willing to let you try their car out.

Good luck matey

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    hi guys new on here. Anyways looking at buying a 850r and came across a nice one but its an auto. Now the big Q i'm thinking a manual would be better but having not driven an auto how are they to drive and how is the power delivery. only reason for asking is that the car is 500 miles from me so its a long way just to find they are poo.
    Hi and buy it, i don't like auto's, but when i had my T-5 auto i was in love with it, i miss it so much, one heck of a fine / fun car, good luck :0)
    Mreg blue T-5 turbo 2.3 standard

Need more power but cant afford it !, very happy with what i have though.
    7 seat conversion
    Roof rails
    Apexi air filter
    V70 rear lights
    Forge blanky
    Bailey DV26
    TURBOSMART MEGASONIC DUMP VALVE
    Type R MBC [manual boost control] fitted
    Powerflex top engine mount [bad ass mod]
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/album.php?u=3570
    Wanted....RICA....RICA..so want one

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin4878 View Post
    Smooth , hard n fast! simple.
    Yes no doubt, but he wants to know what is an 850R with an auto box like!
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    It all depends what you prefer. For out and out performance on the open road the manual is the only way forward simply because you can brake more effectively on the engine - and with the brakes on a standard R, believe me, you need all the braking you can get. That said, although the auto does not have the ultimate in performance compared to the manual, it makes for a laid back drive with LOTS of kickdown. If you are a speed freak, then you will probably only ever want a manual, but you do get a lot for not much with an auto R these days. Get an estate too.

Whatever you do, take someone with you if you do go a long way. The temptation is always to think that as you have gone so far you should buy it - the reality is, buy in haste, repent at leisure on the journey home!
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

Thread Information