Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

safe bhp, torque

how far is it safe to go befor the rods bend? im gonna rebuild the engine end of the year but i dont wanna double buy tunning parts and i want some more power now and my turbo is on its last legs so its gonna need to b uprateed soon

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Its not really about the power but how it comes in.
    Read the pistons are good for 400bhp,rods maybe 350bhp as long as the boost is not all in one lump,weak point is between 2k to 3k rpm.

http://www.terrabear-newfoundlands.co.uk/
    You always come back to what you know !!!
    13.8@ 103mph fastest forum 850 in 2010 Running 286bhp(former owner)

This user has no status

Thanks
    k cool wot turbo do u think i should go for i want to end up with about 400 after the rebuild and other tunning
    will i have to replace then upgrade or could i upgrade it just turn the boost down for now?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by woking rob View Post
    k cool wot turbo do u think i should go for i want to end up with about 400 after the rebuild and other tunning
    will i have to replace then upgrade or could i upgrade it just turn the boost down for now?
    If your looking for 400bhp you will need a gt turbo or somthing bigger than a 19t,but it wont be a straight forward fit,bigger injectors and 3"downpipe and stuff.
    You can run all this on a stock engine not a problem but will only be able to run low boost.

This user has no status
    Thanks

how far is it safe to go befor the rods bend? im gonna rebuild the engine end of the year but i dont wanna double buy tunning parts and i want some more power now and my turbo is on its last legs so its gonna need to b uprateed soon
    i think its more a point of is there much point trying to get huge amounts of power from a front wheel drive car..........
    all your doing is leaving a longer black line on the road

6. The Following User Says Thank You to t5 stealth For This Useful Post:

Jamest5r (Friday 22nd January 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnash2002 View Post
    If your looking for 400bhp you will need a gt turbo or somthing bigger than a 19t,but it wont be a straight forward fit,bigger injectors and 3"downpipe and stuff.
    You can run all this on a stock engine not a problem but will only be able to run low boost.
    what is the point of spending loads of money on bigger turbos etc on a stock engine and running low boost you might aswell put a 16/18/19t on and turn up the boost and save money

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smithy View Post
    what is the point of spending loads of money on bigger turbos etc on a stock engine and running low boost you might aswell put a 16/18/19t on and turn up the boost and save money
    I think he asking if he can get the stuff to run 400bhp on the car now before he gets his engine rebuilt at the end of the year.
    No probs with running a set up for 400bhp at less boost on a standard engine.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    anyone can run 400 bhp at the topend on a stock engine with no torque .my point is whats the point of running 400 bhp on that setup if a 300 bhp will kick its ass all the time if setup properly .as i always say its not always about bhp its about how it drives on the road that counts .with the right setup of engine and gearbox the t5 can be a very fast car

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smithy View Post
    anyone can run 400 bhp at the topend on a stock engine with no torque .my point is whats the point of running 400 bhp on that setup if a 300 bhp will kick its ass all the time if setup properly .as i always say its not always about bhp its about how it drives on the road that counts .with the right setup of engine and gearbox the t5 can be a very fast car
    Lol if you read into the posts woking rob wants to get 400bhp,he gona rebuild his engine at the end of the year,his turbo is on the way out now so he wants to know if he can fit turbo and other stuff on the stock motor for now untill he gets the engine sorted,he also said he doesnt want to double buy stuff,so why would he get say a 19t now run it with that then sell on again and get the bigger turbo once the engine is all sorted.
    I would get the turbo and stuff for 400bhp fit it then run lower boost so to run say 320bhp then once engine is sorted turn the boost up and away you go.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnash2002 View Post
    Lol if you read into the posts woking rob wants to get 400bhp,he gona rebuild his engine at the end of the year,his turbo is on the way out now so he wants to know if he can fit turbo and other stuff on the stock motor for now untill he gets the engine sorted,he also said he doesnt want to double buy stuff,so why would he get say a 19t now run it with that then sell on again and get the bigger turbo once the engine is all sorted.
    I would get the turbo and stuff for 400bhp fit it then run lower boost so to run say 320bhp then once engine is sorted turn the boost up and away you go.
    spot on m8 wot turbo do u think i will need? will it b a custom manifold? and would it b possible to run a exturnal wastgate i love the chatter they make

and as for wheel spin i will just have to sort the diff out and get some wider wheels and some wickid tyers and race logic tc if need be

