Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Question I broke it...... but what have i broke???

Was driving home from work yesterday, had a little puff of blue out the back..... checked mirror 2 mins later and am laying down enough fog to hide the QE2.... bugger!!!
    The car has been using a bit of oil of late, but the water level remains the same. Took the boost pipe off the intercooler to see if any oil came through that when running, and i get a puff on start up, but it cuts out. Still getting a grey/white smoke/steam out the back too....... so my question is have i blown the turbo or the head gasket or is it something else????

Any help will be greatfully appriciated.

The car is a 2000 plate S60 T5, completely standard. 153k on clock.

Ta!

Old Fart
    Weston on the Mud Somerset or in it if you get the tide wrong.
    Thanks
    Grey/White suggests Head gasket.
    Check the header tank for mayo like substance, that's oil in the water.
    This happens when the gasket splits and oil gets into the water ways, this then gets churned around and mixed up like mayonnaise, and it sticks to the header tanks filler cap.

You will also find it stuck on the bottom of the dipstick.

It could be a head off and new gasket if there's mayo.

Blue/White could be you have lost a piston ring, this is what it sounds like when you say she has been using a lot of oil lately.

This would pour Blue/White smoke out of the rear end and if that's the case then either doing a top off, or dropping the sump depends on who's doing it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

But get it checked and I could be wrong.
    Last edited by Porcine_Aviator; Sunday 24th January 2010 at 13:09.
    “If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Did you know the EU says that you can't claim that drinking water prevents dehydration. So now you know for sure what many of have known for years that the EU is run by a bunch of nutters.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Porcine_Aviator For This Useful Post:

gwammli (Sunday 24th January 2010)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Checked the dip-stick and the oil filler cap.... nothing except oil. But when its was running there was a bit of smoke coming out of both. But now it wont run properly, hunting on tickover and the enigne management light is on..... think its gonna have to be a trip to the local dealer.... this has got expensive written all over it

Old Fart
    Weston on the Mud Somerset or in it if you get the tide wrong.
    Thanks
    Check your plugs to see if they are oily, does the oil on the dipstick look burnt?

This would mean that the oil is burning inside the engine.

If it's clean then it's not the rings, but I can't say 100% and I think that the best bet would be to have someone take a look.

Just noticed this was my 1000th post LOL
    Last edited by Porcine_Aviator; Sunday 24th January 2010 at 13:31. Reason: Added text
    “If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Did you know the EU says that you can't claim that drinking water prevents dehydration. So now you know for sure what many of have known for years that the EU is run by a bunch of nutters.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Porcine_Aviator For This Useful Post:

gwammli (Sunday 24th January 2010),thebadger (Sunday 24th January 2010)

Lawnmower Boy
    Now known as WAPAHO!!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,162 Posts
    if you've chucked so much whiteish smoke out of the exhaust that you disappear inside it, then it'll be the turbo..

Get your cylinders pressure tested anyway to verify that your engine is ok..

Current Garage:
    1997 960 3.0L 24v - Polestar...(Honest guv..!!)
    1997 855 T5 S - stripped to 1300kgs gross weight - 14.2sec qtr(rank 17*)
    2001 V40 T4 SE - 14.199@100.15MPH - Hybrid Turbo/VXR injectors and DeCat(Rank 15*)
    *Data Sept 2013
    Any Stuff For Sale - check out my Ebay link

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JUDGENINJA For This Useful Post:

gwammli (Sunday 24th January 2010),Porcine_Aviator (Sunday 24th January 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yeah I'd say turbo seals mate, it leaks oil into the exhaust which then blows alot of smoke.

As the T5 came to a lonesome end

Its just the V70 2.5 10 valve SE, pictured here with the 2 people that make life worth living, my babies.

Needs a wash Image taken in the beautiful Malin head, Irelands most northerly point.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvoturboman For This Useful Post:

gwammli (Sunday 24th January 2010),Porcine_Aviator (Sunday 24th January 2010)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks all for the help, its going into a garage tomorrow morning for compression checks and for them to give it a look to.... will keep you posted.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I agree with the Judge.

The fact that it happened at speed suggests the turbo, if the oil return or one of the pipes has cracked/seal ring has popped, you would lose oil & get blue smoke above 3k on the revs, but still get some smoke below that just from the burning oil in the exhaust.
    Last edited by thebadger; Sunday 24th January 2010 at 19:47.

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    A similar thing happened to be when I drove an x-type jag diesel. I lost power, looked behind and could see masses of smoke. Being a complete pleb I thought oh well ill drive it home. By the time I got home I had burnt all the oil and pop went the engine!
    oops
    oh well it was only a jag!

1998 Toyota previa 2.4 LPG
    7 seats and still room for my dog
    Not as quick as my old t5 though!

God I miss her...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to phil_woods For This Useful Post:

gazbak1 (Tuesday 26th January 2010)

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    A problem I had was the bottom seal on the oil return pipe has split, and was spraying oil all over the back of the engine and onto the exhaust causing a huge plume of smoke to come out the back. Obviously the way to check this is to have a quick look underneath, and you'll see a oil residue on all the underbody rear of the sump down the centreline. Another way to tell is there would be smoke coming from the back of the engine from the oil sprayed onto the manifold and exhaust
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    ^
    I had mine replaced in the last big overhaul.

Common fault on the later P1/early P2 2.3lt T5's.

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks to all for help and advice. I took the car to the local garage i use, but when i started it in the morning, no smoke at all just the engine management light. They plugged it into their diagnostics and it came back with code P1238 boost sensor.... ahd that reset and the car is going fine, no probs now at all...........

Thread Information