Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Hi all, help needed!!!

Hi every1,

Ive just recently joined the forum, find it very helpful!!

I do have a few problems and was wondering if anyone could help me in anyway.

I have a volvo c70 t5, 1998.

Everytime i go over a slight bump, there is a squeaking/slight rattling noise coming from the drivers side wheel. I have had somone look at it and they say its the "shocker top bush"?!? but they dont know if it is that for 100%?
    Anyone have any ides what it is?

Also, just a few days ago, the heater lets out a weird smelling smoke whenever the temperature is set to high. Its ok if the setting is at its coolest/when the air con. is on, any suggestions?!?

The lambda light is also on, the previous owner told me that i could replace something in the exhaust which would take the light out and would cost me £60ish, but the light would in time come on again as there is a fault in the light itself?!!? Is this true, is ther any point in me getting it sorted and does this effect the power at all?

Last but not least, where is the cheapest place to buy some decent pads+discs all round for my volvo.

Phew, that was a mission!

I would appreciate any help+advice anyone has to give,

Thanks

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    The front suspension strut consists of a shock which bolts to the hub assembly at the bottom via two big bolts into the steering knuckle of the hub assembly and a spring.
    The shock AKA damper consists of a gas/oil filled cylinder with a rod sticking out the top. Internally the vertical movement of that rod is retarded by the oil/gas much like a bicycle pump or syringe when you hold your finger over the end.

The bottom of the spring sits in a metal spring seat which is part of the shock and the top which sits in a thick rubber spring seat. The bush is the middle bit which the top end of the damper (the rod bit) goes through. The spring is compressed between the top and bottom seats and held in place by way of a big nut that clamps/compresses the spring.
    This pic shows the splines which the top mount spring then articulates with a bearing which allows the whole assembly to rotate when steering. This top mount bearing has the three bolts which you see poking out the top of the suspension turret inside the engine

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/volvogaller...l_DSCF0056.JPG

What tends to happen over time is that the central bush in the top mount spring seat separates from the rest of the seat.
    Here is a pic of my busted top mount Spring seat that came off when I did my suspenders..

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/volvogaller...l_DSCF0057.JPG

This gives banging noises going over bumps because the shaft of the bush moves relative to the rest of the spring seat rather than the usual oscillation of the spring & damper.

Hope this helps.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Lamdba light - get the fault codes read first and go from there
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Strange smelling smoke.

Could it just be that your heaters have been used infrequently recently so there has been a build up of dust on the heater element / matrix? If so, the smell should go after a little bit of use.

Is the smoke visible? Does it do it every time you turn the heat up and does it do it constantly or only when you first turn the heat up?

Regards

Andy

Suspended
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by c70 t5
    Hi every1,

Ive just recently joined the forum, find it very helpful!!

I do have a few problems and was wondering if anyone could help me in anyway.

I have a volvo c70 t5, 1998.

Everytime i go over a slight bump, there is a squeaking/slight rattling noise coming from the drivers side wheel. I have had somone look at it and they say its the "shocker top bush"?!? but they dont know if it is that for 100%?
    Anyone have any ides what it is?

Also, just a few days ago, the heater lets out a weird smelling smoke whenever the temperature is set to high. Its ok if the setting is at its coolest/when the air con. is on, any suggestions?!?

The lambda light is also on, the previous owner told me that i could replace something in the exhaust which would take the light out and would cost me £60ish, but the light would in time come on again as there is a fault in the light itself?!!? Is this true, is ther any point in me getting it sorted and does this effect the power at all?

Last but not least, where is the cheapest place to buy some decent pads+discs all round for my volvo.

Phew, that was a mission!

I would appreciate any help+advice anyone has to give,

Thanks
    Shocker tops are about£23 each, any auto electrician should have an OBD2 code reader, get the faults read then share it on here, theres plenty of threads on brakes etc if u look around.

GoodLuck.

This user has no status

Thanks
    thanks for all the info everyone, but im still confused as to what i need to fix the problem!!!

Do i need to buy "shocker tops"?? will that sort out the problem?

Also, the smoke coming out of the heater is visible, and is there when the heat is turned up and not when the setting is on cool/ac.

Thanks every1 once again and please excuse me for sounding so dumb!!

Pretty new to all this ca stuff, im sure i'll learn in time, seems like theres a good set of teachers round here!!!!!!

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    If you are local to me, then I will happily show you the ropes.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Thread Information