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Unless you do all of that AND the suspension AND run slicks you're still gonna get horrendous wheelspin... but it'll be fun
    Alastair
    Current: 2009 Cayenne GTS and a 2016 Prius IV... yes.
    Previous Volvos: 2009 V50 D5 R-Design, 2005 V70R, 2001 V70 T5, 2001 S40 T4, 2x 1999 S40 T4, 2003 V40 T4, 1999 V70 T5, 1996 854 T5 & 855 T5, 1995 855 T5, and a 480...
    Previous other stuff: Saxo Turbo, 2004 996 C4S, 2008 Z4M, 2001 Yaris T-Sport, 2002 S2000 Mugen, and a 1999 Evo VI

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    also rob what budget do you have the reason i ask is many people seem to think there going to make there car 400bhp for example and then realise theres alot of work involved and the cost of parts and mapping can be extreamily expensive.
    if you were going to fit a garrett gt30r that would set you back the best part of £1000 then a custom d/p rc or alike injectors and i would deffinalt get the rods done and possibly pistons.
    Also remember the more power you run the better braking and suspension will be needed

This user has no status

Thanks
    yeah i guess i was gonna do pistons and rod but thinking about it its alot of work just to ruin a comphy volvo

wot sort of power can u get for not to much money? im gonna build a enging through the year to go in later is any1 going to combe in april who can take me for a spind so i no a spec to aim for? with a 16\18\19t or a kkk can u run a exturnel wastgate?

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    yeah i guess i was gonna do pistons and rod but thinking about it its alot of work just to ruin a comphy volvo

wot sort of power can u get for not to much money? im gonna build a enging through the year to go in later is any1 going to combe in april who can take me for a spind so i no a spec to aim for? with a 16\18\19t or a kkk can u run a exturnel wastgate?

You can have a external wastegate but it would be useless to fit one if your only going to be using the td04 series.
    To fit a external waste gate you would have to pay some one to weld up the valve for the internal wastegate in your exhaust housing then have a custom made down pipe with waste gate pipe work fitting in then have to buy a waste gate by doing this option it would roughly cost you £400- £500 for the down pipe then you would have to choose which external wastegate which range from £50 to £400.
    At the end of the day if you have around £1000 just fit a 16t/18t/19t standard down pipe injectors and remap

This user has no status

Thanks
    ok didnt no it was that much feel a bit enbaresed now

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    you can see now why i always ask what peoples budget is

This user has no status

Thanks
    yeah thank u u lot r alot of help on here
    is there any diffrence in 19t and a kkk?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi Rob,

I run a 19T, along with lots more mods (too much to list) @ 17psi (around 1.175 bar), and have a reliable, dyno proven 315bhp avarage, did run more, but bent a rod!!!, in all fairness that was down to bad mapping and a failed bcs, but personally wunt go any higher than 17, cos if owt does go slightly wrong then you WILL bend a rod.
    Why not fit a set of forged rods? plenty about now at very reasonable prices, cant think off hand the makes, but google it, you`ll find em!

Craig
    My awesome 855 Gone but never forgotton.

currently cruising (Hmmmm) in my S.60 2.0T, with mild mods, and a RICA remap. very niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

This user has no status
    Thanks
    oh, forgot to mention, i also run a gripper LSD, and its a bit of a handfull putting the power down, so if your running a standard diff, and around 300 brake, your not gunna get the traction, you need some uprated suspension and a LSD to put it down, otherwise you wasting your cash!

C
    My awesome 855 Gone but never forgotton.

currently cruising (Hmmmm) in my S.60 2.0T, with mild mods, and a RICA remap. very niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yes the KKK is a bigger turbo and wont suffer from choke as soon as the TD04 series models. An external wastegate is possible on volvo manifolds but they are not very pretty. A friend is running a tial external gate on a classic 70 T5 with an me7 manifold but he did need a plate welding to the turbo flange face to give more material for it to work.

Thread Information